inTank Media Baskets

glowing coral species?

akima283

I have been toying around with what direction I want my tank to go for types of coral. I decided that any coral that lights up like a firecracker under actinics will make me happy. If it doesnt glow, it goes.

I'm still a noob when it comes to identifying corals. I'm learning little by little. Soooo....my tank is a 3.5 gallon pico with LED's. Water params have been excellent except a little phosphate keeps showing up. I got some PhosGuard for that. I like how red acan and red shroomies glow, and I want to get GSP. I currently have a blue shroom, trumpet, and a florida ricordea.

What else glows, lives under LEDs, and won't sting everything in a 3.5 gallon tank?

altolamprologus

There's a pretty good article in the nov/dec 2011 issue of CORAL magazine about what pigments glow under different color lights.

here's one:

everlasting gobstopper's

like the Emeril of coral, BAM

That's what I'm talking about. Glow, baby, glow.

and I'll check out that Coral mag article as well :)

Do you want to keep SPS or LPS?

As much as I'd like to have SPS in this tank, I have learned the hard way that my LEDs don't cut it.

Just LPS and softies. Or really anything that will POP. Looking to acheive a major oooh-aaah factor.

Keep 'em coming.

One of my favorites under actinics is also one of the most common zoas there is; watermellons. The skirts are such a bright yellow under the royal blues it is crazy.

Yeah! I'm definately on board with this one! I love being able to look at my pico under the moonlights, only to see bright greens and oranges and yellows popping from across the room...

altolamprologus

I almost forgot I have 2 neon green rhodactis shrooms that glow super bright even under normal daylights. I've never been able to get a good pic because they always turn out as bright glowing blobs. They look like this (not my pic) coralie-pack-8-polyps.jpg

I almost forgot I have 2 neon green rhodactis shrooms that glow super bright even under normal daylights. I've never been able to get a good pic because they always turn out as bright glowing blobs. They look like this (not my pic) coralie-pack-8-polyps.jpg

I used to have some like that and some orange ones as well. Ahhh found a pic of them but they aren't under blues in this pic

IMG_4691.jpg

I've never been able to get a good pic because they always turn out as bright glowing blobs.

Thats exactly what I want! aaahhh....my eyes! the color!

scoly

post-70772-1328032822_thumb.jpg

omgomgomg *want*

$500 moolah

---------------------------

Definately some zoa's...maybe 2 or 3 types, have them in a zoa corner.

Red/blue aussie acan I saw at my LFS. popped under act's

Cant decide between GSP or frogspawn....hmm

I'll do a 'shroom room', one each of blue, neon green, and red and give them space to spread.

I like the fungia but I eventually want a goby. I won't have enough sand bed left :P

Anyone know a reputable place where I can get zoa's online, 2-5 polyps, for a decent price? I'll pay more for good color, but my LFS charges *outragous* prices for zoa's. liveaquaria has some nice ones but too many polyps per rock. I'm happy to just let them grow out, especially in my small tank.

cat eyes

Google revealed several things, cat eyes?

i just got a green monti cap that glows like crazy under my lights. 14K Phoenix MH and blue actinics

Does a monti have the same lighting requirements as aN acro?

altolamprologus
Does a monti have the same lighting requirements as aN acro?

Not even close. I have a green monti cap almost a foot below power compacts and it is super bright green

altolamprologus

I found this pic in my thread. It's the mushroom I was talking about. This pic was taken while testing out my friend's LEDs on my tank. As you can see from the background, the brightness had to be turned way down to actually see the coral, and even then it's super bright.

4cb978194a60__1307063748000.jpg

Archived