Cultivated Reef

CAD 100G Artisan Build

LouDog3

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you have any issues with your bulkheads not fitting properly? I'm following another 100g CAD Artisan build on RC and he cannot get a 1" bulkhead to fit and 3/4" is too loose. Did you get your bulkheads directly from CAD or use another? Want to make sure I do not have the same problem.

Did you have any issues with your bulkheads not fitting properly? I'm following another 100g CAD Artisan build on RC and he cannot get a 1" bulkhead to fit and 3/4" is too loose. Did you get your bulkheads directly from CAD or use another? Want to make sure I do not have the same problem.

I haven't tried yet, so not sure.

I have been working on the Salt room and Mixing station. This is going to be a slow build, but doing all the prep work first.

I have read one like this, but it was due to CAD drilling the hole to close to the Overflow

I haven't tried yet, so not sure.

I have been working on the Salt room and Mixing station. This is going to be a slow build, but doing all the prep work first.

I have read one like this, but it was due to CAD drilling the hole to close to the Overflow

You might want to go ahead and test fit them since you guys both ordered your tanks around the same time. I saw the one you are talking about though, but this is a different issue. He did not get CAD to include the bulkheads and when he tried another brand he could not find any 1" that would fit. Hopefully it is an isolated case, but I will be sure to get CAD to test before shipping and buy the bulkheads from them just to be on the safe side.

Watching that too...

I will check when I get home tonight.

I have CAD's bulkheads, and I have some 1" Bulkheads from BRS for the salt mixing containers. I will test both and report back with my findings.

My specs are a 1.5" Drain and a 1" return, they should work fine. ( test fitted, but not water tested)

The 1.5" Drain bulkhead fits great, but the 1" is a little big( over drilled a little), but should work with the rubber gasket seal. I guess I will have to water test it soon.

I tried to use my 1" Bulkhead I received from BSR but it's a little too big for the 1" return. It's probably an exact 1" hole, but you will probably need a 1.5" hole to fit the 1" bulk head.

Hope that makes sense.

im looking into getting same tank, another reefer on reefcentral had same issues with return being too big they said it was because CAD uses metric fittings

Tagging along for the bulkhead convo. I am having CAD include them in mine. I will wait and see.

Other build figured out that CAD changed their return hole size starting with this latest batch. See below from CAD posted on their website yesterday:

"*2012 System updates: We have changed our return size from 1" to 3/4". This feature now helps us save space to have a more compact overflow box and easier plumbing installation without sacrificing a healthy flow rate of 1000GPH-1500GPH Max."

Can you explain how the water change system works?

RO/DI will auto fill in the left container. I will get a pic with the float valve installed later. SO you can use that for ATO water, as well as mixing salt. Once you are ready for making salt you do the following.

1. Close The upper ball valve on the T

2. Close the Lower Right ball valve on the right container

3. Open the left ball valve on the left container

4. Turn on the pump. (external)

Water from the RO/DI container ( Left ) will fill the Salt Container ( Right ).

Once the salt container is filled with RO/DI water do the following:

1. Turn off Pump (external)

1. Close off the left ball valve (Left Container)

2. Open right ball valve (right container)

3. Turn Pump back on (external)

4. Turn your heater on (right container)

5. Put your salt of choice in (right container)

Go grab a drink and let the pump circulate the water in the close loop to the salt container.

When you are ready to make your water change hook a hose up to the upper Ball valve run it to the refugium or your display tank

1. Turn off the pump

2. Attach hose to the upper t ball valve

3. Put hose in water(fug or display)

3. Open the upper T (ball valve)

4. Turn pump

5. Fill to your appropriate level

6. Turn pump off

7. Shut all valves to close

8. Watch RO/DI water start to Auto fill for next WC & for ATO

Hope I didn't make any errors.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, so the Black Edition AI's are on backorder....humm

Now I am back to the drawing board on lighting. Man, I can't win.

I am seriously considering switching to Maxspect P now, but don't see too many people rocking them. I would love to do Radion, but I can't justify spending another G-note. Looks like the maxspect use more colors than AI still has all the features I'm looking for but don't know too much about them. Man this sucks.

Ha, so the Black Edition AI's are on backorder....humm

Now I am back to the drawing board on lighting. Man, I can't win.

I am seriously considering switching to Maxspect P now, but don't see too many people rocking them. I would love to do Radion, but I can't justify spending another G-note. Looks like the maxspect use more colors than AI still has all the features I'm looking for but don't know too much about them. Man this sucks.

I know my buddy Lou at Worldwide Corals has two black SOL in stock right now. Give him a call 855.992.7333 The Black are really hard to come by right now, but 2 would get you started.

saltwatercoral

Very nice! I just looked through your build, and I have almost gone through the same thing with sheetrockin, muddin, and then being able to get the tank going! I have a 120 and 3 black SOL blues as well! You will love the lights! Good idea about the 2 brutes for water changes! Cant wait to see more pics and to see it get wet!

Archived