Cultivated Reef

Purple firefish & conflicting experience with Royal Grammas

Brew boy

Hi everyone,

After keeping my 10 gallon reef for approximately 18 months, I am ashamed to say I neglected it. But after a break of about 6 months, I am thinking about getting it going again in a few months time, because I know how much I miss having it up and running. I originally wanted to just keep a pair of purple firefish, but it seems getting a mated pair here in the UK would be more difficult than I thought.

Anyways, back to the question. Basically, after reading around on here and other sites, I have found conflicting advice on housing a Royal Gramma and Purple Firefish together. The aquascape will be based around a central column, so will the gramma take all the rock as it's own, and not allow any one else near by? I would (obviously) add the firefish first, but being as timid as they are, will this be enough as there is little room for the firefish to escape to? Would getting as smaller specimens as possible help any? I kind of get the impression that the temperaments of the fish is variable between individuals, has anyone found this themselves?

Would there be anything I could do to help the situation (I was planning on using plumbing pipes to support the rock structure which the fish could retreat into)?

Does anyone have any alternative fish suggestions if it is a no go?

PS I know it'd be pushing the bioload, but I kept a pair of clowns successfully before swapping them out for a mandarin who survived for about 9 months until I shamefully neglected the tank. I stayed on top of the bioload issue with twice weekly water changes.

Royal gamma is a basselet.....I just added a helfrich with an assessor - one of the more docile basselets...the assessor doesn't like the helfrich's fire and flares up any time there is food in the tank. Then again the assessor was first.there is plenty of rockwork. and im in a 25 gallon...i could not imagine a 10.

Royal gamma is a basselet.....I just added a helfrich with an assessor - one of the more docile basselets...the assessor doesn't like the helfrich's fire and flares up any time there is food in the tank. Then again the assessor was first.there is plenty of rockwork. and im in a 25 gallon...i could not imagine a 10.

Thanks for the reply, I'd expect that if the gramma (or any basselet) was in there first, and I am starting to think it'd be pushing it in a 10.

Anyone else have any experience in a tank this small?

The one thing to remember is you want to see your fish.My pruple firefish hides always when intro to tank I had a longnose hawkfish who got a little aggressive toward the firefish after a few weeks.Only thing I could do was remove one or the other. Being as I didnt want to disturb my scape I elected to remove the hawk.Now 4 weeks later STILL NO SEE firefish unless its feeding time then only glances,really ashame it is beautiful.

Gl with your decision either way add the more peaceful of the two first. My firefish doesn't hide, nor dose the assessor, granted they don't like each other but they've accepted the fact they're both there and there was only one warning nip within the first two hours of being in the tank. Going on day 3 now and only flares of fins if one enters the others feeding grounds during chow time

My experience with brackish fish taught me that aggressive fish are even more aggressive towards fish of similar coloration, that being said, I wouldn't worry about the firefish attacking the gramma, but rather the opposite, so I'd get a small gramma and a medium sized firefish, and introduce the firefish first.

I had a helfrichi and a gramma in my 50 for a perio of time. The gramma is a bit pushy and I partially blame it for the death of my helfrichi. They were together for quite some time but he was still a jerk.

I'd say no to this and if you do definately add the firefish first.

Thanks for all the input guys, I still don't know what I'm going to do (plus when I think I have decided, I change my mind the next day anyway!) and it won't be for several months anyway.

The one thing to remember is you want to see your fish.

This is an excellent point, and one that is sometimes forgotten in this hobby! I think my ideal stocking would be either a firefish pair, so maybe I should just keep on trying to find them!

Or just get a gramma on it's own and hope it's one that won't hide in the rock all the time... Who knows?

Thanks again.

Archived