SaltCritters.com

Lara's 40B

Aqualara

Any reply on my previous post would be awesome.

In the meantime, here are some pics:

Dendros looking pretty good:

DSC00562.jpg

Maxi mini garden (three new maxis) :)

DSC00563.jpg

Some things I had before:

DSC00558.jpg

Bonsai is starting to encrust

DSC00559.jpg

Acan looks good:

DSC00557.jpg

New pink birdsnest, pocillopora, and purple/pink acan (I think it might be a micromussa?)

DSC00599.jpg

And a FTS! Just waiting on my LFS to get in new LR so I can take that bright white eyesore out of here...

DSC00598.jpg

Also...is there any way I can make my photos stop looking so blue?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ Jacob042426: Yay! I'm glad someone else likes it :D I have the rockwork to where I really like it, except for the super white piece on the left. I'm trying to be patient with my LFS 'til they get more tukani rock which is what I have in the rest of the tank. hopefully next week

@iball1804: Awww, thanks! Posts move so quickly through this forum; its hard to get any views and figure out if I'm doing an OK job. Good to see a little feedback for a newbie like me :D

I think I may need to start dosing soon. Aside from my levels being low that one time, I'm getting more SPS and between that and the clam, I know it will be necessary at some point.

Hi, tank looks good!

I have a firefish in my tank that is about 12 inches deep with the sand in it and he rarely ventures away from his spot which is middle of the tank about half way up. When he does get scared he darts down under a rock to his den where he sleeps all night. Pretty cool fish once they get used to there surroundings. I have no cover and I'm not to worried about him jumping. I wouldn't get a jawfish though.

@ Bonk: Cool, thanks for the info. I went with a cherub angelfish for now. I also purchased two green banded gobys that are in my 2G for now. They're super tiny and I'm afraid they'd get eaten by my starry blenny. When they're larger, I'll put either one or both of them in here. I LOVE them :D

@iball1804: *blushes*

Now that I realize I need to dose, I don't know exactly what to buy...

The only choices I know of so far are:

BRS

Brightwell Aquatics

Aqueon Kent Marine stuff

How do I choose?

I'm not really happy with my scape, and I don't know what to do next.

The super tall rock pointing up is cool, but it's too tall to mount SPS on top of it. If I mount corals on the sides, I feel like it will create an overhang and will block out the light to corals below. There's a little crater in the center part, and I can't put corals on there, because it's like a little bowl and you wouldn't be able to see them well from the front. A lot of the rock has a lot of crevices in it, and I wonder if I mount zoas...will they grow into the crevices and then get lost forever? Or will they grow across the top of the crevices?

I dunno.

I was thinking of rescaping today -- taking out some rocks and smashing the huge one in there.

But if i really screw things up, I might have to get new rock....

What about ammonia/nitrite spikes? Will I get one if I move everything around?

Advice?

It's been awhile since I've been on this thread so let me resurrect some old questions that didn't get answered:

I ordered Red Sea Pro test kits for Mg++, Alk, and Ca++, and I was surprised at the results.

Calcium: 440

Magnesium: 1360

Alkalinity: 7.3/2.6

So. what do I do now?

I don't see anything wrong with those numbers so just do whatever you're doing.

Also...is there any way I can make my photos stop looking so blue?

It's called your White Balance. Depending on your camera you might be able to adjust it from the camera. You can also do it with photoshop or paint.net (free, no frills photoshop). I'm not familiar with your lights but if you have independent blue/white control you could dim the blues until your camera took more true to life shots.

Now that I realize I need to dose, I don't know exactly what to buy...

The only choices I know of so far are:

BRS

Brightwell Aquatics

Aqueon Kent Marine stuff

How do I choose?

Where are your params now? I have quite a bit of SPS and two LPS in my 40 and the levels stay pretty high just with my weekly water changes. I did see how long my tank could go without a water change and I tried dosing. I used Brightwell and it worked very well. Now I just use Brightwell Kalk+2 in my ato reservoir.

And about the scape, if you're not happy with it, change it. When you do anything odds are there will be die off but I don't think moving around some rocks will cause a big enough one to worry about.

Thanks! I haven't tested in awhile, but I should do that today. And as for the white balance, I guess it's not gonna happen. I have a point and shoot that doesn't do too much and my lights are kessils. But thanks anyway!

As for the rescape....

I destroyed a lot of my LR yesterday. I was WAY too hammer happy. So I had to order some dry rock from marco rocks. I drew a picture of what I have in mind, and I wanted some feedback on it.

I already have the right side island, so I sent the photo to marco rocks and asked if they had rocks from which I could create the left island.

DSC00620.jpg

What do you think?

Get some monti caps in there!

I have a green one, but I don't like it :mellow:

However, just bought a Lemon efflorescens, and from what I understand, they're plating corals. I can't wait until it gets here :D

my Marco rock and new corals should be here tomorrow (Wednesday) :D I ordered WAY too many. I'm at work on call until then anyway, so hopefully the time will go by fast?

Possibly the following.... :unsure::D

mellow yellow palys

1 polyp highlighter soprano palys (they're bright yellow!)

1 polyp lavender fantasy palys

1 orange safecracker micro zoas frag

1 polyp pink milky way palys

1 rainbow sensations acan

Dragon Fruit Zoas

Rainbow skittles lobo

Lemon Efflorescens

1 polyp Darth Maul

1 polyp ASD rainbow acan

small blue tort frag

small ORA Red Planet frag

That's all.... :blush:

In my defense though, it was mostly early birthday money....

I hate that I can't take true to life photos with this camera. :angry:

Everything looks blue and dull, but in real life, the colors really pop.

Rescape is done! There's still some rock in there that won't be permanent. I tried to hide a lot of the LR behind other stuff. I don't want to take it out yet because I don't want an ammonia spike.

Here's what I ended up with:

Maxi mini parked itself in a weird spot:

DSC00625.jpg

Lobo (orange, yellow, and green)

DSC00634.jpg

Lemon efflorescens

DSC00639.jpg

Dendros and closed sun coral

DSC00638.jpg

ORA red planet, magicians, and a chalice

DSC00637.jpg

Mellow Yellow palys

DSC00640.jpg

Left side

DSC00632.jpg

Right side

DSC00633.jpg

FTS (Terrible photo. I seriously can't fix the color :( )

DSC00631.jpg

My "vision" for comparison:

DSC00620.jpg

The rainbow acan is TINY! It has a good amount of yellow on it. When it either gets bigger or has another head, I'll take a photo.

UPDATE!!

1. After the rescape, I suspected that my nitrate levels increased considerably because my corals didn't look happy. I might've missed any ammonia or nitrite spike, but my nitrates were somewhere between 20 and 30. I promptly did a 30% water change and installed my new skimmer :D It's a used Reef Octopus BH1000. I'll do another 30% water change this week, and hopefully that will get things back to normal. Everything is already perking up, so that's good.

2. I THINK I HAVE BABY DENDROS SCATTERED AROUND MY TANK!!! So, today I noticed 5 or 6 bright orange spots in different places on my LR. When I looked at one of them sideways, I noticed that it looks like a polyp! The only things I have in my tank that are near that color are dendros and sun coral, so it must be one of the two. I hope I'm not imagining it, but we'll know soon for sure :D They are way too small to get a pic of now, but I will keep an eye on them and will post a pic as soon as I can get a decent one.

After some research and close watching, I've determined that they're baby sun corals. I fed them cyclop-eez tonight and they ate it :D

Archived