SaltCritters.com

Lion's Coral Den! Kessil, Rics, Zoas, Palys!

buddythelion

What's your maintenance? I change water and my encrusting monti isn't doing too well. :(

Upwards of 60% water change weekly & sometimes a mid-week water change that's much smaller. Especially if I've been feeding heavy (I can't say no to my children). Granted, I've only had my sps for a few weeks, so it may all go to pot, but I see polyp extension & a bit of growth already. I use Red Sea coral pro, my sg is 1.025.

I've got an nps tank, so I'm just used to the bigger water changes. I want an encrusting Monty. I've got a montipora undata. I like it. Need to stick in its right place but I'm really being careful about where I see it do well, so I'm trying a few locations first. The bad part about that is that my frags are often victims of clumsy inverts.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Upwards of 60% water change weekly & sometimes a mid-week water change that's much smaller. Especially if I've been feeding heavy (I can't say no to my children). Granted, I've only had my sps for a few weeks, so it may all go to pot, but I see polyp extension & a bit of growth already. I use Red Sea coral pro, my sg is 1.025.

I've got an nps tank, so I'm just used to the bigger water changes. I want an encrusting Monty. I've got a montipora undata. I like it. Need to stick in its right place but I'm really being careful about where I see it do well, so I'm trying a few locations first. The bad part about that is that my frags are often victims of clumsy inverts.

Ah... so maybe more water changes is what I need. I go for 1.025 as well, but i use a hydrometer, not a refractometer. So the results might not be the most accurate. Ah yes... the falling frags. We've both shared our stories. :)

And behold! More coral updates!

Drove over an hour last week to check out a LFS local people kept talking about. They had lots of goodies, but wasn't ready to shell out the cash for them. Jason fox, blue agaves, and utter chaos'... yum. I did get a red hornet and a mystery panama microzoa for decent prices though. Panama is blue with green sparkles in the center. Really happy with the microzoa, since I wasn't expecting it to look this nice!

20120217_224430.jpg

Hornet up front, the mini colony with some closed polyps are the micro zoas. It's really hard to get a photo showing the details...

Also got a Darth Maul Micromussa today from the LFS. Originally came in to sell some coral.. but the dude flaked on me. *sigh* His number didn't even work...

Then bought some fish for my river tank set up and talked to my friend who works there looking around for some hidden goodies in the store. First time seeing it, had to have it. I'm fairly satisfied with this purchase. :)

20120225_145040.jpg

Yes, I use a refractometer. I like it. Mine wasn't too expensive. What are you currently doing for water changes?

Those zoas are lovely. I'm getting a new appreciation for them & have started acquiring higher end ones.

L

Yes, I use a refractometer. I like it. Mine wasn't too expensive. What are you currently doing for water changes?

Those zoas are lovely. I'm getting a new appreciation for them & have started acquiring higher end ones.

L

I'm doing 40-50% water changes using SeaChem's: Reef Salt. My water is not 0 ppm, but 17. Would that pass?

And thanks for the compliment! They're currently my addiction... Which ones did you get?

so did you just get the 12 pack from cm? i have been wanting it, saving up the money and all.

I haven't gotten the 12 pack yet. But yes, they're from CM's wysiwyg section. They always throw in freebies, so if my freebies look sweet, the 12 pack is bound to be even sweeter! Let me know when you decide to go for it. I'm very curious as to what they'll end up looking like.

So I'm 100% sure that the yasha goby sexing method works. Finally after a long time did I see them swimming out and about together. I seriously thought the male was a goner because I didn't see him for about 2 weeks. Makes up for the death of one of the Doni clowns. :(

Pics!

20120227_203850.jpg

20120227_203846.jpg

20120227_203815.jpg

I'm doing 40-50% water changes using SeaChem's: Reef Salt. My water is not 0 ppm, but 17. Would that pass?

And thanks for the compliment! They're currently my addiction... Which ones did you get?

Right now, I got some Wobblegong wows, Mohawks, & Horizons, but I'm working on getting some red & blue hornets. That should finish me off & like the color combo & I'm

Pretty satisfied.

The 17ppm should be ok. Out of my tap, my water has a TDS level of around 240ppm, so no way I could do a reef with tap.

Right now, I got some Wobblegong wows, Mohawks, & Horizons, but I'm working on getting some red & blue hornets. That should finish me off & like the color combo & I'm

Pretty satisfied.

The 17ppm should be ok. Out of my tap, my water has a TDS level of around 240ppm, so no way I could do a reef with tap.

But but but but... look at all of the different types... how can you simply stop at 5?!

http://www.procorals.com/collections/zoas-palys

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/zoa-discus...w-off-some.html

<3

That Darth Maul Micromussa looks sweet! Lookin good Buddy! ... btw its me dfcn07. Decided to do a name and email change.

Wassup man! Haven't heard from you in like... all day? LOL. Thanks man, it was definitely different from all the other micromussa's I'm used to seeing so decided to go for it. Only lps other than the blasto. Hopefully it does well. I can't tell if it's unhappy since it doesn't close up like zoas do or shrink like a shroom.

