Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Custom Look CadLights 50Long

twan

Thanks LouDog3.

Tokendog I await your shipment eagerly! Keep me posted.

Lights - shipping today 2/29/12.

Skimmer - allegedly shipping today 2/29/12.

Tank - allegedly shipping today 2/29/12.

Sump - shipping Friday 3/2/12.

Stand - In talks with local guy for an ADA style stand, completed stand not expected for 3-4 weeks.

Plumbing - TBD

You have pictures. :)

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking @ Water Changes Part I

So the tank size is 36x18x18 which comes out to 50.5 gallons holding water. We all know however that the tank volume is cut into my both the overflow and having the water level be somewhere 1" below the tank rim. Given that I am adjusting the tank holding size from 36x18x18 to approx 36x17x18 which gives us 47.7 gallons holding water in the display. I am not adjusting that number down further to compensate for the overflow. We get into splitting hairs there. 47.7 is the number I am rolling with.

So the sump size is 30x15x15 which comes out to 29.2 gallons holding water. We all know however that this sump will not be full but rather probably only 10 inches high of water. Also the last chamber is an ATO and should not be included in the sump holding capacity calculation. So lets take the full sump size of 30x15x15 and adjust it down to 30x10x15 to account for the (anticipated) lower water height running through the system. Then lets further adjust is down to 26.5x10x15 subtracting out the 3.5" wide portion of the ATO chamber. We can now estimate that the sump will around 17.2 gallons of water.

nFSdg.jpg

I plan on doing a 20% water change every 10-12 days.

I will need two containers that will hold approxinmatley 15 gallons each.

My plan is to have two containers with removable bases that have wheels.

1.) I add 15g of RODI to one and salt to 1.025 in my laundry room and let heat/mix overnight.

2.) I will then roll both containers over to the tank.

3.) I will place a MJ1200 pump with vinyl tubbing attached into the display and pump out 10g into the empty container.

4.) I will siphon off the last 5 gallons from the sump.

5.) I will then place the MJ1200 into the new water container and pump all 15g back into the display.

6.) I will then wheel both buckets in my laundry room, flip the MJ1200 into the waste water container and pump it back up into my slop sink to discard.

I thought about making a cart like Urbaneks did here but I would rather have wheels on the individual containers so I can save space and remove base/wheels when done and stack containers inside one another.

Now to find some 15g round, open top containers that I can find removable bases for that have wheels.

Looking @ Water Changes Part II

I thought about making a cart like Urbaneks did here but I would rather have wheels on the individual containers so I can save space and remove base/wheels when done and stack containers inside one another.

I like the Rubbermaid Brute units.

They do not make one in 15g.

They make 10/20/32.

Here is my analysis of size and pricing for all three of those sizes.

qLp4h.jpg

The 20g is the right fit for me.

If I want to save some money I can DIY a cart for two of these or DIY two indivdual bases for them with wheels. If I do not want to DIY here is the cost involved.

jcMoq.jpg

These units and the process outlined in Looking @ Water Changes Part I will

allow me to change 15g of water every 10-12 days without lifting.

Research Link

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.a...clickid=popcorn

10 Gallon Home Depot

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...amp;R=100643602

20 Gallon Home Depot

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...tryId=100642677

32 Gallon Home Depot

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-10...p;storeId=10051

RubberMaid Dolly

I agree 20g would work and I like your idea of saving space too. I mix water in the Utility Room and there is not much room. I may just do one 20g container on a dolly for the new SW and run a syphon kit to the bathroom or hose out the window to drain the old water. Considering one of these http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/aquari...-ft-aqueon.html Getting a syphon started never used to bother me until I started thinking about all the bacteria I could be sucking in...

Looking @ Model

Tonight I cut up some cardboard to mimic the 36x18x18 footprint of the tank and the overflow portion.

The whole model is 1/4" off front to back but it got the job done.

The overflow is 3.5"x5.0" which I still do not have final confirmation of.

The rock is not zip tied or mortar'd at all. It is just wedged together at the moment.

Be kind, I thought it would be easy to integrate Pukani and Tonga but I was wrong.

This was put together then 20 minutes.

