Coral Vue Hydros

Fire shrimp walking on clams and corals

A2thad

Hey guys i have two blood red fire shrimp that keep walking on my corals and my clam. My clam closes up when the shrimp walks on it and sometimes the shrimp will just perch on my clam. U guys think this is a problem should i get rid of my shrimps?

I think that the reason of why it is walking over your corals and clam is because it is simply hungry and is looking for food. Either rid of it or spot feed it. It is up to you. I have one in my 75 and it does not bother the corals (I have some LPS) and any time I feed the corals I tossed a pieces of food for the fire shrimp and the coral banded shrimp and they both leave the corals alone. Fire shrimp to me are just territorials and, for what I've read, they are more aggresive with other shrimps depending of the scenario. Frank.

shrimp are a pita. they are good scavengers but will piss off every coral you have. i spot feed my skunk cleaners and this helps the frenzy they go into but does not stop them completely.

shrimp are a pita. they are good scavengers but will piss off every coral you have. i spot feed my skunk cleaners and this helps the frenzy they go into but does not stop them completely.

Lol you said it PITA...these shrimp are really pissing me off why would u just perch on a clam or a brain coral?? I mean i love these shrimp but i think the first thing im gonna do is put these 2 buttmunchers in my fowler aquarium.

My skunk cleaner does that as well as my two two-spot Blennies. It's all good in the hood, it won't bother them.

So your clam is fine? How long have they been doing it?

Yup. Added the Blennies a month or so ago and they did it immediately. I've had the clam for 6 months now and the shrimp has done it the whole time.

Archived