inTank Media Baskets

February 2012 Reef Profile - imisky

Christopher Marks

Congrats imisky! The tank is awesome, one of my favorites :happy: Well deserved!

Thanks animalmaster6 everyone's giving me too much Congrats!

Congrats on the TOTM imisky,

I am in the process of setting up a tank and will be using 4 Rapid LED PAR 38's and was thinking of adding 2 36in T-5's to the canopy. My question is can you still see thie shimmer of the LED bulbs with the t-5's?

Thanks for your help!

Yup you can still see it, the t5s will remove some of the banding effect that LEDs by themselves give off

Thanks animalmaster6 everyone's giving me too much Congrats!

Yup you can still see it, the t5s will remove some of the banding effect that LEDs by themselves give off

Great, thanks for the info.

Congrats! Amazing tank! Have you thought about what you are going to replace your tang with when he moves on to a bigger ocean? If you aren't sure yet I would recommend checking out a Midas Blenny. You'll get the yellow you had in your tang, but more personality, and you will be able to keep him permanently! The way they swim is so cool, and I think one would look spectacular in your tank! Just a thought. Amazing reef! Love the open aquascape and placement of corals!

Congrats! Amazing tank! Have you thought about what you are going to replace your tang with when he moves on to a bigger ocean? If you aren't sure yet I would recommend checking out a Midas Blenny. You'll get the yellow you had in your tang, but more personality, and you will be able to keep him permanently! The way they swim is so cool, and I think one would look spectacular in your tank! Just a thought. Amazing reef! Love the open aquascape and placement of corals!

Thanks Kfmmarin, I havent really thought too much into what fish to replace the tang with. I do like the mini-dart fish that I got recently and might try to get a nice looking school of them say....30+ so or wouldnt look too bad. It hasnt really been attempted by anyone yet I dont think, and would be nice to have a group of them going.

The Midas blenny might work as well if Im not going to go with the mini-darts, Had a few blennies in the past and loved the personality they brought to a tank

very nice. amazing to see such a neat system when you have such little time to maintain. way to go!

skimmer is the key to success....do you spend a lot of time maintaining the skimmer?

very nice. amazing to see such a neat system when you have such little time to maintain. way to go!

skimmer is the key to success....do you spend a lot of time maintaining the skimmer?

The system is pretty self maintaining, I empty the content of the skimmer cup 1-2x a week and clean the skimmer of all the gunk that build up on my water change days (sunday). So I would say the total amount of time maintaining the skimmer is max 15mins throughout the week. I do take the skimmer out every 2-3 months or so and give it a acid bath but other then that no other work is done on it. :)

Nice Tank. How is the talbots temperament? Is there anything that I should be aware of if I were to get one once I upgrade to a 40 gallon?

The talbots are pretty much as mellow as it gets for damsels. I started out with about 8, and when they start to pair up they will start to pick each other off in a tank. I am now down to a breeding pair, and they constantly lay eggs. The female picks on pretty much anything that goes near her breeding ground while the male just doesnt care.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, total n00b question here:

What does ULNS stand for?

BTW LOVE the tank!

ultra low nutrient system :)

• 2 months later...

Congratulations! Your slice of reef heaven is magnificent! I am looking for some new supplements and am now curious about the Zeo supplements you are using. Are they good for all corals both soft & hard. I have been using the Brightwell 2 part dosing system and am wondering if I do switch to the Zeo, will I still need to use the 2 part?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Archived