Coral Vue Hydros

Odontodactylus scyllarus

reeftankguy

reeftankguy
This is tr best pic I have for now. If you can sex it that be great if not let me know why you need a pic of.

4b254945.jpg

Judging by the Bluish green section behind the carapace I would say its most likely a male... But to be definate about the sex you need to look at the underside of the Peacock Mantis...

My CAD12 has a glass lid... You can check it out in the 1st post pic's

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
New short clip (3/13/2012)... Just double click the pic...1947_eating_popcorn_and_drinking_be.gif

th_Mame3132012.jpg

Nice! Very colorful.

Just picked up my Mantis yesterday. Hopefully he starts coming out more like yours so I can get some decent shots!

How's the feeding?

reeftankguy

Hey... Thanks man!

Yes I saw the pics of your mantis on RC...

Mine eats like a starved stepchild, and I feed her everyday!

reeftankguy
Cool... What do you feed yours?

His main diet is Bait Shrimp... I also have feed him a molly and a few snails as a weekend treat.

Looking good. Thanks for the sexing info.

I'm surprised he takes the mollies. I recently put a damsel in w my guy and he doesn't look twice at it.

reeftankguy
Looking good. Thanks for the sexing info.

I'm surprised he takes the mollies. I recently put a damsel in w my guy and he doesn't look twice at it.

Yeah from what I have read, they dont take after fast swimmers... The fresh water molly was actually stunned as soon as it hit the water...

• 2 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope

Beautiful animal! Very nice tank. Any other stocking plans?

BTW, keep that puppy away. The Mantis would probably eat it! LOL!

reeftankguy
Beautiful animal! Very nice tank. Any other stocking plans?

BTW, keep that puppy away. The Mantis would probably eat it! LOL!

lol... No other stocking plans... This type of mantis is deep water species and cant handle the intensity of light that most corals need and cause shell rot. As for fish... its hit or miss. She could eat them! I put 12 snails in the tank a couple of weeks ago and she ate every last one and then Molted...

He fed it to the mantis, see post # 7

lol... No! Thats my baby girl... And thanks for reading my thread Kat :flower:

reeftankguy
Your tank is 'busch' league, jon.

Ha very Clever UFO... Are we realated? Do you know my cousins Kurt and Kyle?

Mantis Shrimp freak me out :wub:

More than...lets say "4 year old Twinkies" :slap:

• 4 weeks later...
TheUnfocusedOne

Great looking mantis.

Still think the tank is a bit small, but you're doing much much better than the after smuck I've seen taking care of them.

Great looking mantis.

Still think the tank is a bit small, but you're doing much much better than the after smuck I've seen taking care of them.

Hey now...I take offense to being called after smuck :). J/K. Not sure who you're talking about :P.

Funny that she made a new home. Completely left the PVC?

TheUnfocusedOne
Hey now...I take offense to being called after smuck :) . J/K. Not sure who you're talking about :P .

Funny that she made a new home. Completely left the PVC?

Oh no, not you. If you go on youtube and search around there are some pretty ####ty mantis tanks out there.

I remember my lfs had one in one of those 1 gal portable goldfish containers with a single branching piece of coral and some gravel. The thing looked misserable.

Oh no, not you. If you go on youtube and search around there are some pretty ####ty mantis tanks out there.

I remember my lfs had one in one of those 1 gal portable goldfish containers with a single branching piece of coral and some gravel. The thing looked misserable.

Lol...Yeah, there are some crazy things on youtube...Like the guy hand feeding the mantis that gets smacked. Or the one that puts his finger right by the cave...just to see what happen... Silly people..

Archived