Pod Your Reef

New hobbyist here, with pics!

04V10

Hey guys,

I know you guys gave me some flack about not posting pics on one of my other posts, so here is all the info.

20gal

HOB Marineland Penguin 150 with no biowheel (no filter in at the moment)

Koralia Nano powerhead

Hydor Powerhead

50W heater (my 100W seal was leaking and Im getting it replaced next week)

20lbs live rock

25-30lbs of live sand

Red Sea salt utilized.

Mazarra LED system. Going to get a second module soon so it isn't so spotlighted.

Oh and I added a pic of, what I think might be zoas as hichikers? Not too sure. That pic was last week when I had put everything about 2 days after. However my water parameters right now are kinda crazy, as follows:

Ammonia 8ppm+

Nitrites 5ppm+

Nitrates 20ppm

Still going through the cycle.

Oh and here's a pic of some random thing, not too sure what it is, but it popped up about 2 days ago and seems to be getting bigger. It does hide at night and gets startled back into the hole it is living in.

I do also have a bristle worm in there, but I can't seem to find him right now.

post-71687-1328306855_thumb.jpg

post-71687-1328306891_thumb.jpg

post-71687-1328306963_thumb.jpg

post-71687-1328307113_thumb.jpg

Nice looking! Cool typoe of rock, and I like the scape. Looks like you have one of the most annoying algaes ever though. I've had red wiry stuff like that and it will just not go away.

What are your stocking plans?

I'm gonna start with some easy lps to begin with as this is my first saltwater attempt. So I'd def like to do some zoas and acans. I'd like to do some sps later on, a birds nest to be exact.

As for the vegetationhat I've got, I was going to scrub the rocks when I got them, but I kind of actually like the look of it, as it looks like i pulled it right out of the water. More natural I guess you'd say. When I get my cuc, I'll be letting them do their magic for quite a while before I start doing any corals.

Sounds like your still going through the cycle, please don't put anything else in yet. Wait till Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrites are all 0, you put your clean up crew in a bit too early.

Remember to SLOWLY add fish.

On a more positive note, I love the scape, neat little tank!

Sounds like your still going through the cycle, please don't put anything else in yet. Wait till Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrites are all 0, you put your clean up crew in a bit too early.

Remember to SLOWLY add fish.

On a more positive note, I love the scape, neat little tank!

I haven't put anything in the tank yet besides the live rock and live sand. I was just saying that when I do put the cuc in, it will just be them for a while. Sorry for the confusion. I'll edit my other post.

Builder Anthony

ya that algae is not good for some corals and scrubbing it off wont do anything it roots itself in the rock.nice looking though .....i have some in my filter.its slow growing though.id stay away from large cloves it wil actually root itself into the coral.soft corals would easiest from my point of view.this stuff will grow on the sides of acans though and cause tissue loss and the only way i know how 2 get rid of it is with a dremel tool.i would stay away from stonys

I haven't put anything in the tank yet besides the live rock and live sand. I was just saying that when I do put the cuc in, it will just be them for a while. Sorry for the confusion. I'll edit my other post.

Haha, I thought you ut them in :P

Fair enough, good luck mate, looks like your off to a good start and enjoy it ;)

Builder Anthony

u might be able to keep the acans in the sandbed but any stonys on your rock will get infected then die.u mind as well just enjoy that algae and design a tank around it.maybe some snail eats it.turbo snails might but i am unsure.it is a very serious deadly algae if it grows on stonys.nice looking though.make a nice macro tank

Do you think that if I took out the couple rocks with it and boiled the rock it would die? This kinda sucks as I was hoping Id be able to just kill off the algae and enjoy a reef tank.

Just looked this stuff up and it looks like turbo snails have a preference for green algae, but will go for it. Although Mexican turbos are supposed to take care of it. I'll make sure I try to get rid of it before I get some nice corals. Looks like I chose the most interesting, but most frustrating rock out of the bunch. The other stuff was more plain rock....doh! Lol

Archived