Knew it was you from Kravitz, but why the name and email change?

Wassup man! Haven't heard from you in like... all day? LOL. Thanks man, it was definitely different from all the other micromussa's I'm used to seeing so decided to go for it. Only lps other than the blasto. Hopefully it does well. I can't tell if it's unhappy since it doesn't close up like zoas do or shrink like a shroom.

Knew it was you from Kravitz, but why the name and email change?

I just wanted to have a normal sounding thread like "Mikrowave's 15g Oven" lol!

buddythelion
I just wanted to have a normal sounding thread like "Mikrowave's 15g Oven" lol!

Yeah cuz, that's totally normal. LOL. What happened with your clowns?!

Yeah cuz, that's totally normal. LOL. What happened with your clowns?!

lol!!! Mikerowave Oven is pretty creative isn't it! Hahaha!

My clowns have been sold. I miss them already. They were so healthy. My black ice clown that had ich fully healed. He's getting aggressive with the food now. He made a full recovery so I'm happy. Thinking if I should get him a pair. Right now he's only about 3/4" to 1". Maybe I'll buy a picasso like you suggested. Haha! How are your clowns and what do you have right now?

... also your pics from Photobucket aren't showing. :huh:

... Also... I love your Avatar too! Ahaha! That's Kravitz's brother!

buddythelion
Are red & blue hornets ok?? Can I add those??? Will buddy approve??

LOL! Yes, I approve... On one condition. ... You MUST show us pics! :P

LOL! Yes, I approve... On one condition. ... You MUST show us pics! :P

Ok, ok! They are on the FL turnpike as I type! omgomgomg

I sooooooooooo excited. I got a bunch of other things too. Woooooooooooooooooooooo

And Monday, I maybe get stuff from .Newman. a resident picotope god.

L

buddythelion
lol!!! Mikerowave Oven is pretty creative isn't it! Hahaha!

My clowns have been sold. I miss them already. They were so healthy. My black ice clown that had ich fully healed. He's getting aggressive with the food now. He made a full recovery so I'm happy. Thinking if I should get him a pair. Right now he's only about 3/4" to 1". Maybe I'll buy a picasso like you suggested. Haha! How are your clowns and what do you have right now?

... also your pics from Photobucket aren't showing. :huh:

... Also... I love your Avatar too! Ahaha! That's Kravitz's brother!

Yeah... I posted a high res picture of the doni clown i was trying to sell and it got a lot of views. So much that my bandwidth was over the limit, so photobucket is putting me down until the 7th =\ Booo...

And it's cool, I'm sure the clowns are with someone good! Glad to hear about your clown pulling through! Om nom nom. Chomp chomp on some food finally! Yeah, get a pair early. Or else you'll end up like my clownfish experience... :(

Si, tis his brother! Puppy has grown so much since the 1" I got him as... I think I'm seeing baby streamers!

buddythelion
Ok, ok! They are on the FL turnpike as I type! omgomgomg

I sooooooooooo excited. I got a bunch of other things too. Woooooooooooooooooooooo

And Monday, I maybe get stuff from .Newman. a resident picotope god.

L

Post pictures. Because... I am right now of... *drumroll* MORE zoas! :D

Here's some of the new purchases:

Mellow Yellows (thinking of changing the name, because I'm not a big fan of it...)

Pacific East Aquaculture's picture:

GTj10.jpg

Mine!:

6xDOr.jpg

641pb.jpg

They're micro zoas, and have this bright BRIGHT yellow center but the base is blue! And the yellow on the center is the skirt color as well. Happy with these, since I've never seen them before :)

But can't beat these... They're labeled as Sunset Splashes, but they look like Bloodshot imitations to me. SIIIICK. Current faves!

Wl6uY.jpg

It's so beautiful. <3

And then these...

54f2r.jpg

Look awesome right? And there's 9 polyps. Cool!

But instead... I got these:

NYe5m.jpg

Asart.jpg

Definitely NOT what I ordered for. No metallic blue sheen, no green skirt, no 9 polyps. Dull, grey, faded (same color as my sand!) and tiny gold center. Can't be my lights, because if anything the kessils would make them POP. Also, only 7 polyps MAX. Hoping that Pacific East Aquaculture fixes this... It cost me $42+ for this frag and I won't let this slide on them...

Also got in a 4 polyp frag from another site today, but it's not opening up so no pics. =\

I'm really disappointed with the blue zoa... they looked so beautiful and PEA has such a great reputation...

The first two were awesome, but what's up with the third? Yeah, definitely weird.

I love the second one. Very cool. So do you just have like a million frags?

L

buddythelion
Those yellow ones are hot!

I know right?!

The first two were awesome, but what's up with the third? Yeah, definitely weird.

I love the second one. Very cool. So do you just have like a million frags?

L

And yeah... pretty much. I really should stop buying them. But I keep finding new ones at good prices... I can't help myself! I should invest more on equipment... like getting a fuge light or refractometer. :lol:

buddythelion

Browsing around online and found a good photo of my panama micro zoa! So you reefers can see what I see in my zoa :)

ZoL8E.jpg

Archived