SaltCritters.com

RED SEA MAX 250 wroth it?

Rymah

looking at upgrading my tank but i absolutely love the AIO feel to my current BC29 im not really handy and dont feel comfortable drilling a tank and setting up a sump (im sure it will end with 40 gallons of salt water on my floor) does anyone have this tank? do you like it? is it possible to mod the hood for better lights?(currently run the nano-tuners upgrade on my BC) also is the stock skimmer worth having in there (is it better then the BC garbage?)

but i think most importantly is it worht the $$$ i would spend on it. im sure i can hire my LFS to come set up my tank and teach me how all the pipes work the RSM250 is 1600$ + tax

I am researching 50+ Gal tanks. The lights on the RSM 250 is the major turnoff for me.

yea i'm really worried about that as well, id have to buy an awesome looking AIO like that and have to rip off the lid right away to but after market lights on. with nano tuners gone is anyone making LED mods for AIO?

I upgraded from a BC 14 to RSM 130D, click my link below for the update I just did today. My dead frags are coming back to life under the T5s in the RSM.

My BC had an LED upgrade (ut I probably needed more light which is why my corals started crapping out)

Long story short, YES, this tank even with the stock light is worth it. Upgrading to LED's is possible and there are a few really good threads on the Stevie T RSM thread which have DIY upgrades.

I upgraded from a BC 14 to RSM 130D, click my link below for the update I just did today. My dead frags are coming back to life under the T5s in the RSM.

My BC had an LED upgrade (ut I probably needed more light which is why my corals started crapping out)

Long story short, YES, this tank even with the stock light is worth it. Upgrading to LED's is possible and there are a few really good threads on the Stevie T RSM thread which have DIY upgrades.

yours is the smaller version but id asume the skimmer is just a smaller version of the one on the 250, how does is do?

No the 250 is not worth the price. 1600 dollars for that AIO is a complete rip. But it is your money so spend it how you would like. You would be alot happier with a sump once you are all finished. Your sump holds what water drains out of the display in case a power outage. You run the same risk of a AIO overflowing as you do a sump if you do it right. Alot of people want a sump but are scared because the do not understand the plumbing.

No the 250 is not worth the price. 1600 dollars for that AIO is a complete rip. But it is your money so spend it how you would like. You would be alot happier with a sump once you are all finished. Your sump holds what water drains out of the display in case a power outage. You run the same risk of a AIO overflowing as you do a sump if you do it right. Alot of people want a sump but are scared because the do not understand the plumbing.

that's exactly my problem, i like the idea of a sump and ive read about that a lot but i just cant figure it out. if i went with a drilled tank is that something you can have your LFS do or would i have to drill it?

You can buy "reef ready" systems that are already drilled and have the overflows installed. Buy a prefab sump, and all you have to do is do some minor plumbing. I'm sure you can figure it out or if not, have the LFS or better yet, find a local reef club and see if a member can help you out.

I do see the allure of the RSM. They are beautiful tanks and they look more "finished" than anything you'll put together, but that's the premium you pay. Personally, I don't necessarily think its a ripoff. There is a market for that, and there are people that don't necessarily want to piece something together on their own.

For those reasons I started with a BC, and used it as my learning tank. Now I know EXACTLY what I want and I'm already in the process of my upgrade tank. I see where you are coming from. If you do plan on ripping a new RSM250 apart from the getgo, then I say pass on it. If you want it for what it is, and are OK with its shortcomings, I say go for it. Sometimes you cant have your cake and eat it too, or something like that?

Good luck. And if budget is not a concern, dont forget to look at Elos, and Cadlights. They also make pretty nice complete systems with minimal setup, but again, you will pay a premium.

I have the RSM 130d as well and I really love it. It is my first reef tank and the concept of an AIO and the Stevie T thread made this choice a no brainer. Having said that, if I get another tank it would be put together with seperate components because now I know what I'm doing, I think?

I think that in order to get the 250 just as you will probably want it, a lot of mods are in order, like a sump and improved lighting. But that is only a matter of spending more $$. Life reef does make a really nice "plug and play" sump for the 250.

Good luck and let us know what you decided!

Archived