Cultivated Reef

Biocube Media Basket

Jhigga15

Hello Everyone,

This has probably been discussed a thousand times. I have a Biocube HQI and I want to swap the stock filters with a Media Basket. Here is the hard part… I want to keep my refugium w/ Cheto and put in a Skimmer. I think the Tunze is the best, so I would like that one, is there a way to have all 3, or will I have to skip the refugium?

Please advise,

Thanks,

John

So pack the Media Basket with: Filter Floss, Purigen, Chemi Pure and then Cheto? Also will the Tunze Skimmer cup fit ok in the BioCube HQI or will I need the upgrade Cup? I am no longer using the HQI light, I have switched to a hanging LED light.

Thanks,

John

So pack the Media Basket with: Filter Floss, Purigen, Chemi Pure and then Cheto? Also will the Tunze Skimmer cup fit ok in the BioCube HQI or will I need the upgrade Cup? I am no longer using the HQI light, I have switched to a hanging LED light.

Thanks,

John

Don't literally "pack" it you still need to allow flow.

If you want all three of those you will need to do filter floss and purigen on the top shelf, small bag of chemi pure in the middle and chaeto on the bottom.

or put the purigen and or chemi pure somewhere else in the tank.

If you do not have the HQI light you will have to make sure the bracket for it has been removed for the standard cup and tunze to fit. Basically make it look like a normal BC29

Stevie T,

Could you make a Media Basket that would fit in the 1st chamber? Maybe water flows through BC slits, forcing water down, and back up through the upside down Media Basket(Floss, Pur, Carbon) water flows over the wall into the skimmer and then you can put the Ref box with Cheto. Would something like that work?

If you want all three of those you will need to do filter floss and purigen on the top shelf, small bag of chemi pure in the middle and chaeto on the bottom.

or put the purigen and or chemi pure somewhere else in the tank.

Why the chaeto on the bottom? I have one of the newer style BC14's and the 2nd chamber is the one where the black paint is removed, so I was going to put the chaeto there. I would like to do chemi pure and purigen with the chaeto mostly because I have two purigens to use up. Why does the order matter so much? Plus I have heard chaeto in the third chamber a lot of time gets out of the media basket.

The bottom shelf of the BC14 and BC29 media basket is the largest. Best to have chaeto there as the more the better. You could put it on another shelf but it may not be effective as there isn't as much room, meaning less chaeto. Better to just do chemical media then.

I was refering to the shelf location of chaeto in a basket, not the actual chamber

The bottom shelf of the BC14 and BC29 media basket is the largest. Best to have chaeto there as the more the better. You could put it on another shelf but it may not be effective as there isn't as much room, meaning less chaeto. Better to just do chemical media then.

I was refering to the shelf location of chaeto in a basket, not the actual chamber

Ahh, ok that totally makes sense. When I said second chamber I mean second shelf. That is my fault. There is a square of black paint removed that came that way stock on my BioCube, but it lights up the middle or second shelf. So I figured I would put the chaeto there so that it would get the most light. If I put it on the bottom shelf I don't think I would get as much light down there because only the top probably quarter of that shelf has a lot of light. Would I have to remove the paint to expose the bottom shelf more or should it be ok? Otherwise there isn't a problem with it on shelf two and then the chemi pure on shelf three? The other reason I thought you meant to have it in shelf three would be because that shelf is pretty much submerged in water.

Paint would have to be removed with a razor blade if you have an external light.

Or use an underwater light and no paint needs to come off.

Paint would have to be removed with a razor blade if you have an external light.

Yeah, I figured in that case I would. Most of the third shelf is covered with paint. I don't know why they didn't take the paint off the entire middle chamber or at least extended it down further from where it is. Right now only the second shelf is exposed.

I razorbladed the paint off the rest of chamber 2 so now shelves 2 and 3 in the media basket will be exposed. I will put the chaeto on shelf three now.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived