ReefCleaners.org

Heatsinks

cjames

I am retrofiting my 12 gallon JBJ Nano DX with LEDs and I am looking to find a heatsink that will be about 12 inches wide and 6 inches long with UNDER an inch for a height. Absolute maximums can be 1'1.6"W x 6.9"L x .7"H. This seems impossible to find without spending 180$ before shipping. I will forge my own with a toothpick and BIC lighter for that price. I have 6 cool white Luxury Rebels 4 royal blue and two blue. I chose the rebels because I had some freeday cash to spend from sparkfun. That saved me a hundred dollars right off the top. I still haven't decided on a driver, but I have the majority of the DIY controller done. I am looking for a PWM driver to use my arduino. Back to the point does anyone know of a cheap place for heatsinks?

The following aren't going to work:

Heatsinkusa

ledgroupbuy

countless other I discovered over the last 3 three hours.

Thanks in advance.

I came across this while looking for something for myself.

Try this DIY

Which also made me start to think of other things such as the push plate on doors. You know. the big aluminum plate on doors. You push on them often but how many times would you think heatsink until you start thinking outside the box.

Just a thought.

I came across this while looking for something for myself.

Try this DIY

Which also made me start to think of other things such as the push plate on doors. You know. the big aluminum plate on doors. You push on them often but how many times would you think heatsink until you start thinking outside the box.

Just a thought.

Again, under an inch thick

Edit: I would not trust a plain flat peice if metal with 300$ of my money. If it had some resemblance of fins I might consider it.

All that material can be found at less than an inch. It comes in a variety of sizes.

There is also the option to buy a normal heat sink and cut the fins down.

Or. maybe go to a local plastics shop and check what they have in thier scrap bin. Mabe you could raise or cut the hood. That is how I got the acrylic for my new refugium and hood I'm building.

I hear you on not trusting things. But it does not hurt to go to stores and take a look. The tracking used in the linked thread does have fins.

I also noticed one of the fish lighting stores using aluminum box tubing. That can be found under an inch.

I just want to point out that these are just options on what I have seen on many different forums and sites. So caution is needed and you in the end must decide whats right for you.

Also there is usually a fan/cooling added with those options.

All that material can be found at less than an inch. It comes in a variety of sizes.

There is also the option to buy a normal heat sink and cut the fins down.

Or. maybe go to a local plastics shop and check what they have in thier scrap bin. Mabe you could raise or cut the hood. That is how I got the acrylic for my new refugium and hood I'm building.

I hear you on not trusting things. But it does not hurt to go to stores and take a look. The tracking used in the linked thread does have fins.

I also noticed one of the fish lighting stores using aluminum box tubing. That can be found under an inch.

As much as I do appreciate the thoughts, I don't want to cut a perfectly good heatsink until it is my last option. The HD idea is OK, but I would need to put thermal grease between the two and the C/W would be very low. I'm looking for an already complete heatsink.

Edit: Spelling errors

Since you're going to use a arduino to control your LED's intensity, you could go with a simple 1" aluminum tube. Add a temp probe to your circuit to measure the tube's temp and if it exceeds some value, then you can reduce intensity to that string of LEDs. I built this into my circuit and I'm glad that I did because it allowed me to identify a failed fan quickly and made sure my LEDs were safe till I noticed.

Since you're going to use a arduino to control your LED's intensity, you could go with a simple 1" aluminum tube. Add a temporaril probe to your circuit to measure the tube's temp and if it exceeds some value, then you can reduce intensity to that string of LEDs. I built this into my circuit and I'm glad that I did because it allowed me to identify a failed fan quickly and made sure my LEDs were safe till I noticed.

Very nice idea. The rest of my temp probes are one wire interfaced so it shouldn't take much. However I still need a sink. A bar is too hard to retro. I can't weld aluminum.

You'll bump into the same problem with a heatsink... ie, how to mount it to the hood. I bent some 1" AL flatstock (also from home store) into a U shape. Here's a pic:

dsc_2749.jpg

The holes in the long side allow a screw into the stock holes in the hood of my BioCube. The holes in the short sides have screws that attach to my heatsink. You could do the same thing with 1" tubes but I suspect it will be even easier... you can rivet/expoxy multiple 1" tubes to a pair of perpendicular flatstock bars being careful to leave room for holes that allow you to mount the whole thing to your hood.

Archived