Pod Your Reef

Lighting for a 15 Column

idontwan2know

idontwan2know

So I'm looking at starting a nano-reef using this tank: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11390248

I'm going to use RapidLED's 12 LED retrofit kit for the BioCube 14: http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-228/Pl...Dimmable/Detail

My question is, should I add optics (55 degrees?) to the LEDs to account for the greater height of the column tank? From what I've seen this kit at full blast is too strong for the BC14, so would just running them full bore get enough light down to the bottom of the 15?

I'd like enough light to grow all types of corals, but not necessarily clams or anemones.

OMG that is so sweet! I had no idea petsmart had something so cool, and great price! I can't wait to see how it turns out. Do a tank build thread...pleeaassee:)

No idea on your question. I have the 12kit on a 12g AP so its what 15" deep. no lenses, perfect for that depth. Very little light spillage. But yours is 24" high.... I think lenses are a good idea. 80 60 40..?? Someone here will probably have a great suggestion! I'd probably do some wider 80's to prevent spotlighting and some 55 (60,40) for more intensity...

thanks a lot! now there's another tank i NEED to buy! :P

idontwan2know

Yeah, I've been wanting to do a nano for a while but wasn't very satisfied with the tank options I had, then I found that one on sale(there's an additional 10% coupon code beyond the sale price) just as the tax return money came in. It was meant to be!

As to my original question, after posting this I found the AquaStyle 14 LED kit for less than half the price and it includes 55 degree lenses, so I'm just gonna go with that.

I will definitely be doing a build thread once I get started.

Yeah, I've been wanting to do a nano for a while but wasn't very satisfied with the tank options I had, then I found that one on sale(there's an additional 10% coupon code beyond the sale price) just as the tax return money came in. It was meant to be!

As to my original question, after posting this I found the AquaStyle 14 LED kit for less than half the price and it includes 55 degree lenses, so I'm just gonna go with that.

I will definitely be doing a build thread once I get started.

Cool! I looked at aquastyles and decided against it because of the soldering, but if you're cool with that then great! People here have been really happy with the service and product (despite shipping time issues...it is from china after all!) Its also only $10 less after shipping ($57+32 vs $85+10(HS)+6(s/h) (12DIY kits w/ lenses), definitely not $50 or 60 less or I would have bought it, I'm super cheap! $10 for faster shipping and higher quality LEDs is what made my choice easy. But I understand about saving money for the important stuff-FRAGS! haha

looking forward to the build thread...I saw the %10 off coupon SOOOO tempting!!!! And i just got my taxes in too REFUND! :D

did you get the tank?! Do you have a tank thread, I'd love to watch this grow! I'm realllly considering getting one for freshwater. Curious as to how many watts the T5's it comes with are and what the ballast capacity is for expansion- and the interior hood space available for retros:)

I am running the same tank and just posted the same question. I have a cree 12 led kit in mine. I ran the kit at full power for about 10 hours aday and my corals are growing like crazy. while doing maintance on my tank my light slipped in to the tank and shorted out 4 of my leds so now I am going to modify it, maybe add some red, green or violet. It will be interesting to see a similar tank build. Here are a couple pics of my tank I havent used any optics on my tank. I put 80 degree optics on for about five minutes and like the look but was worried I would fry my corals.

Kevin

post-71714-1329717843_thumb.jpg

post-71714-1329717909_thumb.jpg

idontwan2know

Hey folks,

I did get the tank(had to grab it before the sale ended!) and the rest of the equipment should be in Friday or Monday. I've already gutted the hood in preparation for the LEDs and I took pics along the way of the stock setup. I'll post everything when I get my tank thread up and running.

Thanks for the heads up about that YouTube account. I found it a few days ago and subscribed. You can even see some questions in response to his latest vid.

Sorry to hear about your lights falling in the tank! I'm planning to cut a piece of thin acrylic that will sit on the inner tank rim to act as a splash guard. How did you attach your heatsink to the hood? I'm thinking I'll find some corner braces and epoxy them in somehow and then bolt the heatsink to those. What kind of temps are you getting in the hood with your setup? Are you running any fans?

My plan is to run the 60 degree optics on some of the LEDs in the center of the array to get strong light down to the sand bed, but leave them off the outer ones to prevent any spotlighting.

Hey folks,

I did get the tank(had to grab it before the sale ended!) and the rest of the equipment should be in Friday or Monday. I've already gutted the hood in preparation for the LEDs and I took pics along the way of the stock setup. I'll post everything when I get my tank thread up and running.

Thanks for the heads up about that YouTube account. I found it a few days ago and subscribed. You can even see some questions in response to his latest vid.

Sorry to hear about your lights falling in the tank! I'm planning to cut a piece of thin acrylic that will sit on the inner tank rim to act as a splash guard. How did you attach your heatsink to the hood? I'm thinking I'll find some corner braces and epoxy them in somehow and then bolt the heatsink to those. What kind of temps are you getting in the hood with your setup? Are you running any fans?

My plan is to run the 60 degree optics on some of the LEDs in the center of the array to get strong light down to the sand bed, but leave them off the outer ones to prevent any spotlighting.

I put my leds on individual heat sinks and epoxy them the hood. I have plexi keeping evaporation away from my leds. The heat is minimal and is controlled with a little 5v 40 mm fan. I have 80 degree lenses for my led but have yet to run them the light penitrates great with outthem. So far all of my corals are happy and seem to be doing well. I cant wait to see your build come together.

Kevin

Archived