Innovative Marine Aquariums

Llj's 8g Oceanic Biocube

lljdma06

This tank is looking awesome L! Hopefully that scallop does ok in this tank, It would be awesome to see it thrive in one of your tanks since a lot of other people have such bad luck with them.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This tank is looking awesome L! Hopefully that scallop does ok in this tank, It would be awesome to see it thrive in one of your tanks since a lot of other people have such bad luck with them.

I'll find him tonight, if he's ok, he may get moved to the biotope. He's Caribbean anyway and it'll be a nice addition. Besides it's an older tank and I feed more heavily.

We'll see.

L

looking awsome liz, the scallop will indeed be happier in your nps tank, he looks like a stunner :)

I was going to put him in the 36g biotope, bit if you think the nps tank is better? Your the second person who's said that.

God of War and Valentine's Day Massacre palys are settling in nicely.

I'll take pictures soon. Very tired this weekend, no motivation or energy. :(

L

VALENTINES DAY MASSACRE!!!!!!! omgomgomg:happydance: I have wanted those for so long. can never find them. pics or it didnt happen :P

Sorry I took so long to put up pictures. Another hobbyist in Miami had them. I traded an unused skimmer for them. These are high end. They are doing even better now & will be ready to mount soon. See, it did happen. :D

8b52a76e.jpg

d69f93ef.jpg

Gorgeous stuff. I've got some new ideas for this Biocube. I'll be carrying them out this weekend.

My cat got a UTI, so I've been super stressed, but he's going to recover, so I can give my tanks some love.

L

That God of War POPS! I'm so extremely jealous right now!!!

Number of high end zoas and palythoas

Buddythelion - 50000000000 gazillion million

Lissette - 2 that I know of...

I also have...

Wobblegong wows - started with 5 now have 11

Mowhawks

Nuclear greens

Green infusions

Red hornets

Cats eyes

That's it. So compared to you, I'm still rather sad. Feel better. LOLOLOL

I gotta do some rearranging, I've got a new direction for this tank that I want to explore. It's not bad, but I'm observing what's doing well and what's not as happy and it's time to shift things about. As much as I'd like to have sps, the old 8g is where sps are THRIVING. Good ol' Metal Halide. I'll keep the ponape birdsnest here though, but move the other sps to the old 8g. I'll move some more zoas to the new 8g. Zoas like this tank, expecially palys. Acans adore the biocube as well. I will be trying some nice ricordeas in the biocube for pops of color.

buddythelion
Number of high end zoas and palythoas

Buddythelion - 50000000000 gazillion million

Lissette - 2 that I know of...

I also have...

Wobblegong wows - started with 5 now have 11

Mowhawks

Nuclear greens

Green infusions

Red hornets

Cats eyes

That's it. So compared to you, I'm still rather sad. Feel better. LOLOLOL

I gotta do some rearranging, I've got a new direction for this tank that I want to explore. It's not bad, but I'm observing what's doing well and what's not as happy and it's time to shift things about. As much as I'd like to have sps, the old 8g is where sps are THRIVING. Good ol' Metal Halide. I'll keep the ponape birdsnest here though, but move the other sps to the old 8g. I'll move some more zoas to the new 8g. Zoas like this tank, expecially palys. Acans adore the biocube as well. I will be trying some nice ricordeas in the biocube for pops of color.

Bahaha, but that God of War is worth more than any of mine.

Looking forward to your new direction!

Bahaha, but that God of War is worth more than any of mine.

Looking forward to your new direction!

Really??

PS: tried to moved the sps. I did too good a job with gluing. omgomgomg

I'll try to figure it out tonight.

L

Most of the zoas were from other hobbyists & trades for macro algae. For fish I go to Reefsmart in West Kendall. I get some nice show corals there too. I go to this new place called Urban reef. Awesome stuff. Growing macro has been very helpful for getting frags.

L

Ok, substrate corals have been temporarily moved to my old 8g in preparation for the new fish. Also did a water change & shifted some zoas about.

L

Valentines Day Massacre didn't look so great yesterday, so I gave it a RO dip, it's much better today. God of War is always stunning.

So I got my fishy, but first, I also got a few more corals...

Ora green birdsnest

46c2ac01.jpg

Bird of paradise birdsnest; next to my ponape

084ab563.jpg

haha, so I have a bunch of different birdsnest.

This is on hold for me...

40b3bd74.jpg

Very small, but that's not a bad thing, I got the perfect little corner for him where he can be pretty but not do any mischief. He'll come home in a few weeks. Another stunner has to get situated first. Here's the reason why my substrate corals were temporarily relocated.

bb3508d0.jpg

He'll need time to make his burrow. Once he does that, the substrate corals will be fine to put back.

Thanks for looking.

L

Ooh an elegance! Nice!

And that's a beautifully coloured fish you have there.

Thanks, Peter. The elegance is so beautiful. Very lovely color and a nice price at $30.

The fish is truly being a little Mexican jumping bean! Thank goodness for the biocube hood and the fish saver, otherwise, I'd have a very crispy fish.

