Top Shelf Aquatics

Easy DIY ATO

justjoshinya

So in planning an ATO i just decided to hang either a 500ml or 1000ml IV bag with RO/DI water and use micro drip tubing (60 drops = 1ml) and hang it from my bookshelf and set it at an appropriate rate, so my only question is what is a typical evaporative loss on a standard 10 gallon tank with no top and LED lighting?? i know there are too many variables to get it just right, but if anyone has a good guess ill start with that, i was thinking 500ml in a 24 hour period was a good starting point.

-Josh

Just measure how much you normally top off each day and do the math from there. Evaporation will change daily (from room temp, humidity, etc), but that should give you a place to start from.

ohh ive never set up a reef tank before, just setting up a 10 gallon now, was just wondering what a typical top off may be but i guess i can wait until i need to top off then measure the amount and go from there.

Measure for a day then figure it out.

Also, I would suggest against this, because so many things will change on a day to day basis, like maybe ambient temperature, humidity, and other factors.

Also, I would suggest against this, because so many things will change on a day to day basis, like maybe ambient temperature, humidity, and other factors.
It's basically close enough for additional stability (preventing daily swings in salinity). Although you probably couldn't go more than a couple of weeks without making adjustments (like topping off additional water weekly, or lowering the drip rate).
If you're going to hang from a bookshelf, you may as well do the gravity fed ATO method.

The overgrown hamster bottle method using a 2or3 liter bottle with a spout and plug ... yep.

Check that out as well. If your going to be around your tank daily, then just top off yourself....just sayin.

If your going to be around your tank daily, then just top off yourself....just sayin.
This is basically true, since daily swings aren't usually that hard on your livestock. Drips are often best used for dosing additives.

im around daily just gone for like 14hours outa the day so alot can happen in 14 hrs. Thanks seabass for the 2% that sounds about right 750ml, and ill drip it over a period of 12 hours, i get the IV bags and everything for free so no need to spend money on a hamster water bottle, and yea i plan on constantly adjusting and checking the SG and levels daily until i find the right rhythm. just had a big issue with SG swings in my 5 gallon tank from daily evap i know it would be less in a 10 gallon but still i do eventually want corals so SG swings could be detramental to their well being.

ill start with 750ml @ 12hours and adjust up or down from there. thanks for the replies you guys!! should have the tank up and running by tonight, gotta pick up some sand and another 5 gallons of RODI water and then ill be setting it up tonight, lights should be in by monday im hoping.

Just top off by hand. Then hanging IV bag is going to be more work than its worth. Even if you lost 1 L per day out of a 10 gallon tank that's only about a 0.001 change in SG, not really a big deal. On top of it all you would have to continuously refill the IV bag with top of water.

thats not that bad a swing in SG i guess ill just top off daily with RO once there is a need. thank you guys i thought it would change more than that.

I made a cool gravity fed ATO and used for years. FWIW, stick with daily top offs. I only used mine when i went on spring break and what not

+1

ATOs use a float valve. They are not 100% reliable, but far safer than what you're proposing.

Archived