ReefCleaners.org

Drilling Tank

Fnard

I'm about to drill my 6 gal cube and was wondering how many holes I drill for the overflow. I am using 1/2" bulkheads with one of these covering them. I am leaning towards 2 holes, 1 higher than the other, to add some safety redundancy in case of a clog. Is this necessary?

andrewguilfoy

For a tank that small one should be perfect. I never grasped having two on smaller tanks, yeah the fail safe is on one getting clogged you'd have an extra, but I honestly feel like it all depends on how the overflow box/design is built, and what you're keeping. It is never a MUST for smaller tanks.

well 2 holes wouldn't hurt. what flow will you have into the tank. what I would do is figure out what flow I'm going to have returning to the tank and do two drain holes. one drain would be slightly lower than the other and have a ball valve, use this to control the water level in the overflow chamber. the second drain which is slightly higher is a full open channel.

For a tank that small one should be perfect. I never grasped having two on smaller tanks, yeah the fail safe is on one getting clogged you'd have an extra, but I honestly feel like it all depends on how the overflow box/design is built, and what you're keeping. It is never a MUST for smaller tanks.

That is what I kinda thinking myself, the only thing I was worried about was that the surface skimmer is not deep enough to allow for a strainer on the bulkhead.

well 2 holes wouldn't hurt. what flow will you have into the tank. what I would do is figure out what flow I'm going to have returning to the tank and do two drain holes. one drain would be slightly lower than the other and have a ball valve, use this to control the water level in the overflow chamber. the second drain which is slightly higher is a full open channel.

That is the exact way I was planning on setting up, a little more hassle, but probably will be worth it.

Thanks for the helps, unfortunately it looks like I'll be glass shopping. Was finishing up my 2nd hole when the bit punched through and the drill hit the glass, cracking it :slap: On the bright side, I've now figured out that the back panel on Eheim Aquastyle tanks are not tempered.

Thanks for the helps, unfortunately it looks like I'll be glass shopping. Was finishing up my 2nd hole when the bit punched through and the drill hit the glass, cracking it :slap: On the bright side, I've now figured out that the back panel on Eheim Aquastyle tanks are not tempered.

ouch...sorry to hear this. I have drilled dozens of tanks and thankfully only ever broke one, and it was a ten gallon ;) cheap fix

Archived