Cultivated Reef

Jarquarium Challenge

Whys

Jarquarium is a TM of ajmckay.

Jarquarium Challenge

Build a Self Sustaining Pico in a Jar

jarquarium.jpg[details]

Goal: Use the linked jar above, or similar container, to create a sealed, self sustaining biotope, similar to an Ecosphere.

Explanation: When we all use a similar jar and work together, we limit the unknowns, can control our variables, and replicate each other's results. It makes it possible to form control-groups and experimental-groups for identifying particular variables with a degree of certainty, and each jar added to the experiment expands the total research potential.

Purpose: Fun, discovery, and bragging rights. ;)

Resources:

Ecosphere Handbook

Ecosphere (aquarium) -- Wiki

petshrimp.com

shrimpspot.com

Opae ula (Hawaiian Red Shrimp) -- Reproduction Basics

Micro-Lobster -- Reproduction Cycle

Misc:

Glass Globes

*The first two posts will be updated as needed.

Edited by Whys

Show Case:

The intention of this showcase is to present factual results that can be duplicated or verified. Claims posted elsewhere in this thread are largely beyond my control. It is up to the individual to decide for themselves what they do and don't believe, but any claim without a showcase entry to support it, should be questioned and taken with extreme skepticism. ;)

*listed in order of first photo submitted.

new-b-reefer : my reef in a bottle experiment
IMAG0085.jpg
Apr 5, 2012 (4.75 months sealed) : amphipod, spionid worm, chaeto.

AquaticEngineer : Video of the Sitka Shrimp and Tigriopus Californicus
P1010062.jpg
Mar 15, 2012

Whys : [details]
whys_jarquarium2.jpg
Mar 19, 2012 (0 days sealed) :D

ajmckay : 2 Qt. sealed pico experiment
2012-02-26221849.jpg
Feb 29, 2012

herranton : Canned Shrimp
20121010_005942.jpg
Oct 9, 2012 (7 months sealed): 1 Hawaiian Red Shrimp.

new-b-reefer : my reef in a bottle X2 experiment (added another one)
new-b-reefer2.jpg
Mar 27, 2012 (7 days sealed)

rb1685
rb1685.jpg
Jun 6, 2012

AquaticEngineer
temporary-3.jpg
Dec 18, 2012

Edited by Whys

I've bought 2 jars and they should be here in a week.

I like the idea of measuring pH and ammonia just before sealing it, then just after unsealing it, and then 1 hour after that. I'm concerned that upon unsealing it, even if ammonia doesn't spike, a CO2 swing could swing the pH. That could be a problem even if the jar was quickly opened and closed because the CO2 change will have occurred within the air pocket.

----------

Good science dictates that we would first attempt to recreate a working model. That would be the Ecosphere, and that is where I would personally like to start, but I need at least 1 other partner to take that same track with me. Anyone?

Edited by Whys

There seems to be a lot of interest in creating this kind of biotope right now, so I created this thread in an attempt to get as many people on the same "page" as possible. I'm happy to contribute 2 jars to the team effort and manage this thread in a neutral manner, but what direction this research takes is up to the group.

I would like to use my own 2 jars in an attempt to recreate an ecosphere because I think that's the most sensible place to begin. However, I have another thread I'm very involved in right now and so don't wish to be the lead on this, just a contributing partner.

The ecosphere only contains some sand, filimentous green hair algae, a pocket of air, and the red shrimp. That's it. And the one NASA designed that I have in my home is over 15 years old.

My own will probably petter out soon, but I really want to build one for my daughter as an acrylic window pane for our new house. It would be an interior window.

Typically, ecospheres just need ambient heat and light. The magic is in never needing to feed or clean.

Edited by Whys
AquaticEngineer

I'm sooooooo down for this. I think I already have everything except the jars. ;)

I literally just made 6 glass 1/2 gallon cylinders last night with coldwater tidepool animals.

Edited by AquaticEngineer

If people would like a different jar, that's fine. I'm just trying to build consensus, and the jar seems a great place to start for that. It also makes it easier for people to draw comparisons based on nothing more than visual inspection of photos. That said, if there is a more appropriate jar, please suggest it. The one I've linked was suggested by mmcguffi. I've show cased it here because I find his reasoning for it selection to be impeccable. :)

I'll give some live photos once mine arrive and test for visual distortion when filled with water. Then the group can decide if it wishes to select a different jar.

