Cultivated Reef

shallow happy land

mygolfisslow

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mygolfisslow
Your pics are so clear. What camera/lens do you use? The radion should help your SPS color up.

I shoot with a canon 60d. For macros I use a sigma 100mm. Wide stuff with a sigma 10-20 and a crappy canon 17-85 for run of the mill stuff. For tank shots I shoot large jpeg with coustom white Ballance.

I hope the radion will bring the color back. Once I get my program figured out.

Nice tank!!

As far as I can tell there isn't much out there on exactly what people have their radions set at.

I have mine on natural mode at 100% from 1000am to 1100pm. I started at 50% but figured that my stock RSM t5's were brighter than that so after a few days I went straight to 100% with no ill effects.

BTW, mine is about 8-9" from the water.

You already have very bright LED's so why start the radion so low??? I recall some folks wer sorry they did that and possibly did some damage to their SPS due to the light being too low.

Good luck with the radion and keep us posted on what you do!

mygolfisslow
What happened to your maroon clown? Nice snowflakes btw

the maroons started as a pair and the larger one kicked the crap out of the other one. and he was starting to even attack my hand when it was in the tank. its a shame that maroons are so mean because they are i think the nicest looking clown.

and thanks, i do like my new snows.

mygolfisslow

i messed around with it a little more tonight and this is what i came up with. it peeks at 50% at 14k over the next few weeks i will be moving it up.

630am rb100, b10 @2% moon

800am rb100, g10, r10 @5%

930am rb100, b75, w10, g10, r20 @30%

1200pm 12k @40%

230pm 14k @50%

500pm 18k @50%

700pm 20k @40%

800pm rb100, b75, r25 @25%

900pm rb100, g5, r5, @10%

10pm rb100 @3% moon

mygolfisslow

i have been endlessly messing around with this light. i do have to say i love it, i have only had the thing over my tank for 3 days and my corals seem to be regaining there color .......

you dont believe me..... the first 2 pics are from march 19th and this is what things looked like up untill changing lamps

da30a819.jpg

c218e47f.jpg

the next 2 pics are from today

4f7f7221.jpg

59cb1e3b.jpg

i am so blown away with this light

i have even noticed some or the green returning to my ora brown planet.

and some pics for fun

012b7c91.jpg

c72c5f44.jpg

9895b824.jpg

Whoa. Will the software work on an iMac? Does it have to be near a computer?

I asked this in my thread: what do you think of 2 Kessil's over this tank?

mygolfisslow
Whoa. Will the software work on an iMac? Does it have to be near a computer?

I asked this in my thread: what do you think of 2 Kessil's over this tank?

the mac software is not out yet but they claim it is in the works. i also have a mac and run the software on parallels. it does not need to be hooked up at all times. you can play around with the curve then you just plug it in and hit program. it is pretty simple.

i dont know much about the kessils, but there what 250-275 each for the added $ i cant stress how much the radion is worth the extra money. the red, green, and blue leds really do make the diferance.

i am so happy i got talked into it. and its only going to get better as they continue to update the software.

mygolfisslow

placed and order with cultivated reef today, my 1st online coral purchase. i have read good things about them. hope it goes well, im super excited about the things that i got. they should be here next tuesday i will post pics when they get here.

mygolfisslow
Was this brown or bad color before the radion?

Not brown but not nearly as bright. I'll see if I can find some before pics

mygolfisslow

Added another 5% to my light curve today. My cal has been a bit high as of late so I am going to skip a dose or two and try and get it back to a. Reasonable level.

Is it odd that the fastest growing corals in my tank right now are my blue tort and my setosa. I thought that both where slow growers.

The fastest growers for me are any sps, GSP and PPD palys. I might get a new zoa polyp every month if I'm lucky. Is it possible the water is too clean? That would be cool. All sps put on noticeable growth daily. And monti caps grow like weeds.

mygolfisslow

having cal issues, my cal has been testing all over the place. for the past week i have been chasing high cal...... today it tested at 460 yet i skipped a dose yesterday and yesterday i tested at 430. after testing 460 with the hanna i tested post dose with a salifert kit and tested 400 then tested again with the hanna at 398.. i have done some looking into reliability of the hanna and it seems it is not to accurate. i will test from now on with the salifert.

mygolfisslow

Much to update.

Frags came in from cultivated reef. They all look good a little smaller than I thought they would be but nice none the less.

Wireless card installed in the mp10.

Was waiting for three weeks for my bubble blaster pump. Finally canceled the order. Ended up ordering it from another vendor it should be here tommorow.

Built a new sump with a sweet bubble trap for the drain. The reason fro the redesign is I have come to find out that my 3 fat topoff res is just not going to cut it for the warmer months. So I built a new 3 chamber and have a HDepot 5 gal for the topoff.

Was having issues with cal, was testing with the Hanna cal checker and testing high so I skipped a dose and it tested higher. So I have started using the salifert kit again and I have just about where it should be after being low for a few days.

My nitrates have been going up again I blame this on the fact that I have been lazy and feeding pellets for the last few feedings. I will go back to rinsed pe mysis and see if things go back down.

Will be doing a large WC tomorrow or Friday when I swap

Out the sump all depends on wether or not my BB comes in.

I will take a bunch of pic and post I'm the next day or so.

mygolfisslow
Are you skimming with the current pump?

Yeah but I think this skimmer could do better. And I hear the bubble vaster pumps are the ####.

mygolfisslow
With that pump is the skimmer better, or close to same?

such a big difference, within the first hour with the water level half way down the body, i was getting thick froth. i have to find the sweet spot for it, but i think it a way better pump then the otp pump.

bumped up my light curve yesterday to

8:00 rb6 @1%moon,

9:00 rb65, g4, r8, @5%

11:15 rb100, b20, g6, r6, @90%

12:30 14k @55%

2:00 12k @65%

3:30 12k @65%

5:30 14k @65%

7:00 20k @55%

8:00 rb100, b40,r25 @50%

9:00 rb100, r5 @10%

10:00 rb6 @1% moon

on to some pics from the swap.

BB frothin up a bucket of fresh water and about a cup of vinegar.

fcd1ab2e.jpg

bubble trap for my return, cuts down micro bubbles getting into my sump to almost none.

4e5047cf.jpg

new sump with skimmer +bb

ef3437ac.jpg

breaking down the old sump

6e712580.jpg

8d6d8f43.jpg

2949b978.jpg

up and runnin

e5aa934b.jpg

d7b513bf.jpg

ffd103d5.jpg

cc216c13.jpg

665cd22a.jpg

Looks great. Do you have the skimmer return submerged? I read and heard that wasn't a good idea but not sure why. I ended up puting a filter sock over it for the noise.

mygolfisslow
Looks great. Do you have the skimmer return submerged? I read and heard that wasn't a good idea but not sure why. I ended up puting a filter sock over it for the noise.

at the moment yes it is submerged. but i am going to build another stand for it and bring the water level to about 5.5-6 in, as from what i have read that is what coralvue suggests for the 110 with this bump. so in the end the outlet will be just above the water level, then i will figure out something to do about the noise.

Archived