Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Skunk Shrimp having babies

exosket

My skunk shrimp is in the process of having her babies. And the cardinal is right there, eating them as they hatch into the water. Unable to stand the murder happening in my living room, sucked up maybe 15 and put them into a tuperware in my fuge. Has anyone ever had any luck raising these? Dunno what to do with them. If i release them into the fuge, they will wind up back in the display.

My skunk shrimp is in the process of having her babies. And the cardinal is right there, eating them as they hatch into the water. Unable to stand the murder happening in my living room, sucked up maybe 15 and put them into a tuperware in my fuge. Has anyone ever had any luck raising these? Dunno what to do with them. If i release them into the fuge, they will wind up back in the display.

Thats not murder, its fish food. IMO It'd be more difficult than it is worth to try and raise them, and wouldnt it make you feel better for your fish to eat them, rather than watch them slowly die?

altolamprologus

They have a 5 month larval stage and there's only been 2 (to my knowledge) people in the world who have successfully raised them to meta. Get used to the slaughter, it's gonna happen every 2 weeks for the next couple years :lol: On the bright side, they are a natural and very nutritious fish and coral food

I have a single peppermint shrimp who spawns every twelve days like clockwork. I have dozens of baby shrimp in various stages of development in my aquarium. I attribute the survival of so many to the fact my rock is so porous. I'd say the largest one I have seen is about three to four millimeters long. I actually have a few I siphoned out of my HOB filter and put them in a small tank with some BBS to see if they would do any better.

Sorry for the quality of video and that its vertical, I should remember to turn the phone next time. Lighting is a Maratac flashlight and the camera is my iPhone. For scale, those are baby brine shrimp floating around that that heater is a standard Tetra HT10 preset type.

My wrasse, YWG, and Firefin goby make quick work of the BBS I raise and occasionally feed them, I can imagine the only way any of the shrimp fry get to the safety of the rock is because all my fish sleep under rocks at night.

Archived