A Friendly Debate

PwnMe

What is the minimum tank size for one Clownfish  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Minimum Tank?

• 5-10 gallon
    • 10-15 gallon
    • 15-20 gallon

One of the major debates is the minimum tank size for various fish. As our tanks get smaller, more and more people wish to keep fish in them. Clownfish seem to be the fish of choice with anyone that has a nano-reef for many reasons including price, size, designer color variations, personality, Finding Nemo etc etc.

The issues that come with fish in a tank are whether the tank is big enough for the tank to freely swim, whether the tank can handle the bioload that the fish produces, and whether the owner of the fish is willing to care for the fish.

I wanted to engage in a friendly debate regarding this popular fish and to see what other community members thought. The pinned guide here lists the minimum tank size for the fish to be 7 gallons. The Nano-Reef Handbook also lists this as the minimum. However it seems as though every member disagrees with this tank size.

The question here is can you fit a Clownfish in a smaller nano-reef? Will it survive or will it thrive? What are the factors that are preventing a Clownfish from being in a smaller tank? Its size? Bioload? Swimming?

I picked the Clownfish because it seems like everyone wants to have like 10 of them in a 5 gallon tank. I do not own a Clownfish and I am not bias towards any one side or the other. Here are some interesting thoughts.

1. Clownfish have a weird method of swimming. The ones I have seen seem to wobble. Could this have any effect on the minimum tank size for the fish?

2. Could a strong current within the tank lower the minimum tank size requirement for the fish? It has to swim against the current. Would this keep it fit and healthy? Like if I was a inmate on a treadmill... is there a difference?

3. Lets use my tank for an example. It's an 8 gallon cube. 12 x 12 x 13. A Clownfish is 3" as an adult. That means the tank is about 4 times as long, wide, and high. I'm 6 foot tall. If we put me in a room that is 4 times as long, wide, and high will I thrive? That's a 24' x 24' x 24'. Doesn't seem like a prison to me.

This is meant as a friendly debate and I would like to learn from you guys since you all seem smart. What is the minimum tank size for ONE Clownfish given that the owner is diligent in water changes?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IBTL

Lame...

Read the rules and didn't see too much on picking the minds of the membership.

So that isn't why its going to be locked. Must be the fact that we all doubt that this will

end well.

I said friendly because mature people have friendly debates. 10 year old kiddos have

arguments. I assumed that most of the reef keepers here would be mature enough to

debate over such a subject.

I mean regardless of this thread... people are going to keep Tangs in 10 gallons and

Clownfish in Picos. If the intelligent members would kindly express why they should not be

allowed in small tanks that would benefit us all.

I mean... why does Igreen's guide say we can do it if 80% of you guys don't think we can?

Well at least the poll is getting results. It's exciting to see all the people voting without an explanation. I should be one of those people that conducts the US census. I'll go door-to-door taking down everyone's information.

I made an ASS out of U and ME. Well mostly me... I enjoy debating topics like this instead of blindly following an outdated guide and killing fish due to massive bioloads in a 5 gallon tank.

3. Lets use my tank for an example. It's an 8 gallon cube. 12 x 12 x 13. A Clownfish is 3" as an adult. That means the tank is about 4 times as long, wide, and high. I'm 6 foot tall. If we put me in a room that is 4 times as long, wide, and high will I thrive? That's a 24' x 24' x 24'. Doesn't seem like a prison to me.

You could leave your 24' x 24' x 24' room whenever you choose try staying in there for an eternity. A clownfish in a 180 gallon tank is still cramped in comparison to an actual reef.

I would say most tanks under 7 gallons don't offer ample room to swim freely.

Ok fine... I see that I cannot win. Can we change the subject of the debate?

Favorite ice cream flavor?

I'm first... Vanilla.

It allows so many customizations without becoming too powerful

At least people are voting.

Don't expect people to give you a Harvard-worthy explanation for every simple question you ask.

And sarcastic remarks such the as ones above only make you look worse and worse.

Don't expect people to give you a Harvard-worthy explanation for every simple question you ask.

Hell I go to Penn State... I was expecting more of a middle school level debate.

I voted 10-15, mostly bc I noticed a significant spike in ammonia the day after adding a juvenile clown into my 10 gallon. It was just a shock to the system, and after that it was smooth sailing.

And sarcastic remarks such the as ones above only make you look worse and worse.

I appreciate your remark. Wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I was accepting the fact that no one was going to debate on a fun subject at least in my mind. Sorry that starting threads automatically makes me look bad. I shall stop posting like 90% of the membership. Thank you for showing me the error in my ways.

Later

I'm assuming you have been violated by the coaches?

THEY WERE TENDER TO ME!

No problem.

Like I said before, 10 gallons is fine for one Ocellaris/Percula clown. You never specified what type of clown, so I chose for you.

24'x24'x24' definitely sounds like a prison to me. If you are thinking in terms of staying in that comfined space for a couple minutes then no. You would eventually go crazy living in a 24'x24'x24' glass box. Especially since you can see everything that is happening around you but you are unable to leave your small cube. I usually tell people that 7 gallons is the minimum purely based on the information that I found on this site. I would much rather give a fish the best tank I can provide. I would personally go larger because they are a fish that swims around a lot. Mine are still juvenile and have not started to host so they are all over my 6 gallon aquarium. I am building a 40 gallon breeder tank with 20 gallon high sump to give them some room to swim so that when they decide they no longer want to be the size of a penny they will have plenty of room.

Archived