Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Freshwater Cycling

Euphyllia

Is cycling a freshwater tank needed? Long story short, it's sort of a pond kinda deal. It won't have a substrate or anything. I'll probably have some anacharis or something in there though, if bacteria would live on that. I don't want to muck it up or anything. It has no filter, so no moving water, just replacement of water evaporation. This is very low budget. Would getting a little bit of mud from a local stream do the trick? More plants = faster cycle? What's the deal?

Never "professionally" kept a freshwater tank. Just as a little joy tank when I was like three. :P

altolamprologus

Don't get mud from a stream. That crap is packed with parasites and bacteria. Just add your plants first to establish bacteria (like live rock with no die off) and add fish slowly.

Don't get mud from a stream. That crap is packed with parasites and bacteria. Just add your plants first to establish bacteria (like live rock with no die off) and add fish slowly.

Thanks!! :D

I don't have any plants right now... I might not be able to get any plants until next weekend because I'm going to some stupid superbowl gathering to be polite even though I hate sports. Football is kinda stupid anyways because all they do is change sides. But back to plants, um... Yeah I'll get some next week. Do you recommend one type of plant over another? What grows the fastest and will be the hardiest in regular outside conditions?

Freshwater chemistry changes so much, my oscars and red devil were fine in tap water for the 3 years I had them.

Yeah, I don't really care about freshwater water chemistry. Too much effort lol. All of my fish from petco died after a few months, so I'm not sure if it was the tap water or not.

Thanks!! :D

I don't have any plants right now... I might not be able to get any plants until next weekend because I'm going to some stupid superbowl gathering to be polite even though I hate sports. Football is kinda stupid anyways because all they do is change sides. But back to plants, um... Yeah I'll get some next week. Do you recommend one type of plant over another? What grows the fastest and will be the hardiest in regular outside conditions?

Yeah, I don't really care about freshwater water chemistry. Too much effort lol. All of my fish from petco died after a few months, so I'm not sure if it was the tap water or not.

Gonna be awful stagnant isnt it? Then again, i guess it is just a giant gold fish bowl... I would worry about aeration/oxygenation, unless you have a ton of plants

I may get flamed for this, but whenever i went freshwater fishing, I would just take Lilly pads, these cool purple flower things, basically any water plant there was. Local shop was selling Lilly pads for 25 bucks for 2 of them, I got 25 of them for free :). FYI, they won't survive without a deep substrate.

And I KNOW I will get flamed for this, but football IMO is one of the most stupid sports I have ever had the displeasure to watch.

And I KNOW I will get flamed for this, but football IMO is one of the most stupid sports I have ever had the displeasure to watch.

+1. Glad I'm working tomorrow night.

Gonna be awful stagnant isnt it? Then again, i guess it is just a giant gold fish bowl... I would worry about aeration/oxygenation, unless you have a ton of plants

It's a bunch of 15g tubs. I'm going to get some anacharis for each one. I mean, it's not like I'm going to put an arowana in there and expect it to live. More like a neon tetra or something lol. :P

Hey, they won't be awful stagnant if they have fish in them. There will be minute movement of the water. -_-

I may get flamed for this, but whenever i went freshwater fishing, I would just take Lilly pads, these cool purple flower things, basically any water plant there was. Local shop was selling Lilly pads for 25 bucks for 2 of them, I got 25 of them for free :). FYI, they won't survive without a deep substrate.

Ah, don't worry. We all take endangered species that are protected by law, despite the possible $10,000 fine. :P

I really want some lily pads so I can stick some bullfrogs in there lol.

altolamprologus

Reagans nursery in Fremont has a bunch of outdoor pond plants. Pond lillies, water lettuce, and duckweed are all good ones. Anacharis can also withstand cold temps down into the 50s, but would most likely die off over the winter.

Reagans nursery in Fremont has a bunch of outdoor pond plants. Pond lillies, water lettuce, and duckweed are all good ones. Anacharis can also withstand cold temps down into the 50s, but would most likely die off over the winter.

Actually, my relative put some anacharis from their fish tank into my other relative's farm in the 60s, and it took over. It flowers during the 100+ summers and it still grows in the sub zero temperatures... Not to contradict what you're saying though, it may actually be something close to anacharis but not exactly it. My relative said that's what it is, but it may be something similar. Like elodia. :)

altolamprologus
Actually, my relative put some anacharis from their fish tank into my other relative's farm in the 60s, and it took over. It flowers during the 100+ summers and it still grows in the sub zero temperatures... Not to contradict what you're saying though, it may actually be something close to anacharis but not exactly it. My relative said that's what it is, but it may be something similar. Like elodia. :)

I'm sure that was anacharis. I've heard it can live through very cold temps, I've just never witnessed it. BTW anacharis=elodia

The easiest way to cycle freshwater is to take some dirty filter media from a filter on an already established freshwater aquarium, and place it into the filter on the new tank, and then add fish soon (a few days) after.

A tank which is disease free is preferable. I do this 5+ times a year, as I setup and maintain aquariums professionally.

Archived