Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Best pump for JBJ ATO on BC29

smai-tai

OK, so I have read and read all kinds of forums and posts about what pump works best for the JBJ ATO system. I have a BC29 on the Oceanic stand for the BC29. My reservoir will be on the bottom inside my stand. I am wondering what pump will work best. I have heard that the aqualifter works great, and I have heard it will die on you within a few months or so. I have also heard that a MJ-*** will work, but then I read that people were having trouble with the MJ not turning off right away. I am just looking for input on people experiences and thoughts in regards to this. I have my JBJ ATO system and reservoir already set. I just need to go get a pump now, and want to get the "right" one. Thanks.

i used to use the aqualifter on my old tank. i will be using it again on my nanocube as soon as i order a new diaphragm. it worked great and i did not have to worry about it overflowing my tank. one thing you should consider is to adjust the jbj ato to run longer then the programmed 5 minutes. sometimes depending on your evaporation the aqualifter does not pump enough water to meet the float valves. this causes the ato to not turn on until you see your water is low. you may be able to fix this if u use both float valves. i was just using one.

Jason

Thrassian Atoll

I use the stock pump that came with the 29g Biocube for my JBJ ato. Resevoir is in the bottom of the stand.

It works great, never had a problem with it. Only turns on for a few seconds here and there. My water level never drops more than like .125" in the back.

i used to use the aqualifter on my old tank. i will be using it again on my nanocube as soon as i order a new diaphragm. it worked great and i did not have to worry about it overflowing my tank. one thing you should consider is to adjust the jbj ato to run longer then the programmed 5 minutes. sometimes depending on your evaporation the aqualifter does not pump enough water to meet the float valves. this causes the ato to not turn on until you see your water is low. you may be able to fix this if u use both float valves. i was just using one.

Jason

Yea I am still not sure if I will use both float valves or just one. Probably use both since I have them both already. I am leaning towards the aqualifter, but just want to make sure it will be worth it. I understand that it doesn't cost very much, but I would rather spend more money on a really good pump for the ATO versus a cheaper one that will work but might fail.

I use the stock pump that came with the 29g Biocube for my JBJ ato. Resevoir is in the bottom of the stand.

Yea, my stock pump died on me. So I don't really have that option anymore. HAHA.

Thrassian Atoll
Yea, my stock pump died on me. So I don't really have that option anymore. HAHA.

Haha Yeah, I guess that would not be an option then. My biggest thing, is that I wanted the pump in the reservoir, and the aqualifter would not let me do that. I would of had to have had it half way up the stand.

Haha Yeah, I guess that would not be an option then. My biggest thing, is that I wanted the pump in the reservoir, and the aqualifter would not let me do that. I would of had to have had it half way up the stand.

Yea I was thinking about that too. I don't mind spending the extra money on a quality pump. I just don't want to have the pump to run for a bit while the JBJ ATO is off, as I have heard this can happen with some pumps I guess.

Thrassian Atoll
Yea I was thinking about that too. I don't mind spending the extra money on a quality pump. I just don't want to have the pump to run for a bit while the JBJ ATO is off, as I have heard this can happen with some pumps I guess.

Hmmm, never had that happen to me. I also use a maxijet 900 with the jbj ato on my 34g solana and that has been working fine as well, I do not recall it ever running for longer than it should. Then again, my water level seems to fluctuate some once and a while. Might just be the way that tank is setup though or snail clogging the return slits at the top. I will have to keep an eye on it now and see if it runs longer than normal.

Hmmm, never had that happen to me. I also use a maxijet 900 with the jbj ato on my 34g solana and that has been working fine as well, I do not recall it ever running for longer than it should. Then again, my water level seems to fluctuate some once and a while. Might just be the way that tank is setup though or snail clogging the return slits at the top. I will have to keep an eye on it now and see if it runs longer than normal.

Yea, I read about it happening on a post on this forum. I think I am going to just go get a MJ900 or MJ600 and try it this weekend. That way I can watch it and make sure it all works OK.

Just make sure the tube running to the tank is not under the water and you shud be fine. On my 14 gal, the aqualifter is great. Its comes on maybe once or twice a day for about 20 secs each time..Hasn't failed me yet.

Just make sure the tube running to the tank is not under the water and you shud be fine. On my 14 gal, the aqualifter is great. Its comes on maybe once or twice a day for about 20 secs each time..Hasn't failed me yet.

Yup, and you had the tank and the pics/info to back up your claim. As some on here just blurt out stuff just because they read it somewhere. If my LFS has an aqualifter, I will most likely buy one. If they don't I will probably try the MJ600 or 900.

Yup, and you had the tank and the pics/info to back up your claim. As some on here just blurt out stuff just because they read it somewhere. If my LFS has an aqualifter, I will most likely buy one. If they don't I will probably try the MJ600 or 900.

The maxi-jet shud be fine I wud imagine. But take into account that you will have a big hose running to your chamber. I wanted to use a jet bc I have a extra one but I cudn't find a neat and clean way to secure it to the tank. Just a thought...

The maxi-jet shud be fine I wud imagine. But take into account that you will have a big hose running to your chamber. I wanted to use a jet bc I have a extra one but I cudn't find a neat and clean way to secure it to the tank. Just a thought...

That is something I was thinking about as well! HAHA! I like the aqualift because of the smaller hose. But we will see what works.

i use the aqualifter, haven't had a problem. reservoir on bottom, then aqualifter on shelf. then i feed the airline tube into where the wires come out of the hood on the left side of the tank. it drips out but i like that :)

i use the aqualifter, haven't had a problem. reservoir on bottom, then aqualifter on shelf. then i feed the airline tube into where the wires come out of the hood on the left side of the tank. it drips out but i like that :)

That's what I want! We shall see what happens.

OK so I got the aqualifter. Works great so far. I like the drip it has when the pump kicks on. Seems to work just how I want it to, plus I get to use the slim airline tubing which makes everything a bit more clean, IMO. Thanks for all the input on this.

Archived