Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Patbacks 10 gallon

patback

It took me forever to finally set my tank up, and even longer to make a thread, but here it is.

LIGHTING

A DIY led upgrade is in store come spring time, but for now, I am using a nova extreme 2x24 watt t5ho. it was only like 65 bucks but I much better than I thought. They are ran from 7 am until 6 pm.

For moonlights, I am using 2 blue true lumen led sets from current USA. These are ran whenever, usually from 5 un till 12, but since they are not on a timer, sometimes they are ran all night, or even 24 hours. I usually like to give y corals SOME complete darkness though.

FILTRATION

As for filtration, my tank is au natural. I have 17 pounds of live rock from gulfliverock.com and about 1/2 a pound suspended by suction cups on the back wall. I run a cheap hob filter maybe once a week for an hour or two whenever I see a film on the surface, or there is a lot of floating particles in the water column. The only thing that goes into it is filter floss.

I have enough sand just to be aesthecally pleasing.

WATER. I buy mixed rodi from my lfs, and when I move out, I will be buying my own filter. The only thing I have ever dosed was peroxide, which did wonders for my cyano problem. I use API test kits for everything.

I run my salinity on the high side, due to not wanting to dose calcium. 1.026-1.027. This is tested by the premium aquatics refractometer with ATC.

Top offs are done with distilled water

Circulation. Circulation is provided by two koralia 240's. Mp10's are too rich for my blood ;P

Inhabitants

Fish

false perc dead

1 inch yellow watchman goby

Inverts

Peppermint shrimp

Emerald crab[s/]. Traded to Jamieshefield, didn't make the trip

Random snails

A few limpets

Fuzzy chiton

Pistol shrimp

Corals.

2 carribean rose cup hitch hikers

2 hidden cup corals ( id'd on this site, one damaged badly from shipping and cycle)

1 lesser star coral hitch hiker

2 unknown polyps( only come out at night)hitch hiker

Starry eyes favite( from what I was told) hitch hiker

Birdsnest coral

Candy cane

Torch

Frogspawn ( dead, branch is now used to support other rocks)

Christmas Favia

blue clove polyps[s/] melted

Xenia

Eagle eye zoas

Radioactive dragon eyes

Green bay packers

Monkey nipples

Miami hurricane zoos

Green striped mushroom

Gsp

Orange ricordea florida

Tank and shelf

2f48f792.jpg

A terrible FTs

513877fd.jpg

My sad attempt at a zoa garden

5b7017b1.jpg

My favorite, I bought this for 5 bucks and was told that it was a mushroom, but it is actually a small bud from a torch coral. It has the beginnings of a 2nd head

be435df4.jpg

This was bare skeleton when it arrived on a rock

0a2a380d.jpg

If interested, I will post more pics.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

take the xenia out (you'll thank me later) and make sure the gsp stays on the sand and under control lol how old is the tank? google tickers and you can get a time line of your tank like what i have below in your sig

It wa started some time in September. I'm trying to coax the Xenia to grow up the back wall, I actually want a good portion of it covered, and am having some blue Xenia shipped to me from builderanthony soon. As for the gsp, I want it to creep up the one rock slightly, and then only on the sand on that half of the tank. I know this will mean a lot of pruning, but I love the look of it.

Nice thread man. I like your tank on a shelf, thats frikin sweet. Like floating. Clean looking. I have the same zoas! I have got "radio active dragon eyes?" told to me for the red/purple green lashed. Still get mixed answers on the purple/greens. I call em Hulks. Haha. I have some straight green ones in the garden too. If you look at my pics, my garden was the size of yours 2 months ago. So be ready haha. Nice setup man.

Nice thread man. I like your tank on a shelf, thats frikin sweet. Like floating. Clean looking. I have the same zoas! I have got "radio active dragon eyes?" told to me for the red/purple green lashed. Still get mixed answers on the purple/greens. I call em Hulks. Haha. I have some straight green ones in the garden too. If you look at my pics, my garden was the size of yours 2 months ago. So be ready haha. Nice setup man.

Thanks. I think the zoas are pretty common, but I like them. I would like to get some red ones and some with a color different than green on the skirts.

It wa started some time in September. I'm trying to coax the Xenia to grow up the back wall, I actually want a good portion of it covered, and am having some blue Xenia shipped to me from builderanthony soon. As for the gsp, I want it to creep up the one rock slightly, and then only on the sand on that half of the tank. I know this will mean a lot of pruning, but I love the look of it.

The Blue Xenias are pretty cool... I have one with three stalks in my tank now and it's already starting to grow new "hands" after about two weeks... I think you'll be happy with their color too, nice rich blue...

