ReefCleaners.org

Smallest Heater?

mikecoscia

Trying to find the smallest heater I can get with a built in thermostat. I have the fluval spec, and the current hydro 25w I have is a little to larger to fit above the pump. Has anyone come across something smaller?

AquaticDiscounts

The Temp Tec heater are the smallest I've ever seen and had. You just have to find a local fish store that carry s them.. Its about the size of a sharpie marker, and most places sell them for less than 15 bucks

There are some flat rubber mini heaters like this one

I bought one to eat my water in a bucket for water changes, temp is never the same, and at most heats up 3 gallons a whopping 5 degrees above room temperature. I'd be pissed if I didn't buy it for 3 dollars.

I thought that was the point of the flat mini ones? Heat like 3 degrees above room temp. I've seen people connect those to a rkl since they dont have a thermostat and they were descent for a pico and the size is awesome

EDIT: Link says 5 degrees above room temp lol

Trying to find the smallest heater I can get with a built in thermostat. I have the fluval spec, and the current hydro 25w I have is a little to larger to fit above the pump. Has anyone come across something smaller?

Deep Blue Stik 60w I use this in my Fluval Edge 12 gallons tank. You can't control the temp but my water stays at a constant 80 degrees and it's super tiny, it fits in my small AC20 filter with Chemi-Pure Elite and Purigen. They have in a 15w and 30w model as well Deep Blue Stik 15w

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but not sure I trust the preset units. Def want something I can adjust.

Then get something more powerful and run it through a RKL to maintain that temp.

You can't get everything without paying for it in another way.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I would recommend the Hagen Elite 25 watt, it's small enough to fit in our smallest Pico that is only 1.6 gallons and 9 inches in length...

We have them on our site, hope this helps you out... And they do have a thermostat!

MG

Then get something more powerful and run it through a RKL to maintain that temp.

You can't get everything without paying for it in another way.

+1. my heaters are cranked up to 85, but they are on controller + temp probe. I don't think I trust those tiny built-in temperature sensors

There are some flat rubber mini heaters like this one

They are designed to raise the tank temperature 7 degrees above ambient. So if you set your ac to 75, you are going to have a pretty warm tank at 82*.

It is best to use it if you keep the room temperature around 72 throughout the day, or use it on a controller. Still kind of finicky though, sometimes doesn't turn on, sometimes doesn't shut off. Controller turns it on, but the internal thermo keeps it off, etc.

I'd look into Hydor Theo 25 or 50w. Smallest you are going to get

I have been looking for a mini heater for my 0.5 gal set up as well. At the 10 watt range, none of available heaters have very reliable built-in thermostat. You have to take some product reviews with a grain of salt. When they say the product fails to heat up the tank to 78 when it advertises such, it is probably because they are heating it from a 65 ambient temperature and the thing doesn't have enough power to heat it up to 78.

The flat Hydor 7W/15W heater, which doesn't have a thermostat, advertises that it heats about 5 degrees above ambient. So that should give you an idea the output of 10 watt range heaters. Personally, for the very small scale, I think you need to buy/make your own temperature sensor and hook it up to a slightly overpowered heater. Nothing on the market is really reliable enough.

This is the aqueon pro 25w pretty small but it is preset, very slim. Heats my 5g acclimation tank right up to 78. And my basement is a blistering 60 or lower :D

DSCN4348.jpg

DSCN4349.jpg

• 2 months later...

I was going to start a new thread, but it makes more sense to pile on here so the info. is in fewer places.

Just got my new Finnex Titanium 50w heater for my 3-gallon Picotope (the office gets real cold during winter weekends and tank doesn't stay warm w. less than 50w).

Anyway, this thing is just 5.5" and you submerge the whole thing and mount it horizontally. Until now my longer heaters could only fit diagonally across the back, looking real ugly. I'll be able to hide this one! :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YJW58...s00_i00_details

When I started 18 months ago, I searched and searched for shorter heaters, and there weren't any except 10w always-on heaters. Now it seems like several companies have thermostatic heaters under 7", looks like they are responding to customer demand!

Well, forrestp38829 has me beat w. a 4.5" Archaea. I this arena fellers, the one with the SHORTEST length wins, lol. :lol::lol::lol:

• 4 years later...

To res a hella old thread. Youd rather have a mildly undersize heater than oversize in case it fails in the on position it doesn't boil your tank. All heaters that fail in the off position have the same outcome a cooler (temp) tank. Heaters that fail in the on position, that are oversize, have disasterous results.

Archived