Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Please help

hawk

i have this brown slime sludge algae that taking over my 20 long. im using ro/di water and doing 20-30% water changes monthly. what im wanting to know is what is it and how the hell do i get rid of it????????? i tryed uploading pic but could not sorry... update got a pic to upload here is that crap im talking about

post-72286-1328203167_thumb.jpg

i have this brown slime sludge algae that taking over my 20 long. im using ro/di water and doing 20-30% water changes monthly. what im wanting to know is what is it and how the hell do i get rid of it????????? i tryed uploading pic but could not sorry

Ah. I have good advice. Cut amount of feeding in half. Change 30% water weekly, not monthly. Get phosphate reactor. Invest in high quality skimmer. DO THE FIRST 2 AND YOULL BE ALGAE MOSTLY GONE. DO THE LAST 2 AND YOUR TANK WILL BE SPOTLESS.

altolamprologus

Do what nanocuber1 said, with particluar emphasis on weekly water changes. Test your water for nitrate and phosphate. Also siphon out as much algae as possible in every water change.

Ah. I have good advice. Cut amount of feeding in half. Change 30% water weekly, not monthly. Get phosphate reactor. Invest in high quality skimmer. DO THE FIRST 2 AND YOULL BE ALGAE MOSTLY GONE. DO THE LAST 2 AND YOUR TANK WILL BE SPOTLESS.

i have some kind of phosphate pad now. do i need some thing else? and the alage seens to be mainly on the sand. thanks for the help

altolamprologus

The pads are usually pretty slow at removing phosphates. I would test your water to see where you stand and just do more water changes. You can also get nass snails to stir the sand around and prevent algae buildup.

BTW is your algae stringy like the pic in the link above, or is it flat?

The pads are usually pretty slow at removing phosphates. I would test your water to see where you stand and just do more water changes. You can also get nass snails to stir the sand around and prevent algae buildup.

BTW is your algae stringy like the pic in the link above, or is it flat?

nass snails????? i have 5 little blue legged crabs 2 hermit crabs 2 snails and an emerald crab. think i need any more cleaning crew????

and the algae is flat and stringy. stringy when it attaches itsself to the rocks but flat on the bottom

altolamprologus

Nassarius snails. They are carnivorous snails that eat leftover food off the sand and will stir the sand quite well, whereas hermits will just pick algae and food off rocks and the very top of the sand.

The stringiness of the algae may indicate dinoflagellates, but without pics we can't know for sure. Dinos are very very hard to get rid of and need a very strong course of action to have any hope of eradicating them. Start by doing a 50% water change and removing all visible algae. Then continue doing 30% a week and manually removing it until it is completely gone.

I'm currently going through the same thing...what a pita

but what they say

1) lights out for 2-3 days

2) feed less

3) increase flow if its low

4) water change and siphon out the dinos

Nassarius snails. They are carnivorous snails that eat leftover food off the sand and will stir the sand quite well, whereas hermits will just pick algae and food off rocks and the very top of the sand.

The stringiness of the algae may indicate dinoflagellates, but without pics we can't know for sure. Dinos are very very hard to get rid of and need a very strong course of action to have any hope of eradicating them. Start by doing a 50% water change and removing all visible algae. Then continue doing 30% a week and manually removing it until it is completely gone.

i was able to get a pic to upload is this what your refering to as the dino????????????????

Looks like cyano is your tank new?

the trank hass been up and running for 4-5 months with 2 damnsels 5 small blue legged crabs 2 big hermit crabs 2 snails and a emerald crab. whats cyano and how do you get rid of it?

Just have to get your parameters in check with the above suggestions very common in new tank. Try adding more flow if you don't have a lot right now.

altolamprologus

Lol relax dude that's just cyano. Every tank gets a bloom of it. Siphon it out and do a water change. It's nothing to worry about. If you want you can get some cerith snails from John at reef cleaners. They love to eat cyano

Lol relax dude that's just cyano. Every tank gets a bloom of it. Siphon it out and do a water change. It's nothing to worry about. If you want you can get some cerith snails from John at reef cleaners. They love to eat cyano

i have siphoned it out like 3 times this #### keeps coming back. it a real pain in the ass.. thanks alot for all the help... so other than the cerith snails is there anything else? and is reef cleaners a wedsite?

i have siphoned it out like 3 times this #### keeps coming back. it a real pain in the ass.. thanks alot for all the help... so other than the cerith snails is there anything else? and is reef cleaners a wedsite?

This makes me think flow is a problem, as I only ever have cyano pop up in very low flow areas

This makes me think flow is a problem, as I only ever have cyano pop up in very low flow areas

the only thing i have is a return from my sump i dont have any powerheads.. such a small tank do you think i need them. plus not wanting to put a whole lot into this tank because i would like to up grade. this is my first and wanting to go up to a 75 gal

Archived