inTank Media Baskets

Aqueon Evolve 8 or Fluval Edge 12?

flyweed

Think I have my two tanks narrowed down for my office. Just can't decide which has a better lighting setup on them for a nano reef.

Can anyone give me pro's and/or cons on both the Aqueon Edge 8 and the Fluval Edge 12. The Aqueon is selling for $99.99 and the Edge 12 is going for about $160.00 on Amazon right now.

Any thoughts??

Dan

Think I have my two tanks narrowed down for my office. Just can't decide which has a better lighting setup on them for a nano reef.

Can anyone give me pro's and/or cons on both the Aqueon Edge 8 and the Fluval Edge 12. The Aqueon is selling for $99.99 and the Edge 12 is going for about $160.00 on Amazon right now.

Any thoughts??

Dan

I'm not familiar with the aqueon so I can't really comment on it. But I can tell you right now (from experience) that the fluval edge is definitely not designed to be a reef tank. Not to say it can't be done as there are a number of great fluval edge reef owners on this sight - its just more of a challenge.

How bout this one:

It's made by a company called SERA....from the video it looks like it has some nice space in the rear for Chaeto, liverock rubble, etc, plus I like the adjustable spray bar feature....looks like you could easily DIY some LED's into the hood as well for better light.

I saw a price on it on Ebay for about $150.00 with free shipping.

Any thoughts on this one?

JamieSheffield

I have the Aqueon Evolve 4G, and so far really like it...for the price...I got mine for $49, shipped.

I set mine up last week in my classroom, and it is perfect...small, simple, cheap...

Jamie

Another vote for the Evolve. After seeing the Edge 12 at a LFS, my first thought was "...cool!". Followed by "...huh?" as I looked at the unchanged-from-the-6-tiny-opening-on-top which had already been singled out as a flaw in the original. Then "hmmmmmph..." at the surprisingly low power LED fixure in the hood. and finally "...aaaarrrggghhh!" as the unfilled (and thus unstable) tall 12 gallon tank fell off its stand as I touched it.

I'm betting that aquascaping and lighting for anything other than the most basic setups and corals will be a real challenge with the Fuval 12. Or going with external PAR LED fixtures on either side of the hood. A pity because I could see someone doing some really cool things with that extra height...think kelp forest or dropoff 'scapes.

+1 for the Evolve 8. Would be great in an office. Just remember it is Acrylic, so if it is in a high traffic area you may want to be careful it doesn't get scratched. The light would need to be upgraded most likely too, depending.

Another vote for the Evolve. After seeing the Edge 12 at a LFS, my first thought was "...cool!". Followed by "...huh?" as I looked at the unchanged-from-the-6-tiny-opening-on-top which had already been singled out as a flaw in the original. Then "hmmmmmph..." at the surprisingly low power LED fixure in the hood. and finally "...aaaarrrggghhh!" as the unfilled (and thus unstable) tall 12 gallon tank fell off its stand as I touched it.

+1 you do not want a fluvial edge. You would be surprised but yes this comes from a TOTM fluvial edge owner.

I can't comment on the Evolve as I've never seen one in person and don't know anyone with one. That said, a friend of mine has an Edge and I'm not a fan. It looks nice when it's perfect, but it's a pain in the ass to get it that way. Personally I wouldn't waste my time on something that difficult to maintain. Especially when there is an abundance of nano options out there currently.

Archived