Now that I look at it I would move the whole layout to the right to hide the overflow more and leave open sand space on the left side instead of the right.

Enough talk onto the pics.

J5NaG.jpg

JmNyY.jpg

pqiP9.jpg

ejzqd.jpg

PMpyA.jpg

GfvKh.jpg

rMYoB.jpg

9HR8d.jpg

3jIGY.jpg

PHp8Y.jpg

I am diggin that scape! If you really like it that way, make sure you glue it together. I did the same cardboard thing:

IMG_0199.jpg

If you are looking to go the mixing station route, I would just go all out. No need to stop short when you have a room behind the tank.

6800455010_7725aa939f_b.jpg

This is what I built and why I built it.

1. Automate the W/C process

2. Use as a Top Off Reservoir

3. Don't have to spill a drop

Not sure where you are placing your Sump. But I am going to build a stand for my sump in my room behind the tank and plumb the pipes through the wall to the tank. This way I can do my water changes from in the room. Plumb the exit pipe from the salt mixing station directly into the sump and place a waste pump in the sump as well. Mark your sump for the amount you need to take out. (do a siphon at first to get an accurate gallon amount with painters buckets) Also, I have a Auto Shut off on the RO/DI from BRS( Here ) that will keep one brute can full of RO/DI water for mixing , as well as for using with an ATO system. That way you don't need another container for your ATO Reservoir.

Next, Get a DJ outlet switch panel. Plug your pumps in to the panel(mixing station & waste). As well as your mixing station heater. Now there is no plugging in or unplugging of any cords. You can label the switches and make it really clean , and more automated.

6946575591_3b395a2aa8_b.jpg

This way everything is hidden and you can do most of your maintenance behind the room and not make a mess in your nice living area. Also, you can do all your tests, and put most of your maintenance equipment in the salt room.

This is my plan. Hope it helps you get some ideas.

SynRG, I like the way your thinking. Why have two 20 gallons and two dolly's taking up space when eventually the waste water will be going down the drain. I am now leaning towards one 20 gallon on a dolly for mixing new SW, moving it to the tank & then pumping it up and into the display. No longer will I drain off water into another 20g with dolly alongside of it because I will use the Aquarium Water Changer - 50 ft to accomplish that task. 50 feet should make it from my tank to the utility room and I am all for saving space.

Spirofucci, thanks for your compliments. I love you bonsai-esq scape!

LouDog3, I looked at and appreciate your attention to detail. My sump will be on the same side of the wall as the tank. Electronics are going on the back side. Also the back side is only a crawl space and I do not have room for my water change endeavors on that side. If I had room for a stand up dedicated salt room I would go your route and never look back. See what happens when we dont have all our components to setup our tanks? We 2x, 3x, 4x rethink every step of our process and drive ourselves mad with more and more DIY. It will all be worth it in the end though!

Looking @ Water Changes Part III

Why have two 20 gallons and two dolly's taking up space when eventually the waste water will sit in one for 30mins then be going down the drain?

I am now leaning towards one 20 gallon on a dolly for mixing new SW, moving it to the tank & then pumping it up and into the display. No longer will I drain off water into another 20g with dolly alongside of it because I will use the Aquarium Water Changer - 50 ft to accomplish that task. 50 feet should make it from my tank to the utility room and I am all for saving space. This also saves me $7.38

Sd14K.jpg

Research Link(s):

Aquarium Water Changer - 50 ft

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/review...t/list/id/1739/

20 Gallon Home Depot

RubberMaid Dolly

SynRG, I like the way your thinking. Why have two 20 gallons and two dolly's taking up space when eventually the waste water will be going down the drain. I am now leaning towards one 20 gallon on a dolly for mixing new SW, moving it to the tank & then pumping it up and into the display. No longer will I drain off water into another 20g with dolly alongside of it because I will use the Aquarium Water Changer - 50 ft to accomplish that task. 50 feet should make it from my tank to the utility room and I am all for saving space.

Spirofucci, thanks for your compliments. I love you bonsai-esq scape!

