SaltCritters.com

Need help saving a tank and keeping a friend in the hobby

mamastarfish

I have a friend with a CB29 HQI that is in desperate need of help from all the good people here on nr.

This was his first tank that he decided to start after spending countless hours staring at mine haha.

His tank has been up for coming up on a year and up until 2 months ago it looked GREAT!

In my opinion he did a great job setting it up. Let the tank cycle for a good 2 months before he started adding corals or fish.

slowly added xenia, then frogspawn, then zoas and shrooms, then started to add sps which did well in his tank.

He was having a hair algae problem and purchased a sea hare.

The sea hare died but he caught it the day it happened and removed the dead slug and did a good 40% water change.

His parameters had always been great! And he was very good about testing weekly.

About a week after the sea hare died his tank started to deteriorate. :o

all his sps died accept for a few pieces, galaxia bleached and died, zoas started to melt and snails started to die.

when everything went to hell he had a pretty large ammonia spike and his nitrate/nitrite started to climb so he bumped up his water changes and continued to dose. (not sure what he was dosing but it was a two part with buffer, trace elements, calcium, etc. well rounded supplement)

I had him stop buying anything for the tank until it normalized and continue what he was doing.

all his parameters are now back to normal and have been normal for about a month now but the remaining livestock (BTA, maxi-mini, some zoas and shrooms, open brain, and a frogspawn) look terrible. His hair algae is going crazy and pretty much his entire clean up crew has died.

PLEASE help me out. I don't no where to go from here. I have only been in the game for about 2 years and I could really use some advice. He is on the verge of breaking down his tank and giving up and I don't want that to happen.

if you need any other information about the tank let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks guys

yes he does test for everything he doses. magnesium, calcium, iodine, ph, phosphates, nitrate, nitrite, sg.

he gets his water from a very good lfs. ro/di fresh with red sea salt. I use the same water and have never had a problem.

How deep is the sand bed?

His sand bed is 3"-4" because he eventually wanted to get garden eels.

How often is/was he doing his water changes and what %?

He changed his water 10% every 3 days after the sea hare died for about 2 weeks.

Now he is back to 20% once a week.

His sand bed is 3"-4" because he eventually wanted to get garden eels.

sorry no specific advice but garden eels need a MUCH deeper sand bed than that as well as having unique care. not for the average hobbyist

sorry no specific advice but garden eels need a MUCH deeper sand bed than that as well as having unique care. not for the average hobbyist

he was well aware of this.

Temperature fluctuations, power outage, stray voltage, salinity fluctuation, chemicals. Just to name a few. Give us a little bit more detail of the setup and care maintenance (parameters).

Sounds like it was something that occurred rapidly rather than a slow process. Look into the above. Sadly your friend might need to start from scratch if the tank went through a large cycle.

tank: bc29 Hqi

light: ushio 20k changed every 6 months. sitting as high as the HQI arm will allow. fuge light on 12 hour reverse cycle.

filtration: intank media baskets with chaeto, chemipure, puragen, floss.

parameters:

Calcium 450

SG 1.027

Temperature 79° F

PH 8.0-8.5

Magnesium 1000-1300

Phosphate near 0

Ammonia .25

Nitrate near 0

Nitrite near 0

It did happen very fast but I feel like the tank should be recovering faster.

Archived