Pod Your Reef

Under water putty to attach coral frags

nye15

Over the past weekend I picked up my first coral frags. They are still on their plugs and I would like to attach them to rock in my tank. I read the article posted here about gluing frags. I stopped at Home Depot over the lunch hour and picked up a tube of superglue gel w/Cyanoacrylate as the active ingredient. I also picked up a tube of this putty to use. Can you please let me know if this putty is the right kind of stuff? Thank you!

I've never used that J-B Weld epoxy, but I found a few threads on google http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp...f.osb&cad=b . If it were me, I'd probably just stick with the stuff that is meant for reef use. It's usually around 8 bucks from marinedepot.

Thanks for the info. After reading several of these threads you linked to, it looks like this WaterWeld product is good to use.

I just read that this product, J-B WaterWeld replaced AquaMend (that no one can find anymore). Same product under a different name. Maybe this isn't new news.

I just read that this product, J-B WaterWeld replaced AquaMend (that no one can find anymore). Same product under a different name. Maybe this isn't new news.

I have used the J-B WaterWeld and Aquastix putties. They work pretty well, but I tried to use them for sticking rocks together and that doesn't work well for that. Is there a trick to that or something else I should use?

I have used the J-B WaterWeld and Aquastix putties. They work pretty well, but I tried to use them for sticking rocks together and that doesn't work well for that. Is there a trick to that or something else I should use?

Don't know about sticking rocks together. I'm going to be using this in conjunction with superglue gel to attach frags onto my rock. This process may also work for larger rocks. Someone else maybe able to chime in on that.

The biggest thing when looking at a random epoxy meant for underwater are the words "for potable use". That means it's ok to use on YOUR drinking water. In general, if it's ok for you and your baby, it'll be ok for your fish.

The biggest thing when looking at a random epoxy meant for underwater are the words "for potable use". That means it's ok to use on YOUR drinking water. In general, if it's ok for you and your baby, it'll be ok for your fish.

Yea this WaterWeld says that it's for potable use.

J-B waterweld is safe to use. I have used it for 2 years now.

I just recently did my dry Marco Rock aquascape using only this expoxy and Krazy Glue Gel. Together they work well but you have to hold the structure up if it can't stand on its own until it hardens some. I was able to build three large structures and pick them up without damage within a couple hours.

Put a small dot of super glue gel on each side of the glob of putty. The gel glue sticks very strongly to the putty and the rock. It works as a very good "primer" and makes a surprisingly strong bond. Just stick the rock together and don't move it until the putty has hardened.

Archived