Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Breeding E. Oceanops (Neon Goby)

Jolleyreefs

First off i want to say hello to everyone her at Nano-Reef. I have been checking this site out for quite some and decided it was time to chime in. Now on to the important thing....breeding neon gobies.

I received a pair from Sealifeinc.net in early January, and today i came home to a PVC pipe full of eggs. Below i have listed some tank specs

17.4g Mr. Aqua

Koralia nano 425

150W MH w/ 14k pheonix bulb

mixed reef with zoas, rics, favia, and a yellow gorgonia.

S.G. 1.024

SC Skimmer (it works 35% of the time)

all nitrite, trate, amm, read zero.

Anyways I ordered the rotifer kit from reeds mariculture, set up 3 2.5g buckets to split the cultures, and look forward to these babies hatching out. They will be housed in a divided 20 long in about 7g compartment. Will provide pics as soon as i can get a good one.

More to come,

MJ

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DSC03758.jpg

My neon goby pair

DSC03766.jpg

My male guarding the eggs(you can see the eggs, they are just to the right of him at the top of the pvc pipe. sorry for the blurry pic)

DSC03769.jpg

This is my rotifer setup. Three 2.5g buckets on an air splitter. They will be here sometime tomorrow.

From what i have read it usually takes 7-9 days for the eggs to hatch so probably monday or tuesday i will move the pipe over to the larval tank and run an air pump to keep some flow going.

altolamprologus

If you haven't seen this website before, I highly recommend taking a look.

Update this thread regularly, it's nice to see people breeding fish other than clowns (not that there's anything wrong with clowns). Good luck!

If you haven't seen this website before, I highly recommend taking a look.

Update this thread regularly, it's nice to see people breeding fish other than clowns (not that there's anything wrong with clowns). Good luck!

Yeah i tend to split my time searching here for coral and mofib for fish related stuff, and decided to add to the aquaculture portion. I noticed you are breeding P. kauderni and i am in a similar boat. I have yet to have my pair even consider spawning let alone get along.

altolamprologus
Yeah i tend to split my time searching here for coral and mofib for fish related stuff, and decided to add to the aquaculture portion. I noticed you are breeding P. kauderni and i am in a similar boat. I have yet to have my pair even consider spawning let alone get along.

Are you sure they're a pair? Maybe you got 2 females or something? They don't pair like clownfish though. Mine stay on their respective ends of the tank and only interact during feeding time and when spawning. It also takes a lot of food to get them to egg up so maybe that's the problem. I feed as much as they will eat several times a day. If I slack off and only feed once a day, it delays spawning.

Are you sure they're a pair? Maybe you got 2 females or something? They don't pair like clownfish though. Mine stay on their respective ends of the tank and only interact during feeding time and when spawning. It also takes a lot of food to get them to egg up so maybe that's the problem. I feed as much as they will eat several times a day. If I slack off and only feed once a day, it delays spawning.

Well i got mine as a juv. pair from inland aquatics so i hope they are a pair haha, and as far as feeding goes they are quite picky. I feed them mostly frozens soaked in selcon and occasionally freshly hatched bbs. What are you feeding yours?

altolamprologus
Well i got mine as a juv. pair from inland aquatics so i hope they are a pair haha, and as far as feeding goes they are quite picky. I feed them mostly frozens soaked in selcon and occasionally freshly hatched bbs. What are you feeding yours?

I got mine as a juv pair from inland too. At first they would eat nothing but live brine shrimp (which was a pain to say the least) but they slowly got used to frozen food and I now feed them PE mysis, nutrimar ova, frozen spirulina brine shrimp, enriched baby brine shrimp, cleaner shrimp zoea, and occasionally live brine, ghost shrimp and guppies

Great thread... Keep posting details as you progress. Once I have the space I'm definitely going to try something other then clowns myself.

FishEyeAquaculture

Ahh...I have had many failed attempts at cleaner gobies many years ago. I gave up, which i shouldn't have.

You have inspired me to try again...nice work!!! Best of luck and don't forget to have fun!!!! When raising marine fish, it is fun to do the impossible!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. This is gonna be my first attempt at rearing larval staged fish so i am really excited.

