Top Shelf Aquatics

Coral PAR Chart Anywhere?

Owl's_Head

I'm still tinkering with my new Skyye 30W LED that came with my Nuvo38, and all I'm really going off of so far is the PAR chart for the light I found online.

I'm currently dripping a piece of Frogspawn from my 60G Reef tank to place in the new tank... And I can't really find any info on the PAR needed for the Frogspawn as far as placement goes.

Is there a chart or a site that lists that PAR for a bunch of different coral around? I searched, but couldn't really find much.

Would be useful down the road.

PAR is pretty useless IMO. The dinoflagellates in coral (zooxanthellae) have a large range of different chlorophyll complexes. This variety makes the whole PAR thing silly imo. One coral may utilize a certain wavelength of light more effectively than another. Furthermore the pigments the corals produce can either compete against or power these microscopic algae powerhouses

personally I think just playing around with where you place the coral is best. more of an art than a science. fwiw frogspawn is fairly tolerant of different light levels, though in the wild it is found in slightly deeper waters. as such they seem to prefer 'moderate' lighting the most

OK, thanks.

On my Skyye instructions, it give you a general rating

Just wondering if it was a good guideline, or if there was anything more specific.

I put the frogspawn in the range this says to, we'll see if it comes out tomorrow.

17tx89.jpg

lol at skyye instructions.

Lol at Skyye or instructions?

I was just going off of their PAR suggestions, which apparently is uniform and all I'm finding; that chart.

But it also gives you the depths and PAR from Skyye

There are more than several exceptions to what that chart says. A general rule can be given for how much light some species should receive, but it's always best to look it up for the specific piece you get before you get it. For example, there are deep-water acro's that require very little light to color up and do well. Some photosynthetic gorgs should be given high light and the non-photosynthetic ones can be placed in the shade. It's all circumstantial. But yes, that chart could be used as a general rule, although i wouldn't because there are so many exceptions.

Archived