It's all about consensus, because that's where all the real power is. ;)

Edited by Whys

I'm in!

With another jar but in nontheless ;)

Its a 1.75 L (.46g) plastic jar with a purple transparant lid.

It has some fresh water, some water from my tank and regular coral sand in it for now.

The jar is lit by a single 4W GU10 bulb with 30 degree optics resting on the lid.

IMG_05491.jpg

I will start a thread soon.

Jb

Whys, interesting. I have had one going for 3 weeks now. Different jar though.

Here is a progression, photo

woah pj definitely need to share some details

that's not sealed is it? and you definitely have some kind of supplemental lighting, yea?

AquaticEngineer
I did mine with glass cylinder vases from the dollar store, but they dont have lids. I'll get some pics up of mine soon for you guys.

As promised ;)

IMG_20120210_080007.jpg

IMG_20120210_080023.jpg

IMG_20120210_080042.jpg

IMG_20120210_080125.jpg

AquaticEngineer

For tanks inhabitants I am using multiple color variants of Sitka shrimp native to the pacific coast of Oregon, trying out several kinds of algae, keeping tigriopus calicornicus in there as an additional food source for the shrimp, and I just started playing with using individual mussels as a filter after my larger biotope had a phytoplankton bloom.

Cleared up the water overnight without any water changes :)

Everything I am keeping is found in the upper tidal or splash zones, so temperature fluctuations are normal to them as well as low oxygen concentrations.

I might try some small limpets or chitons as well.

woah pj definitely need to share some details

I'm not sure that's his intention. ;)

Impressive work, as always Pj. When do intend to unseal it and what tests do you intend to run when you do?

Edited by Whys
I'm not sure that's his intention. ;)

really? that would be really lame to withhold info from the community--this place is about learning not being a braggart

I cant see that as pj has kept a very detailed account of his 3 gal, breeding, and has won totm and whatnot

Edited by mmcguffi

Alright, everybody seems to privately feel that the jar itself is an unimportant matter. Behold my powers of intuition. :D

I gently disagree and have given my reasoning. I will continue to promote mmcguffi's jar selection and jar replication in general, while acknowledging that the group has deemed it irrelevant. :)

Given the above, I will likely purchase more of my own jars, the very same jars, for purposes of exact replication.

Does anyone know if the filamentous algae in the ecosphere is anything special or hard obtain? Is it just long green hair algae? Could I just pull some from my overflow?

really? that would be really lame to withhold info from the community--this place is about learning not being a braggart

I cant see that as pj has kept a very detailed account of his 3 gal, breeding, and has won totm and whatnot

Pj is not a braggart. He has genuine cred. There's a real difference.

Frankly, I welcome his enthusiasm for success and have no doubt he will share all necessary information, as circumstance dictates. :)

Sorry if that wasn't obvious.

Edited by Whys

lol I wouldnt say it's my jar selection--I just posted that cuz I thought about using it as a tank a couple of times. and to be honest I was going to drill it for pumps and wire in LEDs and stuff

personally I think any seal-able jar--or even open to the air jars--would more than suffice. youll prolly get more people involved that way. lots of people have jars on hand, but not many have an acrylic cylindrical cigar humidor

Edited by mmcguffi
AquaticEngineer
Great start! What algae are you using? Is that Chaeto?

Using 4 different kinds that I collected. All are temperate species of algae, I'll pull out my reference books tonight and ID them.

AquaticEngineer

The four types of algae I am using are:

Tiny Tube Sea Lettuce (Blidingia spp.)

Green Excelsior (Chaetomorpha spp.)

Sea Moss (Cladophora spp)

Sea Lettuce (Ulva spp)

In my larger vase I have 3 kinds of algae currently and I just added several more shrimp. (total of about 8 now)

The smaller cylinders all have a single type of algae in each one and 2 shrimp.

All of them have been seeded with established tank water from my main systems, as well as tigriopus californicus as a reproducing food source for the shrimp as well as a way to dispose of decaying algae.

Edited by AquaticEngineer
  • Like 1