Top Shelf Aquatics

Macro Algae

Steezy

Hey there, so i've had macro algae in my tank since day one of inheriting the system from a friend of mine, over the past few months it has gotten to the point where i pull out miles of the stuff and it has taken over. Ive read some stuff on Hydrogen Peroxide dosing and some other ways of lessening the problem or getting rid of it i was just wondering what you guys recommend for a system like mine.

20G high

Mixed corals SPS/LPS

2 False Percula

2 Bangai Cardinal

1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

And heres a video i took after i pulled a bunch of macro out and as you can see, theres still a bunch everywhere

Let me know what you think of my tank and any advice on the macro situation, thanks!

check out the peroxide thread in the disease and pest forum. Your skunk cleaner cannot survive peroxide addition to the whole tank when full...but, a spot treatment will work if you can remove the rocks because they will be treated externally (put peroxide on the target) then a full rinsing/reinstall will introduce no peroxide back into the tank water. Another option is removing the cleaner lysmata and holding him in a QT tank for a while as you dose/do water changes until the target pest is totally gone.

Peroxide will certainly kill every macro and algae we face, the key is preventing collateral loss

Before you do anything radical like h2o2 dosing/whatever, I would remove as much as possible by hand and toss a couple of emerald crabs in there

I dunno if turbos eat macros but they are pretty voracious eaters too

Biological>>>Chemical nearly every time

Before you do anything radical like h2o2 dosing/whatever, I would remove as much as possible by hand and toss a couple of emerald crabs in there

I dunno if turbos eat macros but they are pretty voracious eaters too

Biological>>>Chemical nearly every time

Cortez hermits have ate caulerpa in the past for me as well.

pretty crazy

here's why I wouldnt do it

List of reef inhabitants we've seen that do NOT tolerate peroxide contact very well

#1 Bristleworms

die when even in the most diluted contact of peroxide

#2 Lysmata cleaner shrimp

#3 coralline algae

#4 decorative macro algae

#5 xenia

emeralds should knock it out no prob

say...ever take a clip of a sentence and arrange it so that it appears to give another meaning much

if you read the context of the thread that phrase makes sense, this is a viable option. At least I included pics of a before and after treatment, if you have any pics of your method pls post

B

the part you left out on purpose was to externally treat all surfaces to prevent loss of those organisms.

certain fish have been mentioned as helpful grazers, crabs like you mentioned etc

peroxide is much faster and more thorough so we work to establish sufficient proof of that with before and after pics. We found that lots of people offer type, few offer pics.

tbh I didnt read the thread. that just popped out--and still remains valid

h2o2 is a very powerful oxidizer--meaning potentially dangerous to your tank. even if you safely preserved all the other life in your tank only targeting the nuisance macro, the mass die off would put all those nutrients back into the tank

not to mention it takes much more effort to do the whole peroxide thing

getting emeralds and being patient is definitely the wiser thing to do in this situation. peroxide definitely has its uses, and it may eventually have to be used in this case, but it should only be used as a last resort imo

Archived