Coral Vue Hydros

PH Issues

indyjaco

Hey all,

I thought my tank was ready for snails so after 22 days of cycling and good parameters I did a 4 gallon water change tonight in preparation for them.

After the fact the PH is still 7.8 or so and down from the 8.0 it was at yesterday. I've been told don't worry about it, but i'm concerned that when I do add fish they will be shocked. I tested the distilled water i've been using and its around 7 for a ph. I'm using reef crystals for my salt mix. I had the new water circulating all night. Could their be an issue with the salt or do I need to increase the SG of my water.

SG is 1.023, FOWLR.

Any help is appreciated.

altolamprologus

I first start by agitating the surface more and getting more fresh air in the house. Often the problem is simply too much dissolved CO2

acclimate fish slowly, stop checking ph. For FOWLR focus on doing (monthly) water changes. Monitor temp and SG.

I know I should stop checking it, is there any reason mine is low? I'm just finding every concern possible before I add life to the tank. At least I have two thermometers and a refractometer.

I am planning on doing changes of 4 gallons (15%) bi weekly.

Thanks.

I know I should stop checking it, is there any reason mine is low? I'm just finding every concern possible before I add life to the tank. At least I have two thermometers and a refractometer.

I am planning on doing changes of 4 gallons (15%) bi weekly.

Thanks.

Just point your powerhead towards the surface. That'll aerate the water,

15% biweekly is a bit much, but monthly is a bit too little. Most people have success with about that much once a week. Unless your bioload is super high and you feed your fish too much.

+1 to stop testing pH. It is a complicated parameter. Any pH of 7.8 or above is not low. You should not be concerned. Also, there is no such thing as too much (i.e. harmful) water changes. Many members do weekly water changes; 10-15% weekly is what's listed in the articles by the site's founder.

This link below gives specific "normal" ranges of pH and other water parameters and why the limits were chosen.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Archived