Tank Params:

Ph: 8.2

SG: 1.026

NO3: 0ppm

PO4: 0ppm

Dkh: 11

Ca: 380ppm (raising it this week)

Temp: 78F

It's under 1 of 2 Stark 60w Cree LED fixtures, 7.5" below the water's surface and the lights are 12" above the surface. It gets medium/low flow.

I feed the tank 5ml of Phyto, Zoo, and Reef Snow weekly. I also dose Iodine and Strontium.

What can I do differently to get this looking really good again? Should I move it to the sandbed?

Thanks for any help.

Should have not limited my search to the coral sub, I see there's another thread exactly like this in the general sub. Sorry!

Maybe it is splitting or growing new mouths, Joel... it could be moody for those reasons.

Would be my guess.. when my old branching hammer would split, it would shrivel and look like crap for a few weeks before then slowly open back up until it was bigger than before.

surgicalsense
That could be, but we're going on 6-7 weeks of it looking like this. I wouldn't think it would take this long if it was happy.

Joel ... that is a huge frogspawn :huh:

Yes over weeks of acclimation very slowly. I never had luck acclimating my corals to LED and I was one of the first to have leds. Leds crashed my tank. I had a led fixture that was not dimmable. They fried a large chalice which started chemical warfare in my tank and it crashed. Lower the frogspawn then PM me that I was right. :)

Ow and MH for life FTW

Considering his froggie has been there since November and it has looked like shet for 6-7 weeks that basically is the entire time he has owned it. I repeat myself lower the froggie or turn down the leds. Then once it looks better give it a week or 2 and raise it a inch from the sandbed. Then give it a few weeks raise another inch. Repeat

I've had massive success with the T5-LED switch but this one just isn't with the program.

Lawnman, thanks for the advice and I've lowered it to the sandbed:

SdmCE.jpg

Never mind the cloudiness, I used moving coral as an opportunity to cut down my caulpera forest and do some general house keeping.

It's already opening up bigger, I think that is the ticket.

Now a secondary question, what to I put where it used to be?

h3ArC.jpg

What does well under high light and low flow that will give me some good movement?

It's starting to look pretty unhealthy to me. If you look in the first photo you can see the flesh extended much further down the "trunk" like it should. Now that flesh has receeded to the point that it's almost exposing the ribs in the new growth part of the skeleton. You can see an outline of where it used to be in the third photo and it doesn't appear that the coral has grown significantly.

Alk sounds a little high, but I'd try moving it to a new spot with a little less light and flow.

My frogspawns hate it when my clowns host in them for long periods of time. I usually rearrange something to throw them off so they move onto hosting something else. Maybe the domino is pissing it off

I am old school T5 and MH is what I like.

I like that set up too, and probably would argue that MH/T5 is better :lol: It's just more economical to run LEDs for me right now. And I'm hoping that in 5 years (knock on wood it's not sooner) when I'm ready to replace these the gap between the two are closer.

I would normally say your alk and calcium are swinging. That is the silent killer of LPS. Which your might be. But this time I am thinking the leds. Normally when the swinging kills lps it is over weeks. If the leds were not the problem the froggie would of looked good for 3-4 weeks.

I am old school T5 and MH is what I like.

the only way to go. keep your gimicky lightning storms and disco shimmer. I'll take a 14k halide any day. hahah. LEDs have a purpose though I am just teasing of course.

It's starting to look pretty unhealthy to me. If you look in the first photo you can see the flesh extended much further down the "trunk" like it should. Now that flesh has receeded to the point that it's almost exposing the ribs in the new growth part of the skeleton. You can see an outline of where it used to be in the third photo and it doesn't appear that the coral has grown significantly.

Alk sounds a little high, but I'd try moving it to a new spot with a little less light and flow.

I've been keeping tabs on the height of the flesh, it's still where it was, it's just not extending. I'm already seeing immediate results from lowering it. :)

And my alk is high, but in range. It's very stable though, I don't think I want to mess with a buffer.

the only way to go. keep your gimicky lightning storms and disco shimmer. I'll take a 14k halide any day. hahah. LEDs have a purpose though I am just teasing of course.

They do have a purpose moonlights for my reef :)

No need to dose or buffer your tank. Pm me when it looks good. :)

It should look better when you get you calc up. I have a baby branching, under LEDs and it seems to be thriving now, but when first introduced it did not like my low calcium levels at all! I wish i had pics to show you :(. But if its been in there for this long it may not be lighting. Im just thinking by now shouldnt it have aclimated? Could it be from the damsel? I had a velvet damsel beat my frogspawn and a condy to death. Literally. Just tryin to help. I hope it gets better!

They do have a purpose moonlights for my reef :)

No need to dose or buffer your tank. Pm me when it looks good. :)

Lol exact use I had in mind :D

Archived