LouDog3, I looked at and appreciate your attention to detail. My sump will be on the same side of the wall as the tank. Electronics are going on the back side. Also the back side is only a crawl space and I do not have room for my water change endeavors on that side. If I had room for a stand up dedicated salt room I would go your route and never look back. See what happens when we dont have all our components to setup our tanks? We 2x, 3x, 4x rethink every step of our process and drive ourselves mad with more and more DIY. It will all be worth it in the end though!

There seems to be a lot of storage we can get rid of over there on the left side...lol

Looking @ Completed Sump

Tyler really did a nice job here. Communication has been top notch. He has addressed all my concerns and been very flexible. Highly recommended. The unit should be shipping Monday 3/5/12.

He made the decision to make the fuge a little smaller then the drawing because when he actually got everything cut and was laying it out the skimmer section looked too small and he was worried my skimmer would not fit, so he made the fuge a little smaller. Also he put the heater brackets in the fuge because he felt that is the only place they would fit without interfering with my skimmer and return pump. In the picture showing the Tunze ATO there is a bracket that the black tube will plug into, the bracket was just a little to fresh to attach the hose for the pics.

Forgive the slightly dusty pictures.

MfDn8.jpg

NfOuJ.jpg

EmERK.jpg

oFml9.jpg

Seeking comments good or bad!

You had to one up my sump. You just had to... J/K, looks awesome. Tyler is really good at what he does. :) But seriously, I'm jealous. :)

Oh, btw, I remember when I got pictures of my sump. I thought it looked beautiful just like yours...and then I got it in person....

and it was 10x better than the pictures portray. Seriously. I expect you to be floored when you see how great it looks. :)

Tank & skimmer have shipped!

Pickup Date: 03/02/2012

ETA Date: 03/08/2012

omgomgomg

I'm still going to beat you.

:lol:

Looking @ Water Changes Part III

Why have two 20 gallons and two dolly's taking up space when eventually the waste water will sit in one for 30mins then be going down the drain?

I am now leaning towards one 20 gallon on a dolly for mixing new SW, moving it to the tank & then pumping it up and into the display. No longer will I drain off water into another 20g with dolly alongside of it because I will use the Aquarium Water Changer - 50 ft to accomplish that task. 50 feet should make it from my tank to the utility room and I am all for saving space. This also saves me $7.38

Sd14K.jpg

Research Link(s):

Aquarium Water Changer - 50 ft

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/review...t/list/id/1739/

20 Gallon Home Depot

RubberMaid Dolly

I got several PM's In order to close the loop on this I will update.

Drain

Using vinyl tubing (1/2" ID) and a used MJ900 I will pump water from both the display and sump; 39 feet away up and into my utility room sink. I already ran the test and it works perfectly. I will use a turkey baster to stir up anything I need sucked away. No need for the Aquarium Water Changer and having to worry about siphon.

Refill

I purchased one 20g Rubbermaid Container and Dolly.

Using vinyl tubing (1/2" ID) and a new MJ900 I will mix salt water here and then roll it over to pump into the display.

Looking at Rock Cycling

Rock is in two separate tubs each with a power head, a heater and a cover (to keep evap down).

They both smelled for the 1st few days but now the smell has gone away mostly.

This is Pukani Dry rock from BRS.

The tests seem to indicate I had one mini cycle but the large main cycle has not occurred yet?

The rock has only been in there for 1 week.

I only tested @ the 1 week mark.

Could ammonia have already spiked and went to zero in that time frame? I don't think so...............

tMu4v.jpg

So my non existent Ammonia reading maybe mine/kit fault.

Lets take a look at the test kit instructions.

dAbYf.jpg

So add the 1st packet, shake, wait, then the 2nd packet & shake/wait. OK, moving on.

wa2YG.jpg

But wait all the packets are the same so I guess the instructions call for two of the same packet added to the vial at different times. OK, moving on.

VCsrs.jpg

But wait the rear leads me to believe there are two different ammonia packets to be adding since the warnings for each are different.

Problem is in the sleeve is only one kind of reagent for Ammonia. I am stumped. Here is a link to the kit:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=14740

Guess time to buy another test kit while I wait for my salifer kit from BRS.

I wouldn't trust results from this test kit.. It doesn't look too legit. Did it come with some salt or something?

Sounds like you're gonna have super easy water changes!

Archived