Coral Vue Hydros

Any help for RTN?

twiggz01

I just bought this frag yesterday. and it was acclimated over an hour with the lights off. I float acclimated for 25 min then dripped acclimated it for 45 minutes until only tank water was in the container. The temp didn't swing because it was all done in the sump. I got it from a store 20 min away from my house and transported it in Styrofoam. I kept the lights off for 5 hours then just put the blue LED's on.

This morning I woke up and this tissue was starting to recede. So I cut one branch off already. Any Idea what its doing?

I have an aqua illumination Nano for lighting- this morning I had the lights on 15% white, 45% blue, 45% violet. Since then I changed it to 5%white, and 5% blue. In hopes to reduce stress.

PH 8.1

Temp 78

Calc 560 ( i know its high)

ALK 10 DKH

Nitrates- 0

Phos- o

MAG- 2100 (high as well but slowing brining it down with weekly water changes)

SG- 1.0256

total water volume is 25 gal.

I do weekly 10% water changes

Any suggestions on how to halt this tissue recession?

post-71341-1328203032_thumb.jpg

I just bought this frag yesterday. and it was acclimated over an hour with the lights off. I float acclimated for 25 min then dripped acclimated it for 45 minutes until only tank water was in the container. The temp didn't swing because it was all done in the sump. I got it from a store 20 min away from my house and transported it in Styrofoam. I kept the lights off for 5 hours then just put the blue LED's on.

This morning I woke up and this tissue was starting to recede. So I cut one branch off already. Any Idea what its doing?

I have an aqua illumination Nano for lighting- this morning I had the lights on 15% white, 45% blue, 45% violet. Since then I changed it to 5%white, and 5% blue. In hopes to reduce stress.

PH 8.1

Temp 78

Calc 560 ( i know its high)

ALK 10 DKH

Nitrates- 0

Phos- o

MAG- 2100 (high as well but slowing brining it down with weekly water changes)

SG- 1.0256

total water volume is 25 gal.

I do weekly 10% water changes

Any suggestions on how to halt this tissue recession?

I'd say do a large water change and try to get those mag and calcium levels down. I'm willing to bet that's your cause. I have had RTN from rapidly changing levels before.

do you think changing the levels that fast will be good? I have had theses levels for 2 weeks doing daily tests. Everything is holding at this level im just trying to reduce the calcium and MAG slowly?

what I meant was that the acro you just bought came from a system with much lower mg and ca levels. When you put it in your system it sort of freaked out because if your levels and RTN'd. I have had acros RTN when I was dosing mg to get rid of bryopsis and also when my ca levels were ungodly high. The corals in your tank are used to these levels because presumably they have been creeping up slowly for a while now. The acro you just bought is not adapted to these high concentrations. I suggest doing a larger water change and bringing those levels down faster than you have been. Again, the drop of those levels might upset your other corals in the tank who are used to it. Its a sticky situation but I feel its safe to do more than a 10% water change. At 10% your levels will take over a month to come down...use this calculator to help you. If you a have a concentration of 2000ppm Mg and you want it to be 1600ppm, if you do water changes with water containing a 1600ppm concentration of Mg at only 10% of total water volume it will only reach 1900ppm assuming you do weekly water changes for a month.

http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calcula...aterChanges.php

I gave you a link to a calculator in my last post ;)

Did a 2.5 gal water change yesterday and Im going to do a 5 gal water change today. this will be a 60% water change.

I woke up this morning and to my surprise the coral isn't completely dead. here is a pic....do you think any of it is salvageable?

post-71341-1328277242_thumb.jpg

It's a goner.. sorry.

edit: you MIGHT be able to save the closest split branch to the camera.. if you cut just above the healthy line there and re-mount it. Any area that's got dead tips and base is pretty much a lost cause.

It's a goner.. sorry.

edit: you MIGHT be able to save the closest split branch to the camera.. if you cut just above the healthy line there and re-mount it. Any area that's got dead tips and base is pretty much a lost cause.

+1

Try and save what you can that still has tissue on it, but the chances are slim.

sorry for your loss. Sucks loosing something so quick you couldn't even enjoy it.. Its the part that blows about this hobby. I would work on getting your perimeters in line before trying another SPS.

Good luck.

Actually, I'm not sure if that is RTN. Looks more like bleaching to me. If you look in the white areas, I see some polyp extension. With RTN, you don't have that.

I'd leave it in a low light area with good flow and see what happens.

I also dont think its RTN. I had an ORA green birdsnest (similar to yours) and it looked completely like your base at first but 2 weeks later and the polyps where out.

Its your call!

Archived