Top Shelf Aquatics

Show Off Your Shallows!

pschom

I've always been a big fan of shallow tanks and now that I have one I'm completely obsessed with it.

Here's what I'd like to see:

Post a pic of your shallow tank

Describe lighting, filtration

I'd love to start something so others can benefit, so I'll kick it off:

7132b46d.jpg

Deep Blue 30 gallon RR Rimless (frag tank) with Deep Blue stand

Aquaillumination SOL LED module with 1 blue Sunner Strip for looks

16H Sump with mechanical filtration (chemi pure elite and purigen)

Reef Octopus 150 skimmer

Mag 3 return

Custom Rain ATO

Here's a photo:

P1010535Medium.jpg

Here's a video:

Lighting: Reef Filtration's 120w 18K LED light fixture

Filtration method: CPR Aerofuge with Aeroforce Skimmer + 5G weekly waterchanges (Red Sea Salt)

Livestock: Mixed Reef, with four fish, three serpent stars, cucumber, and two cleaner shrimps (Fire and Skunk)

Issues:

- Battled bryopsis (Fixed with Tech M treatments and better filtration)

- Currently have no surface skimmer (Will fix using custom surface skimmer box and aerofuge intake pump)

- Sand is suffering from funk overload due to past mistakes. Will begin sand swapping/cleaning during waterchanges.

Just getting mine set up, 12g Mr Aqua using 2 canister filters filled with live rock. I love having such easy access to it, easy to reach in and work on everything. It sits in the middle of our living room behind the couch so needs to be viewable from all sides, which it is.

Lights: 3 Rapid LED Par 38. Right now they are in a vertical lamp fixture buy I'm probably going to experiment with a hanging fixture soon. Although the lamp fixture is super convenient and really doesn't look too bad.

Stocking: I have 2 clownfish and 3 green chromis which is probably already maxing it out

Issues: No overflow so had film on top of water, had to add a second MP10 to get rid of it.

img_6314sm.png

I love this tank! Thanks for the addition! (electrobes) Man I'm having issue with my sand as well. All this brown cyano like algae showed up out of nowhere. Sux.

Figured I would throw my old tank in here. I took it down last February after the contest.

48"x18"x10"

IMG_2044.jpg

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=241689

Dude what the F?! You tore it down? How? You better have something good to take the place of that. ;) It's amazing. What u got now? Oh nevermind you have a few. I'll have to take a look at these. Wow

Just getting mine set up, 12g Mr Aqua using 2 canister filters filled with live rock. I love having such easy access to it, easy to reach in and work on everything. It sits in the middle of our living room behind the couch so needs to be viewable from all sides, which it is.

Lights: 3 Rapid LED Par 38. Right now they are in a vertical lamp fixture buy I'm probably going to experiment with a hanging fixture soon. Although the lamp fixture is super convenient and really doesn't look too bad.

Stocking: I have 2 clownfish and 3 green chromis which is probably already maxing it out

Issues: No overflow so had film on top of water, had to add a second MP10 to get rid of it.

img_6314sm.png

This is great too. Minimalist scape, and I really like looooong tanks. Definitely that will be my next setup when I get a house. Be cool to build a really long one into a wall. Def 5 fish in a 12 gallon is quite a bit! What is the filtration? Thanks for the addition.

Here's a photo:

P1010535Medium.jpg

Here's a video:

Lighting: Reef Filtration's 120w 18K LED light fixture

Filtration method: CPR Aerofuge with Aeroforce Skimmer + 5G weekly waterchanges (Red Sea Salt)

Livestock: Mixed Reef, with four fish, three serpent stars, cucumber, and two cleaner shrimps (Fire and Skunk)

Issues:

- Battled bryopsis (Fixed with Tech M treatments and better filtration)

- Currently have no surface skimmer (Will fix using custom surface skimmer box and aerofuge intake pump)

- Sand is suffering from funk overload due to past mistakes. Will begin sand swapping/cleaning during waterchanges.

Whats the coral on the left side blowing all over the place i love that look and whats the coral on top of the center rock is it an anemone?

BTW all ur guys shallows are awesome

This is great too. Minimalist scape, and I really like looooong tanks. Definitely that will be my next setup when I get a house. Be cool to build a really long one into a wall. Def 5 fish in a 12 gallon is quite a bit! What is the filtration? Thanks for the addition.

It's got 2 canister filters, both filled with live rock... kind of an experiment. Not sure if it is going to work or not. With the 2 canisters the water volume is probably up in the 20-24g range.

Sorry, but we already have a nice big thread for shallow aquariums, made a while back. I'll ask if one of the moderators can just merge the threads.

Next time, a simple search might do the trick.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...&hl=Aj_Tsin

That would be great. I promise I searched it and didn't see anything. Sure got quite a few responses in a couple hours though! Thank guys!

kristonenicolas

219226a8.jpg

a80a92c1.jpg

12g Mr. Aqua

Lighting: (2) RapidLED PAR38

Flow: MP10

Overflow: Eshopps PF-Nano Overflow

Filtration: 10g custom sump

Skimmer: SWC Xtreme 120 Cone Skimmer

Return: Eheim Compact 1000

ATO: JBJ ATO

Crap I was looking for something like this!!

I want to build from 1/4" glass a 2.5'X 4' X 14" and light it with T5HO. I want to incorporate a central island with a lot of partially submerged pieces of rock, with a central inflow and a hidden overflow in the tank.

Any things to watch out for? I know cubes are terrible for scaping and such, are there any "rules" for shallow tanks like my example?

IMO something considered shallow is half as deep as it is from front to back. Or at least 12" or less tall.

I'm selling a 32x24x15 because it's too deep for me. I want 32x24x12. Shallow tanks are all I would ever own. Great for SPS!

That would be great. I promise I searched it and didn't see anything. Sure got quite a few responses in a couple hours though! Thank guys!

No worries dude. Sometimes the results you're looking for aren't exactly on the first few pages, so you have to dig a little more. ;)

Whats the coral on the left side blowing all over the place i love that look and whats the coral on top of the center rock is it an anemone?

BTW all ur guys shallows are awesome

Hi Vash! The left side coral is Anthelia, a common soft coral that should be easily found. The center top coral is actually a yellow fiji leather. Unfortunately my new lights, as of now, is washing out the yellow. :D

No worries dude. Sometimes the results you're looking for aren't exactly on the first few pages, so you have to dig a little more. ;)

I'm much to lazy to go to page 2.

Great tanks everyone. I guess keep them coming. If some one merges the two shallow threads should be a lot of good stuff.

219226a8.jpg

a80a92c1.jpg

12g Mr. Aqua

Lighting: (2) RapidLED PAR38

Flow: MP10

Overflow: Eshopps PF-Nano Overflow

Filtration: 10g custom sump

Skimmer: SWC Xtreme 120 Cone Skimmer

Return: Eheim Compact 1000

ATO: JBJ ATO

kristonenicolas your tank is awesome! I am thinking about getting the 12 gallon long Mr. Aqua also. How often do you do water changes and how big are your water changes?? The whole way you are running your system is exactly how i had mine planned out. Do you have any pictures of your sump?

Archived