Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Need Help, My BioCube 29 is Cooking

gregudolph

All,

Need a little help. I set my Biocube 29 up a month ago and have been slowly making all the mods to it. It is now this:

BioCube 29:

Standard Lighting and fans

StevieT Media Basket with new Water Director

Tunze 9002 with inTank Cup

Maxi Jet 1200 upgrade

Hydor Koralia 750 and 425 set up on JBJ Wavemaker

Hydor Theo 100 Watt Heater

Last night I finally got it up and running. My cycle is just about over so I did a 50% water change. When I went to bed it was sitting pretty at 78 degrees. This morning when I woke it is at 83.9 and rising. The Heater is unplugged but wasn't on anyway.

Now I need to figure out what I should do to bring the temp down. What is everyone else doing to keep their BioCube cool? I can't really afford a chiller right now. I could probably rig up some kind of computer fan blowing cold air in the back section of the tank but I'm not sure that will help.

Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks guys.

Greg

#1. Use a dremel to open the vent holes in your light fixture. The stock light is hot and the vents are designed for looks not function.

#2. Go for lower wattage pumps.

#3. Switch out the PCs for LEDs.

For me, the tank ran ~82 with both tops open. When I made the changes changes above, I had to add a heater to keep my temps above 78.

I like the fan idea Ezsharkman. I think I could easily mount one of those on the back so that it blows cool air into the rear chamber.

I also was thinking about running the stock fans all the time instead of just when the lights are on. I could get a 12v power supply so that they stay on.

I was kind of thinking about punching some holes in the clear plastic around the lights so that it sucks air in above the water but I am concerned about moisture getting into all the electronics. Any thoughts? May go with the fan idea as a start and go from there. I would love to do the LED conversion but not really able to afford it at the moment.

Here is what I did to mine. Simple yet effective. You want the fan in the back to suck the air out. Not blow into the tank.

top.jpg

fantop.jpg

I like the fan idea Ezsharkman. I think I could easily mount one of those on the back so that it blows cool air into the rear chamber.

I also was thinking about running the stock fans all the time instead of just when the lights are on. I could get a 12v power supply so that they stay on.

I was kind of thinking about punching some holes in the clear plastic around the lights so that it sucks air in above the water but I am concerned about moisture getting into all the electronics. Any thoughts? May go with the fan idea as a start and go from there. I would love to do the LED conversion but not really able to afford it at the moment.

You do not want to punch holes in the clear shield or render the seal ineffective. Condensation will ruin the inside of the light.

Why blow, suck, drill holes and make all that fan noise just so you can replace compacts every 6 months? LED's eliminate all the hassle and the heat worries while paying for themselves over time.

I would love to do the LED conversion but not really able to afford it at the moment.

Why blow, suck, drill holes and make all that fan noise just so you can replace compacts every 6 months? LED's eliminate all the hassle and the heat worries while paying for themselves over time.

Because! See OP comment above. :rolleyes::wacko:

Archived