The Blue Xenias are pretty cool... I have one with three stalks in my tank now and it's already starting to grow new "hands" after about two weeks... I think you'll be happy with their color too, nice rich blue...

I'm hoping it arrives alive. Xenia is notorious for being poor shippers. I also want to pick up a frag of pink Xenia from a near me.

I hoping it arrives alive. Xenia is notorious for being poor shippers. I also want to pick up a frag at of pink Xenia from a lfs.

Yeah, I got my blue xenia with three stalks for 25$ at a LFS. I thought it was a pretty good deal... my hunt for a torch still continues though... B) The hot pink xenias are cool, too and I've though of throwing some in next to my zoas for a little more color..

Maybe someone else could chime in, but I don't think Xenia specifically really doesn't get along with zoas. Xenia is one of the corals that everyone has different prices at different times.

Some people flush it down the toilet, other people sell it for 30 bucks for a tiny, anenome stung frag( stupidest lfs ever) and some places will give a nice amount for 10 bucks.

Maybe someone else could chime in, but I don't think Xenia specifically really doesn't get along with zoas. Xenia is one of the corals that everyone has different prices at different times.

Some people flush it down the toilet, other people sell it for 30 bucks for a tiny, anenome stung frag( stupidest lfs ever) and some places will give a nice amount for 10 bucks.

Good to know... I really like xenias overall, but I'm still a noob so we'll see how I feel about that later on down the road.. I would love to find some pink at $10...

My favorite, I bought this for 5 bucks and was told that it was a mushroom, but it is actually a small bud from a torch coral. It has the beginnings of a 2nd head

be435df4.jpg

This was bare skeleton when it arrived on a rock

0a2a380d.jpg

If interested, I will post more pics.

Nice, I ordered from Gulfliverock a few months ago and got the same limpet hitchhikers. I also had a coral hh that was pretty much just a skeleton, it's starting to recover now and I'm hoping that it turns out as good as the one in your last pic - I think mine's a brain but it's still a little too early to tell

"I run my salinity on the high side, due to not wanting to dose calcium. 1.026-1.027"

What salt is being used?

I buy pre mixed from my LFS. When they switched to ESV everything improved in my tank. It runs high cal. and mag. Cal stays at 500. Mag at 1500. In my 10g I do not need to dose these, only alk.

I like your system and husbandry practices. 10g and smaller can be run very efficiently with the Keep It Simple idea.

What direction will you take this tank? Do you want more soft corals to go with the xenia or will you mix it up a bit?

Edit: Tank on shelf looks great! Clean and simple presentation.

"I run my salinity on the high side, due to not wanting to dose calcium. 1.026-1.027"

What salt is being used?

I buy pre mixed from my LFS. When they switched to ESV everything improved in my tank. It runs high cal. and mag. Cal stays at 500. Mag at 1500. In my 10g I do not need to dose these, only alk.

I like your system and husbandry practices. 10g and smaller can be run very efficiently with the Keep It Simple idea.

What direction will you take this tank? Do you want more soft corals to go with the xenia or will you mix it up a bit?

Edit: Tank on shelf looks great! Clean and simple presentation.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm not sure what brand salt they mix with, but they did tests for me before I would buy their water. It was similar to reef crystals.

I originally wanted all softies in this tank, but somehow ended up with mostly Lps. Haha. I think I will keep mostly Lps and some softies, but no sps. My overall look that I'm going for, is just a jam packed reef. Idealy, I think it would be cool if you could barely see any rock work or back glass.

Nice, I ordered from Gulfliverock a few months ago and got the same limpet hitchhikers. I also had a coral hh that was pretty much just a skeleton, it's starting to recover now and I'm hoping that it turns out as good as the one in your last pic - I think mine's a brain but it's still a little too early to tell

They are nice corals and can only be had as a hitch hiker on live rock. Something that I have noticed, keeping it in medium to low light will produce a red rim with green center, and having it high will produce colors similar to mine. I'll upload a pic of y medium lighted one to compare for you.

32184cb3.jpg

This is an iPhone pic with HDR on, so it's jot really coming out true. It picked up a lot of the thin, green stripes on the rim. It is more red in real life.

32184cb3.jpg

This is an iPhone pic with HDR on, so it's jot really coming out true. It picked up a lot of the thin, green stripes on the rim. It is more red in real life.

That pistols looks crazy ... what kind is it?

Honestly, I went through my normal questions at the store and forgot to ask him. If anyone here knows, let me know :)

That's why I don't like pistols. :lol: I don't know if you've seen pictures of my lobster, but his pastime is relocating frags, he's carried frags the entire length of my 40 before.

What iPhone are you using to take pictures? I never get good reef shots using HDR, it always looks washed out.

Archived