@Alto: I actually read a paper on the production of them and they also mentioned guppies as a great food source. I need more friends with guppy tanks so i can steal their fry lol. Here is a link to that paper: http://seagrant.soest.hawaii.edu/sites/sea...lfish-Final.pdf

altolamprologus
@Alto: I actually read a paper on the production of them and they also mentioned guppies as a great food source. I need more friends with guppy tanks so i can steal their fry lol. Here is a link to that paper: http://seagrant.soest.hawaii.edu/sites/sea...lfish-Final.pdf

Thanks for the link! Normally I wouldn't feed freshwater fish to saltwater fish, but I think in this case the extra fat from the guppies benefits the pair during breeding.

My order from Reed Mariculture came today so the rotifers are zooming around. I also received rotifer diet by reef nutrition which i will be adding about 1.5 mls to 2 a day into each bucket. They also sent me a sample of the otohime C1 which looks great, I will definitely consider adding this after meta occurs.

DSC03770.jpg

2 of the 3 buckets filled with rots

DSC03771.jpg

Sweet freebie

@Alto: how big roughly are the guppies you are feeding? Are they newborn or older?

altolamprologus

Wow nice freebies!

I usually feed newborn simply because the guppies are in my axolotl tank and they tend to get eaten within a few days of being born.

I may have to get into the guppy business haha.

Anyways just an update: There are now visible black eyespots at the tip of the eggs.

We are getting closer to hatch!

altolamprologus
I may have to get into the guppy business haha.

Anyways just an update: There are now visible black eyespots at the tip of the eggs.

We are getting closer to hatch!

So exciting!! omgomgomg You have to get pics of the larvae when they hatch :)

If you have the room, you could just get a couple brute trashcans, throw in a bunch of guppies and floating plants, and collect the babies when you need them.

Builder Anthony

i had some babys of them one time but i had 2 clowns 2 damsels and 3 neons.i first noticed them in some cheato swimming around my water parameters were probally a little off at the time when i was a noob.but there they were swimming around the cheato.my fish didnt really care they were in there but i figured i better get them out of there...i caught as many as i could and put the glass down next to the tank.....looked at them and went away like 10min only to find them all dead in the glass i was discusted.i would ask the breeders in here how to transfer them if u have any intent to do so

altolamprologus
i had some babys of them one time but i had 2 clowns 2 damsels and 3 neons.i first noticed them in some cheato swimming around my water parameters were probally a little off at the time when i was a noob.but there they were swimming around the cheato.my fish didnt really care they were in there but i figured i better get them out of there...i caught as many as i could and put the glass down next to the tank.....looked at them and went away like 10min only to find them all dead in the glass i was discusted.i would ask the breeders in here how to transfer them if u have any intent to do so

Wow, that sucks. I've read you can't net transfer larvae, is that what you did?

My plan is to transfer the entire piece of pvc and run some light aeration over the eggs. I am probably gonna do this sometime tonight or tomorrow because they are gradually getting darker and darker. Also i am gonna move the pvc with it still in water at all times. I don't know if air exposure to the eggs will hurt them but i am not taking any chances.

Builder Anthony

double check the tempeture and salt.i really am intrested because i had a pair but one was lost to ich.i think ill try again but im haveing better luck with corals .im on on my secong frag tank so after thats established i might give it another go

I am using 3/4 fresh mix and 1/4 old water from my goby tank. I made sure that both tanks have the same specific gravity and temp so i wont disturb what the eggs are used to. I am planning on transferring them over tonight. I will post pics of the eggs tonight if possible or post pics once they hatch.

Success! Today i spotted the first larval goby. These guys are TINY! It is about 2-3 mm in length (about the size of an ant) and completely transparent except for the eyes and a small area in the abdomen. I tried to get a picture but it wouldn't sit still and my camera is a bit underpowered for such a small fish. I will definitely be putting up pics once i get some(this may be a few days). Stay Tuned!

altolamprologus
Success! Today i spotted the first larval goby. These guys are TINY! It is about 2-3 mm in length (about the size of an ant) and completely transparent except for the eyes and a small area in the abdomen. I tried to get a picture but it wouldn't sit still and my camera is a bit underpowered for such a small fish. I will definitely be putting up pics once i get some(this may be a few days). Stay Tuned!

Congrats omgomgomg

Archived