Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Custom Look CadLights 50Long

twan

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Power restored yesterday around 4pm.

140hours without power.

Generator used for about 100 of those hours.

Zero livestock loss.

I was prepared and also very lucky.

Thanks to everyone who offered help through the storm.

I wish I could have done something to help others but I had my hands full with the tank and the baby.

Power restored yesterday around 4pm.

140hours without power.

Generator used for about 100 of those hours.

Zero livestock loss.

I was prepared and also very lucky.

Thanks to everyone who offered help through the storm.

I wish I could have done something to help others but I had my hands full with the tank and the baby.

I'll bet that must be a nice feeling to have the power back on!!

I have used my generator three times this past year, for dumb non emergent power outages, ie, new construction in the area, and the power company just turning off our power, and thunder storms.

For what we have invested in our tanks, I think having a generator is a small price to pay. imo.....

Thanks Spiro. I got a lot of questions on another forum as to why I didnt leave the generator running constantly.

When I started I did run it constantly. When it became clear it was going to be a long outage and stations near me ran out of gas I needed to take action.

The tank was never without circulation due to the ecotech battery backup powering 2 mp10's.

All other equipment was off for no more then 3 hours at a time.

If supply of gas and the length of the outage were not issues I woulda ran the generator 24/7 for up to 3 days.

In he end I was out for double that time (6 days) so I am glad I rationed or I might not have made it

without driving around other cities looking for gas.

I also saved 20g of gas by going on/off as well as saving operating

hours on the unit that leads to more maintenance costs.....all at the cost

of my sanity.

• 4 weeks later...

Just read through your entire build thread, very detailed and I learned a lot actually. Glad to see you made it through the storm, excited to see the tank mature further.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lets get updated:

• Won the battle with Cyno, battle with hair algae is half over.

• Lost a torch and gonipora to the cyno.

• Fragged the staghorn as the main colony is a magnet for hair algea.

• Steady growth on everything else.

• No new additions, would like 1 more fish and some more SPS for the tanks 1 year birthday coming in April.

• stable tank parameters thanks to the apex.

FTS:

adC0Pz6.jpg

Side shot:

Pqxmdyu.jpg

Birdsnest growing rapidly:

cHYQH4g.jpg

Grubes Gorgonian loving high flow:

v3PBCnD.jpg

Yellow leather and SPS island:

0YDjQDI.jpg

Red Planet Tabling:

Fg2boWI.jpg

Looking good twan

This is probably easy, but on the Apex, how do I get my skimmer to turn on 5 minutes after my return pump turns back on?

• 1 month later...
Lets get updated:
1.) Tank will be 1 year since water added on 4/13/13.
2.) I won the battle with hair algae except for 1/2 a dozen spots. They are the width of a dime and by the time my bi-weekly water change rolls around they get about 2 inches long. I manually remove them as best I can while siphoning in the area during the water change. I cannot remove the rocks where it is because they are integral parts of the aquascape.
3.) The staghorn main colony is only just surviving while the 2 frags I made of it are flourishing.
4.) Looking to add another fish soon.
5.) My PH has been very consistent and spikes to 8.25 at the tail end of my light cycle and drops to 8.11 before the the lights go back on. I think this is right where I want to be, can someone confirm? I do notice however that in the 2 days after a water change (reef crystals) that my PH will spike to 8.40. Cause for concern?
My next post will recap the 1 year journey!

Damn. This thing is has become so sick. Keep up the good work dude

TYVM! ;)

Whatever happened to the wrasse?

No idea, Never found the body! :huh:

• 5 months later...

Ran into an issue yesterday after 16 months of continous Apex use without issue.

Aware

Noticed at 5pm that the display unit was dead.

The OSC email alarm I have programmed worked fine at 12 noon so I know this situation lasted no longer then 5hrs.

I had yellow blinking lights on both EB8's and the WMX.

My devices seemed to be running or not running based on the fallback statements I have in my programming.

The weird thing is I saw the lights on both heaters on even though I have fallback off statements for them to be off (more on that later).

Actions

I first checked the main apex control unit & it did not have any error lights.

I unplugged the aquabus cable from the unit which cut power to all devices and waited 5 minutes.

When I plugged it back in everything went back to normal but I see my tank is now a very warm 83.4 degrees.

Heater Settings

I have two 150w Ebo Jager heaters ( for redundancy backup) set to 79deg on the dial.

My programming language for both outlets is as follows:

Fallback OFF
If Temp > 79.0 Then OFF
If Temp < 78.5 Then ON
If Temp < 70.0 Then OFF

Questions

1.) What caused my EB8's and WMX to go blinking yellow? I do not believe there was a power outage that sparked this. When I have had power outages in the past either running off a whole house generator or when power is restored my Apex in the past always synched back up.

2.) Why did my heaters continue to stay on when the manual ring on them is set to 79 and the outlet language looks ok to me?

Do I need a "set" statement in there?

Side Question

That reminds me. I have not recalibrated the PH or Temp probe.

What interval is reccomended to perform this task?

Sounds like it's time to contact Neptune to see if they can assist you with the yellow lights and the other issues. Does the controller show that power was cut and restored during the event?

Possibly the thermostats on the heaters both went out however slight the chance might be. Did you calibrate those Ebos before? If you haven't I would take a look at doing so. I would recalibrate the pH probe every 6 months or so.

Yep, I would put the set and/or fallback statement on there just in case. Since you're using two heaters for redundancy, you can do the following:

Main heater:

Fallback OFF
If Temp < (desired temp) Then ON
If Temp > (desired temp + variance) Then OFF
If Temp < 60.0 Then OFF

Secondary heater:

Fallback OFF
If Temp < (desired temp minus variance) Then ON
If Temp > (desired temp) Then OFF
If Temp < 60.0 Then OFF

The fallback statements keeps the heaters off in case something were to happen to the controller.

The apex did not show power interruption, that is until I pulled the aquabus cable to reset it myself.

All is back operating normal now.

I will keep an eye on the heater(s) and the apex.

I have an IP cam on the tank and the apex texts me what I need to know..........but all that requires a properly connected network.

Maybe my home network hiccuped?

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Been almost a year since I updated this thread but with some recent private messages I thought I would pop over.

YES THE TANK IS STILL RUNNING! I will have pics later this week. Here are some fast notes.

Livestock

- I have not lost a single fish (the yashia sometimes is missing for days then I see him again so he must move burrows often)

- Hermits were taking out all my snails so I do not run any crabs in the tank anymore.

- No corals added, but those in tank have been fragged many times.

- Lost 2 gonipora's as I cant seem to keep them alive.

Water Quality

-All parameters are in line and I am still using Reef Crystals salt.

-I have unexplained red slime algae breakouts about once a month. When this happens

I do a 2 day lights out and it goes away, still unexplained though.

Equipment

- Had an MP10 dry side die on me after 1 and 3/4 years of no performance issues. The motor just gave up. Ecotech provided a refurbished one at a great price and fast shipping.

-Other then that no issues and I want to say that the APEX was my best purchase ever along with a webcam on the tank.

Maintenance

- Bi-weekly water changes of 15g and the sump is 1/2 drained and cleaned each change.

The tank is now 2 & 1/2 years old. Still battling some red slime and GHA on and off.

Here are new shots:

ScudiWc.jpg

TMHnSxh.jpg

Here are comparison shots from 1.5 years ago when I last took pictures:

mPq9Vur.jpg

brTiNo9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived