SaltCritters.com

Crazy Ideas Or Scapes

nickjqz

So I have a 4 ft 60 gallon tank that I am planning to upgrade to over summer and I was wondering if any one has any crazy ideas that I may be able to incorporate into my tank. I am going to make my own rock so I was looking for some crazy ideas as far as rockscapes but feel free to share anything, I am open to ideas!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else have any out of this world crazy ideas?

I was thinking of having the tank be peninsula style so that it could be viewed three ways.

I was actually thinking about construction a cross out of live rock and having it be the centerpiece of my SPS tank. If you are religious, it would be a pretty cool idea. I think it would actually look kinda nice with coral growing on it. There are a couple of ways I was thinking about doing it... Either getting a piece of rock and using a chisel on it to get it to the shape you want, or you could find two, long, cylindrical rocks and fuse them somehow. Maybe you could cut a slot in one to fit the other where it wouldn't look awkward, then use concrete to hold them together. Just something I've been thinking about doing, but not quite sure how to approach it. You're are welcomed to use the idea if you would like! :)

If you aren't religious, you could choose a symbol that means something to you. Maybe like the hammer and hook for the communist flag. If you wanted to go really whack, you could create a fish tank out of rock and put it inside your fish tank. :D

This wouldn't work on a 4' tank (I imagine it in a small cube) but I want to see an upside down scape:

NQ9mw.jpg

Bad drawing, but you get the picture.

This wouldn't work on a 4' tank (I imagine it in a small cube) but I want to see an upside down scape:

Bad drawing, but you get the picture.

Hmm, I wonder how that could be accomplished in a cube.

Joel didn't you have an idea about a tank with all of the live rock filtration in the sump and some big colonies of sps as the scape? I think it was you but I am not sure.

I have posted that as an idea, but I wouldn't claim to be the first one to think of it. But the idea would be to cover the bottom with egg crate and get a bunch of SPS on frag plugs and cover the floor. Then you just remove the slower growers and sell them until you have 4-6 massive colonies.

And how to accomplish an upside down scape is you drill the top of the rock and use clear acrylic cross braces to hold it on the top of the tank. Then you put a mirror on the bottom and either light it from the top at an angle or from two sides.

I'd like to do it but I don't do well with more than one tank, one tank gets more attention then I get overwhelmed with the routine.

That would be neat but I imagine it would take a while.

I have a few ideas let me know what you think

view%202.JPG

2view1.JPG

2view2.JPG

I do not think that any of these would be solid rock but more like stacked in the position maybe and then the little curved ramps would be to showcase like an acro colony or a maze brain coral or a chalice. The coral "Stands" would also be on the scape that has the "rock wall" in the middle

how about a scape that looks like it defies gravity, but is either weight balanced or has supports that are underneath the sand ect.

__

__/ I

____/ I

_/ ____/

/ __/

/ /

essentially _I__I________________

With the bottom line being either an acrylic sheet that you bury underneath the sand that is connected to an acrylic pole that is in the first part of the rock. so essentially it looks like all of the rock should be constantly falling over, but it doesn't.

how about a scape that looks like it defies gravity, but is either weight balanced or has supports that are underneath the sand ect.

__

__/ I

____/ I

_/ ____/

/ __/

/ /

essentially _I__I________________

With the bottom line being either an acrylic sheet that you bury underneath the sand that is connected to an acrylic pole that is in the first part of the rock. so essentially it looks like all of the rock should be constantly falling over, but it doesn't.

Like the scape I have now. :)

well that attempt at a drawing completely failed, but imagine int your first drawing if you were to make that wedge flloat above the sand on one side.

Be really cool to have that upside down cube idea but have it made of acryllic and then have a circle cut underneath the stand and then have like a kessil 150 point up at the tank.

How about just make some DIY rock and rebuild the Qbert game screen?

qbert.png

Well I am definitely making my own rock which is why I thought that I would ask for some crazy scape ideas.

I really like the Kessil idea and think that that would make for a very interesting tank.

look up the volcano tank on youtube. it is very cool.

Have read that whole thread!!! I really like the lagoon he did at the end.

A scape making a protected atoll in the middle, like a lagoon.

Thad be really cool but more like a rimless tank idea I am probably going to have a DIY wood hood on mine.

You could create a fish tank out of rock and put it inside your fish tank. :D

Yo dawg, I heard you like fish tanks...

I don't think anything beats a simple scape. My ideal shape would be half a mountain peak kind of shape against the left side of the tank, and one small, round rock in the middle/ right side.

Yo dawg, I heard you like fish tanks...

I don't think anything beats a simple scape. My ideal shape would be half a mountain peak kind of shape against the left side of the tank, and one small, round rock in the middle/ right side.

Pictures? :flower: Please.

Yeah, just completely ignore my ideas. Don't even respond to them. And if you do respond to them, you can just say something completely irrelevant and unfunny that makes no sense in the context it was said. :)

Archived