inTank Media Baskets

attack of the clown

bwalsdorf711

I bought 2 juvenile clowns that have lived peacefully for the last 6 months, but in this past week the slightly larger one has been pretty relentlessly bullying the other. Should I take action or just let them be?

randythefishdude
I bought 2 juvenile clowns that have lived peacefully for the last 6 months, but in this past week the slightly larger one has been pretty relentlessly bullying the other. Should I take action or just let them be?

hmm id sell one to my lfs

They are working out who is going to be female. I would let them be and just make sure the smaller one doesn't get too beat up. They should be able to settle it on their own.

They are working out who is going to be female. I would let them be and just make sure the smaller one doesn't get too beat up. They should be able to settle it on their own.

+1. This is just what they do. As long as it doesn't look life threatening.

Yep, this is exactly whats going on. Do be careful though and monitor the 'lil guy for stress. It important that your smallest of your pair show some submission, otherwise these fights can result in the death of one. Occasionally, the clowns can get pretty beat up.

If this happens, one trick I use is to rearrange your live rocks around during your next cleaning. Doing this distracts the fish into thinking they are in a new part of the "ocean" and will force them to behave (for a bit anyway).

I bought a pair of clowns a couple of weeks back. When choosing them, the lfs clerk picked out one that was almost double the size of the other one. So far they have been very compatible and swim around together most of the time. I imagine the time will come when this mating phenomenon will take place in my tank. Or is there a chance that my pair have already decided their roles?

I bought a pair of clowns a couple of weeks back. When choosing them, the lfs clerk picked out one that was almost double the size of the other one. So far they have been very compatible and swim around together most of the time. I imagine the time will come when this mating phenomenon will take place in my tank. Or is there a chance that my pair have already decided their roles?

It is possible that the LFS clerk picked out the alpha female from the store tank and gave you that. So their roles could be already established. However, its more likely, your pair is immature and will need to sort out their roles later. Keep an eye on them until you know for sure.

Archived