Top Shelf Aquatics

Small Pink Tube

Richs2k6

So I noticed a small pink tube coming off my live rock that I can't ID. When I say small, I mean really small, only a couple of millimeters long and curls at the end. Lately it has gotten bigger and is now spewing a two to four inch string similar to what corals spew out when they are upset. At first it didn't seem to spew anything but now that it has gotten larger it emits a string from its end. At first I thought it was a baby feather duster but now I am not sure and I have more than one. I am worried that my clownfish will get hit with the string and get injured. I would post a pic but they are very small. It may sound weird but I would say at first it looked like a little nipple coming off the rock. Good/Bad?

nevermore1701
So I noticed a small pink tube coming off my live rock that I can't ID. When I say small, I mean really small, only a couple of millimeters long and curls at the end. Lately it has gotten bigger and is now spewing a two to four inch string similar to what corals spew out when they are upset. At first it didn't seem to spew anything but now that it has gotten larger it emits a string from its end. At first I thought it was a baby feather duster but now I am not sure and I have more than one. I am worried that my clownfish will get hit with the string and get injured. I would post a pic but they are very small. It may sound weird but I would say at first it looked like a little nipple coming off the rock. Good/Bad?

I have hundreds of them all over my LR. Mine only snot when I blow off the rocks with a turkey baster or do a water change. They don't seem to be hurting anything.

Not sure of the actual spelling but I believe its vermatid snail. Great filter feeders, but reproduce like bunnies and that thread they put out will Piss off any Corals it touches, some times to the point of death. If you look closely and follow that silk thread to the tube you will notice there are two little antenna looking appendages poking out the end. These pull that string back into the tube. While in the water column any debris or detritus or whatever you feed your tank gets stuck to it (and they are stronger than you think) and it is then pulled back into the tube to be eaten. If it where me (and it was/is I've dealt with everything in my 8 months in the hobby lol) is take a little bit of gel super glue and slap it over the end of that tube, gruesomeish death but its the only method that actually works for me. Hope this helps!

Remove the entire tube (should look like a little turban with a long spout) for the reasons above. You can use your nail or a screwdriver to wedge it out. They aren't harmful directly, but they can start fouling your pumps and other equipment.

Archived