Coral Vue Hydros

RapidLED LED Dimmers

theSHIMMY

Hello,

I'm looking to get the retrofit kit from RapidLED for my 14 Gallon Biocube. I plan on mostly having LPS/Softies in my tank. Is it necessary for me to get the dimmers in this case? Would like to save the extra cash if not needed.

And if they are needed should I got with the dual dimmers or single?

Also what happens with the moonlight? Would I need to buy a new one?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I'm looking to get the retrofit kit from RapidLED for my 14 Gallon Biocube. I plan on mostly having LPS/Softies in my tank. Is it necessary for me to get the dimmers in this case? Would like to save the extra cash if not needed.

And if they are needed should I got with the dual dimmers or single?

Also what happens with the moonlight? Would I need to buy a new one?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you need to get the dimmer kit if you are doing LED's over a 14g biocube. The 14g biocube is a pretty small tank, and that retrofit kit is fairly powerful without dimmers. Without the dimmer, you are looking at running LED's 2'' above the water level at 700-750mA at all times....way too powerful, especially since the rapidLED kit uses the new XT series LED's. With LPS and softies, you would kill all your coral without dimmers.

For LPS/Softies in a 14g Biocube (I've had one with LED's before), you would need to have the LED's at a max setting of around 500mA. LPS/Softies will easily thrive and grow great with that setting in that size of tank.

I've been using LED's for 3 years now, including RapidLED DIY, Ecoxotic, Aqua Illumination, Nano-box....and have done septrometer tests and par tests with multiple units. Just stating my experience....and I've had user error kill a lot of my coral in the past by having my LED's turned up too high.

Holy crap, that scares me. I just installed mine without dimmers and its super bright. I may look into dimmers in the future. Right now I just have a VERY shortened light period. Staff at RapidLED said the dimmers were not necessary, and since I am building a bigger tank with all the bells and whistles, I did not want to go crazy with my BC, which I will keep as my office tank. I have a few SPS, mostly LPS, and some softies. My biggest concern was the light acclimation of the corals, since my tank is already established. I'll keep my fingers crossed, and I may trade a few of my whites for blues. I have my whites and blues on seperate drivers.

In fact, Mike told me he doesn't have dimmers on his tank. I believe him. What should I look out for as far as stressed corals. So far (only 2 days) everything has been wide open. I'm not seeing much difference in the corals, aside from the colors look a bit nicer. I have to say, its VERY bright. Looks like there's sunlight in there, its crazy. I also noticed that I can see more crap floating around in the tank and the smudges and algae on the glass is more apparent. I'm running the blues for 6hrs and the whites for 3.

How long before I should start seeing negative effects of too much light if that is what ends up happening. I think one of my fish was freaked out with the shimmer. I'm still not used to it, but its growing on me. Thanks for the opinion Adam.

LED's in general very bright and strong. The key is to slowly increase your lighting schedule and the # of LED's on... Good luck!

Hey Boost, do you think the 6hrs blue and 3 hours white is a good start? I plan to add 30 min to each weekly until I'm back to 7-9 hrs total. I definitely feel like everything in the tank is opening normal, some zoos even look like they are opened just a tad more than usual, but nothing I've seen is out of the ordinary. I still may switch a white for a blue or royal blue later which would give me 4 white and 8 blue.

Right now there is a faint blue tint overall but I like it just a tad more blue. I wonder if it has anything to do with the 5 whites running on the 1050 driver. Thanks!

I would do 30 minutes every 2-3 weeks since you have no dimmers. Also, Mike may not have dimmers on his tank...but since he works with RapidLED...he has likely acclimated his coral to LED's by other means, which does not require a dimmer on his current tank (example...corals came from another tank...corals were acclimated to dimmers in another tank....etc...).

:-)

I have the same kit for my 14. If you look at the instructions on setting it up you can control how many mA goes to the LED's.

The Royal Blue shouldn't be driven over 750mA. Just drive the string lower like 300mA.

Less heat too doing that.

Yes you will need the Moonlight kit as the old one is removed.

I would do 30 minutes every 2-3 weeks since you have no dimmers. Also, Mike may not have dimmers on his tank...but since he works with RapidLED...he has likely acclimated his coral to LED's by other means, which does not require a dimmer on his current tank (example...corals came from another tank...corals were acclimated to dimmers in another tank....etc...).

:-)

Adam_T is on a roll! :) Light acclimation is key. There are certain wavelengths especially in the both end of the spectrum that our eyes don't pick up well, but your corals will.

Adam_T is on a roll! :) Light acclimation is key. There are certain wavelengths especially in the both end of the spectrum that our eyes don't pick up well, but your corals will.

So the blues are just a much of a concern as whites? I thought the whites were the ones that would potentially fry things. How will I know if the corals are getting too much light? Is I a fast process or does it take a long time? Thanks. It's been 3 days ant everything looks great, but I'm being cautious. I have to say I was convinced I was doing a PM over my big tank, now LEDs are back on the table :)

So the blues are just a much of a concern as whites? I thought the whites were the ones that would potentially fry things. How will I know if the corals are getting too much light? Is I a fast process or does it take a long time? Thanks. It's been 3 days ant everything looks great, but I'm being cautious. I have to say I was convinced I was doing a PM over my big tank, now LEDs are back on the table :)

No, blue LEDs will fry corals just as much as white ones. The saying that blue bulbs won't provide much usable light for the corals comes from the old actinic fluorescent bulbs. Depending on how badly they've been stressed it can be a short or a long process. Even if they are open you should look for signs of their colors fading or spitting up excessive amounts of brown junk (all corals spit some out occasionally, though).

no, you don't NEED dimmers. I don't have them...of course waiting to see how my coral react, so far so good (day 1). I have the 12 kit over my 12g. If you only want softies--why get such high lighting??? Why not just get the LED 7 Plug n play kit? that's more then enough for softies, no worries about dimmers and its $65 :)

In my opinion not including dimmers defeats half the point of going with LEDs; being able to dial in the color temperature that best suits you.