He's not quite digging his burrow yet. But I think he will in time. He's settled down a little bit from yesterday. I still don't move quickly when I'm near the tank.

def225ad.jpg

And lousy iphone video.

th_7fbe729c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

L

Ok, jawfish is much more comfortable with me now. He takes pellets and mysis and pretty much anything. I don't regret getting him. Good instinct on my part.

He allowed me to work with my corals yesterday.

I was able to get my elegance, pink stylo, and a bunch of funky palys and zoas. The elegance isn't open yet, but the stylo opened super fast!

eaeb520a.jpg

I'm still struggling getting good pictures of my zoanthids. :( Pesky LEDs. I'll figure it out when I have some time.

L

• 2 weeks later...

What the Biocube looks like now...

For a while I've been posting bits here and there, but nothing really full out on this Biocube, it's time I showed. I've been kind of quiet about the corals I have in this tank. On purpose.

Full tank shot, with Mantequilla the blue spot jawfish. I love Southpark.

IMG_5101.jpg

Aussie Acan Lord

IMG_5086.jpg

Wobbgong wow zoas, blue zoas, and true Montipora undata

IMG_5083.jpg

Red and blue zoanthids

IMG_5080.jpg

Palys... That's your green infusion, Newman!

IMG_5032.jpg

Top down shot...

IMG_5068.jpg

Firefish and Mantequilla

IMG_5061.jpg

Firefish

IMG_5054.jpg

Full tank shot with purple firefish

IMG_5049.jpg

Mantequilla among the gsp...

IMG_5041.jpg

Top view, right...

IMG_5072.jpg

Top view, left...

IMG_5073.jpg

Two videos...

Firefish and Blue spot jawfish.

Full tank video, very bad, I apologize.

Full livestock list...

Fish

-Purple firefish (Nemateleotris decora)

-Blue spot jawfish (Opistognathus rosenblatti)

Inverts

-blue-legged hermits

-Nassarius vibex

-dwarf ceriths

-hairy chiton

-yellow cucumber (still have this)

-cowrie (dunno if I have this still)

-limpet

Corals

Zoanthids & Palythoas & soft corals

-Wobblegong wows

-Red and blue zoanthids

-Eagle eyes

-Cats eyes

-Pink flamingos

-Mowhawks

-Nuclear greens

-Green infusions

-frostbites

-God of War

-Red hornets

-others that haven't been identified

-green star polyps

LPS

-Duncan

-Aussi acan lord

-Acan

-Christmas Favia

-Aussie elegance

-Meteor shower cyphastrea

-Red cyphastrea

-Blue stunner chalice

SPS

-Purple stylo

-Pink stylo

-acropora (mystery frag, lolol)

-pink ORA birdnest

-green ORA birdsnest

-magenta ORA birdsnest

-ORA Ponape Birdsnest

-ORA Bird of Paradise Birdsnest

Most of these corals were purchased from other hobbyists or traded for macroalgae. The larger colonies are from my favorite LFS. Duncan went from 4 heads and now has 11. The wobblegongs went from 5 to 12 polyps, Red hornets went from 5 to almost 8. Things are growing rather fast in this tank which is awesome. I'm excited and encouraged.

Thanks for looking. I'll post more pictures later, but at least you can see some of the stuff.

L

I love this tank L. It definitely doesn't look like an 8 to me. I want to try to either find an 8 gallon bio cube or I'm going to get the 8 gallon nuvo for my sons room. I will be doom the same thing that you did with getting some sweet zoas to fill it up with.

I love this tank L. It definitely doesn't look like an 8 to me. I want to try to either find an 8 gallon bio cube or I'm going to get the 8 gallon nuvo for my sons room. I will be doom the same thing that you did with getting some sweet zoas to fill it up with.

Thank you. :) Means a lot to me that you love it.

What is the 8g nuvo? I know they've discontinued the 8g Biocube.

L

It's innovative marines aio 8 gallon. You should check em out. Really nice looking tanks.

Wow, that is a nice tank. Expensive, though.

I'm excited to see how this tank develops over time. I still could use a showcase invertebrate.

L

It's been a while since I've updated.

The jawfish was involved in an accident and died. My birdnest fell on him, at least I think it did. I found the birdsnest knocked down near the gsp where the jawfish hangs out and him dead with cuts on his side. With the gramma carpet surfing and this accident, I'm a little weirded out with some of the fish and my next fish purchase was from a different store. I did get frags though. Another hobbyist was breaking down his tank, the guy I got the wobblegongs and the God of Wars from so... I got the following... Buddy help me please.

4 God of Wars

A cluster of hornets, dunno what type

A small colony of frostbites

Purple people eaters

Green people eaters

So here they are in their cups, yes these are urine specimen cups, and yes hobbyists use them. These were not used! :lol:SWEAR!!

3c6e1723.jpg

17cbe78e.jpg

The God of wars, Purple people eaters and frostbites

8fff701c.jpg

The hornets and the green people eaters.

57483bcf.jpg

The frostbites are already open. Pictured are another type of zoa and a paly, red, so purty. Must get them id'd. I got those at the big frag sale at the LFS.

0c7dc500.jpg

Hornets all open, guys the camera does not do this justice. The color is SICK, SICK, SICK! A perfect complement to my wobblegong wows.

c37a27e9.jpg

L

Archived