Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tank Setup Day 1

Pseudo Gregoree

Pseudo Gregoree

ok well i got my ecosystem 40 filter today, and im quite impressed except for the fact that it did not come with the piping to get the water back to the main tank from the pump, but other than that it looks good.

Tomorrow i go get the 15 lbs of live rock and my sand bed as well as a good supply of copepods and caulerpa(sp).

So as ofdtoday we have

15 gallon tank

90 watts of pc lighting, 45 watts of blue, 45 watts daylight (see pic)

eco system 40 with built in wet/dry filter, refugium, and a nice place for my heater.

also a micro jet power head for some circulation in the main tank.

first questions:

how do i start the siphon into the ecosystem... the directions are very vague and i am new to the whole overflow box thing...

well heh i think thats it for now... the tank isnt quite as scratched up as it looks, i think just the light makes it look alot worse.

anyways, give me some feedback guys :)

thanks

heres the pics

tank.jpg

ecosystem.jpg

lights.jpg

(Edited by Pseudo Gregoree at 12:13 am on June 21, 2002)

The easiest way I know to start the siphon in an overflow is to stick an air line tube into the "U" tube so that the end of it is at the peak of the arch then put the "U" tube back with one end in the overflow and one end in the ecosystem(both ends have to be in water) then suck the air out and once all the air is out pull the air line out and turn on the pump that returns water to the main tank. The water moving from the ecosystem to the main tank will cause water to be siphoned through the "U" tube back into the ecosystem.

what my friend did was put a large air tube (1/2") thru the siphon tube thats in the overflow and start sucking to make a suction in order to pull the water. its rather hard, dont know if theres any easier way since he got ####ed when i pulled it out and he had to do it all over again.

Submerge the U tube in the tank so its completely full. Then take some plastic wrap. Cover each of the ends  you can rubber band the plastic wrap or just figgure out a way to hold it. Then flip it over and put it in place. Remove the plastic wrap and start the pump. Or if you could find some pvc end caps that would fit on the u tube you could use those. Might work, depends on if you can get your hands into the filter side to remove the stopper.  Whats the speed of the return pump from the eco system filter? You may need some more circulation on top of that little mini jet.

Nishant3789

aww! ure makin me jealous i wanted one of those! how much did it cost u? well yea baseically what everyone else saaid and its a pain in the ass to get the syphon started everytime. god kn0ows what all i have swallowed....... hth

nishant

A salesguy at a local LFS tried to sell me one of those when I was just starting out in the hobby. After he told me the price he made sure to say that I would never have to do water changes with the system. I'm not sure that I totaly believe that statement now, but back then I was sold on them (well atleast untill I did some more research).

Anyway, the  system is pretty cool, but it's simple enought that a person could probably build one out of plexiglass, GARF's mud receipe, and a 13 watt light from AHSupply. However, I did notice at the LFS that the bio balls had trapped huge amounts of green hair algae, which lead me to believe that you would probably have to clean out the bio balls semi-regularly.

Jason

Here's what I do.  I use the return pump tubing to start the siphoning.  Do it under the water and once it starts to siphon, you can easily move the siphon tube to the  overflow.

Good luck---Does this make sense?

Pseudo Gregoree

reefmania, no hehe that didnt make so much sense....

BUT i think the airline tube way should work for me.

that power head is called a mini-jet.  i cant remember the brand but it comes in a purple and grey box.  BUT it works AWESOME, retails for like 40$ but it pumps harder than my rio 6000 that cane with the eco system which retails for more i believe.  

I have the tank setup, just waiting for it to ncloud... pics coming soon.

Archived