Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Past the $1000 mark...

Singlefin

One of the things I've noticed is I look around for places to spend money. Do I really need a dosing pump, a new light fixture, a reef controller, a new tank? Sometimes I have to sit back and realize I just need to be happy with what I have, right after I add a couple more things. :(

and sometimes we just make thing more complicated than it suppose to be...i like simple tank with less upkeep. skimmer, powerheads, heater, ato, controller light reactor ..that about it..dosing can be done via ato

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and sometimes we just make thing more complicated than it suppose to be...i like simple tank with less upkeep. skimmer, powerheads, heater, ato, controller light reactor ..that about it..dosing can be done via ato

to make a tank less complicated to maintain you first have to make it more complicated by adding controllers, wires, switches, pumps and other cool expensive stuff! :)

i buy and build all these things and tell my girlfriend that it will make our lives easier and allow us to go on vacations. little does she know. lol

It's amazing how much you can save my doing weekly water changes and just keeping an eye on the tank. Then again, the problem most run into is 3-6 months in the weekly become monthly, the monthly become quarterly, and then the tank gets broken down and the deadstock thrown out.

Noob here with a 1 month old biocube.

BC14 combo from LFS with tank,stand,oceanic power head, oceanic skimmer, and matching UV sterilizer cost me 325.00

Live rock 80.00

Sand 25.00

3.24 lighting upgrade 75.00

JBJ ato 65.00

Heater 25.00

Other misc aprox 100.00

30.00 in livestock

Aprox 700.00 as of now, that 1k mark is approaching quickly!

This is a cheap hobby compared to others, having said that, my tank is less than four months old and I don't want to even think about the $$$$ I have spent with that dude from Intank, I forget his name.

Cheap hobby compared to what...Owning a plane?

Shooting is pretty expensive too.

+1. Try not to think how much I've spent on guns. But I'm happy knowing they are there when I need them.

Cheap hobby compared to what...Owning a plane?

Deep sea fishing. My reels are $1000 each and I NEED 5 of them.

+1. Try not to think how much I've spent on guns. But I'm happy knowing they are there when I need them.

I don't do myself any favors by shooting .50AE either. :lol:

Golf maybe. It's close.

Haha $1000 set of irons,$ 450 dollar driver, $200 dollar putter, box of pro v1s 50 bucks. Its a race which costs more my tanks or my golf game. Just the other day i got a sweet deal(50 bucks) on a 250W MH fixture just needed a bulb. Bulb cost 100 bucks lol twice as much as the fixture :eek: .

I had to stomp on the brakes at $800 or so (AIO, LR, LS corals and critters). Now I just frag the original corals and place them in different areas of the tank to fill it out. Just a bucket of salt every 6 months, new T5 bulbs when needed and ~$50/yr of electricity.

Yeah, ok, I know its not very 'exciting', but after the high cost of running a 50gal for a decade I decided my nano would have to be the quintessential 'McFrugal' tank.

For me, it started at, "Well, it's only $150 for the tank and about $150 to fill it with live rock, live sand and fish. Corals are just extras." Then it was, "Well, it should only be around $400 because I'm not buying corals." Then it was, "Well, I'm only going to get a few corals and let them grow." Then it was, "The anemone is only $200... I can add it to the other ten that ranged from $50 to $200!"

i dont wana know what ive spent.. .but luckly i got a buddy with a wholesale license ... makes getting things alllot cheaper. :P

but at the same time i think hey this is so much cheaper i should by more.. and then buy more stuff then i would have normaly.

Archived