inTank Media Baskets

Red Slime Algae Already?

nyknicks4412

So I just got this live rock to start my 10 gallon nano. Been cycling for 3 days now and parameters look decent with just .25 ppm of ammonia. Everything else is perfect. I am just really worried about the rock I received. Here are some pictures. Does this look like red slime algae? I really want to start with a clean tank free of pests and algae and am kind of regretting purchasing live rock. I am wondering if I should have gone with base rock and seeded with a small piece of live rock.

Rock was pulled from the sump of a very established tank from a reputable local with multiple frag tanks and display tanks. Rock had numerous star fish on them upon first inspection and seemed to be covered in Coraline upon purchase. Now after closer inspection I am wondering if my lack of experience got the best of me and the rock isn't as good as I thought.

redslime3.jpg

redslime2.jpg

redslime1.jpg

Not sure it is red slime algae. Does it move when you rub your finger on it? I have rocks and frag plugs with that on them. It is a form of coralline in my tank.

Not sure it is red slime algae. Does it move when you rub your finger on it? I have rocks and frag plugs with that on them. It is a form of coralline in my tank.

+1 I have coraline that is the exact same shade as cyano, except it doesn't come right off like cyano.

+1 I have coraline that is the exact same shade as cyano, except it doesn't come right off like cyano.

+1 to both of these. I have had both cyano and coraline that color. The cyano comes off easily while the coraline does not.

I can't see the picture because my work filters them, but if it looks like a semi-translucent red wine colour that doesn't dcome off readily then I would say coraline algae. I have the same stuff on some of my rock.

Thanks for the responses everyone! If I run my fingers over it...it feels slightly slimy but thats probably because its underwater. The algae is really attached to the rock and after scraping at it with my finger I could not get it off so maybe its coraline?

I really want to start with a clean tank free of pests and algae and am kind of regretting purchasing live rock. I am wondering if I should have gone with base rock and seeded with a small piece of live rock.

Just to let you know, you could start with 100% base rock and still end up with algae problems. Most people in the hobby have a bout with cyano bacteria or nuisance algae at least once in their tank's life.

that algae is a type of coraline. i have the same stuff all over my tank too :)

I thought the same thing. If you can not rub it off with your finger it is coralline.

Just to let you know, you could start with 100% base rock and still end up with algae problems. Most people in the hobby have a bout with cyano bacteria or nuisance algae at least once in their tank's life.

+1 with this statement... I am battling Cyano right now. My light upgrade from T5HO to MH is what started mine. More light plus leftover food particles and low flow areas equal perfect breeding ground for Cyano.. My solution is Chemiclean. Started the process yesterday and this morning I noticed what seems to be 50% removal.

Archived