Jump to content
Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pest Removal


nyknicks4412

Recommended Posts

Quick question about pests...bought about 10lbs of live rock and sand yesterday from an established tank. My tank is currently cycling. The rock had a ton of life on it when I put it in the tank. I am concerned however, that there may be pests on it. Can already clearly see some aiptasia, baby starfish and a small worm on the bottom of a rock as well. My issue is since I am new I do not know what is good and bad.

 

I am considering taking the rock out one by one and putting it in a highly concentrated solution to remove the life on it and choose what to keep and what to not. Is it too late to do this since the rock is already in the tank? I don't want to have an infestation of pests down the line because I did not treat the problem when I first got it. Would be easy to do now since my tank has nothing in it.

Link to comment

For the aiptasia, use a lighter to burn them off (focusing on the little crevices they often retract into). Starfish and worms are usually harmless. Go to the identification forum for reference photos of hitchhikers.

Link to comment

Alright I'll do that...should I just leave the rock in the tank as is or take it out and dunk it in concentrated salt water to get the critters out?

 

Should I take a tooth brush and scrub off the sponges and stuff?

Link to comment

Please don't dunk it. By the time live rock makes it into your tank, 90% of the life that was on it has already died in transport. The remaining 10% is what makes it live rock and attempting to essentially disinfect it is counter productive, IMO. Also, things like aptasia, will remain attached to the rock anyway.

 

While a lighter can work, I recommend using scalding hot water from a syringe, or lemon juice, or kalk, or even aptasia-x. In each case, it works best if you remove the rock from the water before treatment.

 

Leave the stars, worms, and amphipods alone. You want them. :) Kill the aptasia, pluck the bubble algae, and treat for flatworms (red planaria) with Flatworm-Exit. Otherwise, you might as well buy dead rock.

Link to comment
fire is the most fun though

 

Thanks guys...going to give the hot water a shot first. As fun as fire sounds the boiling water just sounds easier.

Link to comment
Thanks guys...going to give the hot water a shot first. As fun as fire sounds the boiling water just sounds easier.

 

Not really. I use the microwave to get it boiling, but it doesn't stay that way for long. I spend a couple days prior examining the rock in the tank to see where each aptasia is, and sketch a rough map on paper. Then when I'm ready, I boil the water, pull the rock, and try and find the targets. Even then, it can be hard to find a small aptasia that has shrunk down to a nub after being pulled from the water. Sometimes I'll risk the collateral damage and blindly hit a swath marked on my map.

 

Who needs Halo? :D

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...