Innovative Marine Aquariums

too many snails?

claytonfaulkner

claytonfaulkner

I made an order or reefcleaners for about 40 snails of the 40 I was supposed to get 15 dwarf ceriths. I floated the bags to acclimate them and then dumped them in without counting. Well after they were in the tank I counted at least 50 of the dwarf ceriths. I have about 27 on the side glass at one time. Is this too many? Should I try to take some out? Also there were quite a few tiny hermit crabs thrown in, are there any hermit crabs that are harmful?

I think all the baby snails look kinda gross, I wish I would have just gone with a few of the bigger ones.

Reefcleaners will definitely give ya your money's worth.

1) Keep all the snails and add a veggie clip with some nori to feed your snail hoard.

2) Take out what ya want and trade them to your LFS for store credit

3) Hook up a local reefer with your extras.

Dwarf ceriths are so small, don't worry about it.

Their population will level itself out, but I don't think any will starve. That being said, supplimental feeding for the CuC is not something I agree with. They're there to clean and eat nusience algae. If you feed them, they'll stop tidying up your messes.

I would just hang on to them.. the only thing an oversized CuC can cause is an extra clean tank.

If you find them unasthetic, you can remove them. I like my snails. I did have quite a overage when I got my CuC from him (like, 150+ instead of 10). I added 15-20 to the 1 gallon tanks, and donated the rest to a friend.

Could I get something to eat them?

Now why would you want to do that? They are beneficial to your tank by eating nuisance algae.

If nothing else do what Mojorizn said and take them to the LFS for store credit. No use in spending additional money on something to eat them when you could either A.) Reap their benefits or B.) Make a few $$ from them.

claytonfaulkner
Now why would you want to do that? They are beneficial to your tank by eating nuisance algae.

If nothing else do what Mojorizn said and take them to the LFS for store credit. No use in spending additional money on something to eat them when you could either A.) Reap their benefits or B.) Make a few $$ from them.

Ok I will rephrase, are there any cool inhabitants I could get that just happen to eat snails?

Okay. Let's put it into simpler terms. You DO NOT have too many snails.

Honestly, once the dwarfs find your rockwork, you'll have a hard time seeing them at all. As for the crabs, leave them in there for now. Sometimes they manage to hitchhike in with snail orders.

Hopefully this post--along with the similar noobish posts elsewhere--doesn't convince John to start cutting back on his generosity.

My guess is that you are endowed with extra snails because they will eventually level out on their own. I have to replenish mine every so often because of die-off.

Archived