ReefCleaners.org

Hammer - will it recover?

amiralisomji

i recently bought a frag of this hammer coral which wasn't doing too well at the LFS but got it anyways cause the color is just amazing. as you can see, the tissue is missing in two areas (center and left). my question is: will the tissue/tentacles ever come back in these areas, or is the damage permanent?

IMG_0069.jpg

Looks like a wall hammer not a branching one. I only have a little experience with those, but I believe they can regrow over the dead skeleton. However, that coral is VERY bleached. If it does recover, it will end up looking a lot different than it does now.

Regarding the color, I did specifically ask before buying; the LFS told me they sometimes get these translucent hammers from Indonesia/Vietnam which apparently is how they are and remain for life. I was either lied to, or maybe this is just a different type maybe?

There are very few species of euphyllia's that are translucent/colorless. As someone before stated it looks like a wall hammer. Euphyllia's can regenerate soft tissue, make sure you feed all the heads.

As was just mentioned, it's the translucency that worries me. There are some pale or almost white shades of some euphyllia (usually torch and what is sometimes called octopus), but you still can't see straight through the tentacles.

The good thing is that the coral is open and there are no signs of disease or decay. Just get it in a nice position in the tank -- not too much light or flow -- and leave it. See if it will eat any food; mysis shrimp are good, but I just feed my LPS pellet fish food.

@tako - which is exactly why I bought this guy. The color is unlike anything I have ever seen. I had a 2-minute chat with the guy at the LFS and he explained to me that every once in a few months they get these odd-ball translucent euphies that are apparently medium-rare. i guess i'll try target feeding from now on and see what happens. as for placement, I have him wedged between 2 pieces of LR towards the bottom of the tank (RSM250). you think thats okay?

My guess is he was bull####ting you into buying a dying coral before it died on him and he would take the inventory loss

Also like tako said your shouldn't be able to see through them - perfect example is the white frogspawn in my sig - is cream coloed on the inside and far from see through good luck with its recovery

Once the flesh starts to peel away from the skeleton like that, it's pretty much game over. And it's super bleached. Low light, low flow, feed it and good luck.

Archived