ReefCleaners.org

How many LEDs for a 20 long?

bobby

Lengh x width = suface area square inch

Surface area/15sqin = total of white & royal blue leds. Ex : 100sq inches is 6.6 leds...so 7 leds - 4rb 3wh

Add colors you want to this number so if you have a number of 7 but want to add blue, red, violet, turquoise it would be your total number of 7 plus the additional of colors

Sorry was looking at cree or the luxeons on steves leds. The kit for a 24 to 34 inch tank Hs 28 LEDs which seems high for a 20L IMHO so that's why I was asking. I was thinking of adding 7 luxeon cool whites and 7 royal blues. Does anyone think this is enough light? I don't want any sps, however I may add a small BTA.

Deckoz calculations seem pretty good. You should be fine with that many, but I would go with the seven of each that you are considering; if anything you will more even coverage that way. You might still want to look at supplemental colours as well.

20L are pretty narrow so its really only the LED density along the central axis that will matter.

Thanks for the input. By dekoz calculaton I would need 24, but I didn't know it made a differene on the depth of the tank. Is this a general rule for all tanks? I don't want too much light, but I don't want too little light either.

Thanks for the input. By dekoz calculaton I would need 24, but I didn't know it made a differene on the depth of the tank. Is this a general rule for all tanks? I don't want too much light, but I don't want too little light either.

I would say given the shallow depth of the tank, you could keep virtually anything with 18-20 LEDS. Make sure your kit is dimmable also. I promise 20 CREES wont be too little light

Archived