Take a look at the Inventronic drivers that LED Group Buy sells. They are dimmable and don't require tuning or a 10v source, so all you need is the potentiometer. Super easy and saves you a bit of cash.

no, you don't NEED dimmers. I don't have them...of course waiting to see how my coral react, so far so good (day 1). I have the 12 kit over my 12g. If you only want softies--why get such high lighting??? Why not just get the LED 7 Plug n play kit? that's more then enough for softies, no worries about dimmers and its $65 :)

Exactly...day 1! Hahaha.

I agree here...if you are just doing softies and such, get the 7 LED plug and play kit. Easy and cheap. Perfect amount of light for those types of corals in that size of tank.

Exactly...day 1! Hahaha.

I agree here...if you are just doing softies and such, get the 7 LED plug and play kit. Easy and cheap. Perfect amount of light for those types of corals in that size of tank.

Question, is the 7 LED plug and play kit even an improvemement over the current PC lighting that comes with the BC?

Question, is the 7 LED plug and play kit even an improvemement over the current PC lighting that comes with the BC?

Yes.

1. Shimmer

2. Better coloring of coral

3. No heat transfer into water

4. Less electricity.

5. No fans needed if you use the BC14 heatsink with only 7 LED's...passive cooling will be more than enough.

Win.

In my opinion not including dimmers defeats half the point of going with LEDs; being able to dial in the color temperature that best suits you.

I gotta agree with this.

Like walking into the Ferrari dealership and asking if there is a suede option on the interior, or how much without the floor mats?

Come on brah ....lol

No, blue LEDs will fry corals just as much as white ones. The saying that blue bulbs won't provide much usable light for the corals comes from the old actinic fluorescent bulbs. Depending on how badly they've been stressed it can be a short or a long process. Even if they are open you should look for signs of their colors fading or spitting up excessive amounts of brown junk (all corals spit some out occasionally, though).

You know what, my zoas were spewing brown gunk the first day but that has since gone away. Yeah, looking back I should have got the dimmers. For now, no more spewing, colors look good, although my montis and pocilipora didn't have much color to begin with.

I gotta agree with this.

Like walking into the Ferrari dealership and asking if there is a suede option on the interior, or how much without the floor mats?

Come on brah ....lol

You must be right, what was i thinking, there's no reason to get LED's without a dimmer except: It costs more especially if you want to change light temp then you need two separate systems one for blues and one for whites and creates additional wiring/complications--> which is seriously confusing to non electrical led experts and put an easily doable project into the -never-mind i'll just keep the PC's!

the reason to get dimmers: 1) for acclimation (which you can do with height/ mesh) 2) because you're very particular about the color and or you want the flexibility to change color temps whenever you want.

Clearly, very valid reasons for either decision. To state otherwise is narrow-minded IMO.

I will not belittle someone for making a choice. If you want dimmers go ahead. But they are not NECESSARY.

Not necessary, but nice to have. Other options have been laid out as well.

Bottom line = your tank & your money ... do as ya wish.

Need to calm down there Ms VA ... it's a forum, with opinions and humor.

Not necessary, but nice to have. Other options have been laid out as well.

Bottom line = your tank & your money ... do as ya wish.

Need to calm down there Ms VA ... it's a forum, with opinions and humor.

There's no need to clam down, I'm perfectly relaxed :P Wow, seriously, I'm on a forum!? I had no idea!

hahahahahaha clam down. Perfect.

You must be right, what was i thinking, there's no reason to get LED's without a dimmer except: It costs more especially if you want to change light temp then you need two separate systems one for blues and one for whites and creates additional wiring/complications--> which is seriously confusing to non electrical led experts and put an easily doable project into the -never-mind i'll just keep the PC's!

the reason to get dimmers: 1) for acclimation (which you can do with height/ mesh) 2) because you're very particular about the color and or you want the flexibility to change color temps whenever you want.

Clearly, very valid reasons for either decision. To state otherwise is narrow-minded IMO.

I will not belittle someone for making a choice. If you want dimmers go ahead. But they are not NECESSARY.

It was a grand total of $12 more for me to add 4 dimmers to my LED build and wasn't any more difficult then the rest of the build.

No one is saying they are necessary, but they are a great feature for very little additional cost.

Come on brah ....lol

It was a grand total of $12 more for me to add 4 dimmers to my LED build and wasn't any more difficult then the rest of the build. No one is saying they are necessary, but they are a great feature for very little additional cost.

these two things hit the nail on the head.its not complicated wiring at all. hell hit up a electronics parts outlet and you can get the dimmer pots on the super cheap i build my own dimmer for under $10. once you've finished the build you'll end up regretting not giving yourself the option to fine tune your lights. but hey its not my money, do what you want.

They are not "necessary", but if you are getting dimmable ballasts you have to have dimmers of some sort, or you won't get too far...

I actually have to build a dimmer tonight, because my controller is going back to get fixed and without it the lights wont work.

Archived