inTank Media Baskets

Found a baby hydroid

mattidallama

I found a tiny little hydroid on one of my live rocks this morning. it almost looks like a tiny feather duster i cant seem to get a picture of it at all. should i be worried about it in my tank of can i just keep it there its not touching anything at the moment and is on a small piece of LR so if it needs to be nuked it wont be much of a problem but it looks sort of cute haha right now. thanks in advance for the advice and ill try to take a picture of him but hes so tiny i double my camera will focus on him

JamieSheffield
I found a tiny little hydroid on one of my live rocks this morning. it almost looks like a tiny feather duster i cant seem to get a picture of it at all. should i be worried about it in my tank of can i just keep it there its not touching anything at the moment and is on a small piece of LR so if it needs to be nuked it wont be much of a problem but it looks sort of cute haha right now. thanks in advance for the advice and ill try to take a picture of him but hes so tiny i double my camera will focus on him

I had an outbreak of them a month ago, and then they essentially disappeared...no worries.

Jamie

An excellent question. I've been in this hobby for 3 years and I haven't an exact answer for you. I know that removing them has been a nightmare for some, but I've never had a problem with them myself. I've had one in my rock work for a year now and it's never spread. It's actually kind of pretty when you shine the right light on it. It has iridescent cyan blue tips.

You can try and kill it same as aptasia. I like to use scalding hot water, but I'm willing to bet even aptasia-x would work.

I could be wrong, but I believe hydroids are mostly a problem when trying to keep particular livestock. I recommend doing a onsite search and seeing what it turns up.

Search

It's not as conversational, but it's full of great advice. :)

JamieSheffield
ya just dont want it to get crazy and kill everything in my tank so im just cautious.

When in doubt, don't do anything but look at the pretty tank...

Jamie

now that i look threw a decent amount of topics i noticed probably 20 tiny hydroids on my glass the first one was about 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch in diameter while these new ones are so small they just look like little dots clinging and swaying in the water connected to the glass now im getting a little worried cause one is no problem to get rid of it they are bad but 20 seems harder. everyone keeps saying that the little ones like i have no on my glass are not bad. Did not notice these earlier because i just installed new lights.

ill keep a really good eye on everything now but if i decide to get rid of them is there any creature that will eat them for me?

they dont really look too much like that they look like a tiny closed cup or bowl attached to the glass by a tail almost

Archived